• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Temple Visits - Is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally being religious, pious, devoted, and believed to be having total faith in god, there is mostly a reward anticipated from God... People visit many temples housing different gods/goddess and many will still mention, that they are yet to get the benefits.

People start thinking "am i right in going to vinyagar, murugan, siva, narayanan, hanuman, shirdi sai temples ?" Among these gods/goddesses, who can/will deliver the expectations. Where should I continue visiting frequently?

It is important that more than materialistic rewards, obstacles removals expected, the very experience of god itself will be the hall mark and satisfying. Nothing more is required...

From my personal experience, in some temples ( varies from person to person!) had experienced vibrations, feel as if talking to the diety, manytimes on darshan itself will get tears even!

Those temples which are special need to be the favoured ones for the devotee and generally revisits frequently again and again. Sometimes, the moment you reach home, you will feel like revisiting!!

To name the favorite temples for me: Tirumala, sabarimala, RA Puram Kamatchi , Mandaveli mosque street Anjaneyar, my kulai deivam temple in my home town...

Does this mean progress towards life 's goal of realising god ? or ?

hi

i got tears in Tirumala and sabarimala many times....some times i prefer small sri vinayaga temple less crowd close to home...

like used to be in 70s and 80s...alwarpet anjaneyar and luz corner pillayar temple...not any more...

I dont think temples differ in terms of vibration etc...
Its just that when we are comfortable with a surrounding you can focus on what you came for hence some feel more connected to certain temples.

Simple eg.

Just say a couple who are in love want to talk to each other alone ..suddenly a friend shows up and decides to sit with them..surely the couple would feel unable to connect with each other and would want to go to a secluded place to spend time with each other.

Likewise..certain temples might make us feel more comfortable and connected.
Its mainly the play of our mind..just say we go to our favorite temple but we had skipped work for that day calling in sick ..then at the temple we see our boss..surely we wont feel any devotion or vibration anymore from the temple..we would just want to run and hide.

All human emotions and feelings are our personal reaction to our surroundings and desires.

Sometimes there is actually no magic..there is only logic that the mind is our best friend and our worst enemy.

I have a few friends, who like to dash against people and

have darshan of the God/ Goddess!! :bump2:

Most if them talk about vibrations they get in the crowd!! ;)

I used to visit every saturday irrespective of city. It was not for vibrations, just devotion ( or more of habit I guess) . Recently was in Hawaii, there also visited a temple.

Vanakkam,

Temple visits has a lot of worth. It gives a lot of memories, experiences and lessons.

For a newbie to a temple and ultra rationalist, temples may appear less interesting. But the moment a deity from the temple "chose to bless" the newbie/rationalist by any kind of way for e.g. exuding palpable vibrations, sights or messages by any means, there will be definitely a change of thinking and perception in the newbie or rationalist. So now, they become a believer or a bhakta . That is great.

For religiously inclined people, experiences and vibrations doesn't appeal anymore...they might throng to a temple just to be in communion with the deity. They look for any chances to help around the temple and make it convenient for others to come to the temple. They pick up sharp stones in the pavements, they collect flowers for the temple, they chip in for some functions in the temple. These all are done as they feel positive being a part of the system.

There are also a group of people where there do not feel anything at the temple. This can happen to both the religious ones and not so religious ones too. Here the temples gives them lesson to have some more soul development. God might want some changes in them in order to receive the long awaited grace? So do not despair if there's no connection felt in temples, work on yourself, you'll be rewarded.

A temple is a place of many things and wonders. It can be a place of granting wishes, it can be a place of having spiritual experiences, it can be a place where networking happens, it can be a place where one discovers new things. If one does not give a try, one may not experience anything...so try and see it for yourself.

Sri Manikkavasagar says in Thiruvasagam, 'avan arulAlE avan thAL vaNangi'- that succinctly concludes everything. Just pray/bow down to Him/Her we need His/Her grace. So, visit the temple and experience yourselves the experiences or lessons awaiting you.

When individual's efforts fail to get peace of mind, it searches some thing to hold. Visiting Temples or "holy abodes in nature" is one such effort to hold and seek inner peace.
According to one source, Temple worship is allain to Vedic thoughts of worship.Yajur Veda is clear when it declare "Na tasya prathima asti" (32:3) - meaning "There is no image of Him". Almost similar statement is repeated in Upanishads "Na tasya pratima asti"
"There is no likeness of Him." [Svetasvatara Upanishad 4:19]
Culmination of Bhakti is the aim of Temple worship.It is in Bhakti, which needs absolute faith and surrender to image, the worship arises.

But today visits to temple is mostly done in absolute hurry and discomfort. This may not give peace of mind.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

hi

i got tears in Tirumala and sabarimala many times....some times i prefer small sri vinayaga temple less crowd close to home...

like used to be in 70s and 80s...alwarpet anjaneyar and luz corner pillayar temple...not any more...

Dear Sri "tbs,

Tears are emotional outburst. Which is the result of deep involvement beyond the senses.Most researchers and psychologists believe that emotional tears—triggered by strong feelings such as joy and sadness—are unique to humans.
Extreme beauty of nature, a good painting or artistic work, poems, reach of an artist in music brings tears in my eyes. This I have experienced many times. That Italian Operatic Tenor Luciano Pavarotti takes me to shed tear without understanding a single word, similarly many musicians take us to emotional level and bring tears in our eyes. Similar experience I pass through when I read the Alwars Pasuram and Minivasagars poems.
These are a few who take us to Devine ecstasy !
Lord Krishna explains his "vibhudhis"in Githa Chapter 10 Bhagvan Shri Krishna on the request of Arjuna describes how he can be comprehended by his different manifestations. When we attune to these superlatives we reach the Devine experience.
Temples are the repositories of our Arts, music and Dances, where we try to attuned our minds to peace and joy.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

When individual's efforts fail to get peace of mind, it searches some thing to hold. Visiting Temples or "holy abodes in nature" is one such effort to hold and seek inner peace.
According to one source, Temple worship is allain to Vedic thoughts of worship.Yajur Veda is clear when it declare "Na tasya prathima asti" (32:3) - meaning "There is no image of Him". Almost similar statement is repeated in Upanishads "Na tasya pratima asti"
"There is no likeness of Him." [Svetasvatara Upanishad 4:19]
Culmination of Bhakti is the aim of Temple worship.It is in Bhakti, which needs absolute faith and surrender to image, the worship arises.

But today visits to temple is mostly done in absolute hurry and discomfort. This may not give peace of mind.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear Sir...

I wish Dr Zakir Naik could read your explanation quoting Na Tasya Pratima Asti...he would have a clearer understanding about Bhakti.

Its his favorite line..he keeps qouting Yajurveda on Na Tasya Pratima Asti to emphasize Image worship as Haram for Hindus too.

You explain it so beautifully.

नैनमूर्ध्वं न तिर्यञ्चं न मध्ये न परिजग्रभत् ।
न तस्य प्रतिमा अस्ति यस्य नाम महद् यशः ॥ १९

No one can grasp Him above, or across, or in the middle. There is no likeness(or equal) of Him whose name is great glory.

Last edited:
Dear Sir...

I wish Dr Zakir Naik could read your explanation quoting Na Tasya Pratima Asti...he would have a clearer understanding about Bhakti.

Its his favorite line..he keeps qouting Yajurveda on Na Tasya Pratima Asti to emphasize Image worship as Haram for Hindus too.

You explain it so beautifully.

नैनमूर्ध्वं न तिर्यञ्चं न मध्ये न परिजग्रभत् ।
न तस्य प्रतिमा अस्ति यस्य नाम महद् यशः ॥ १९

No one can grasp Him above, or across, or in the middle. There is no likeness(or equal) of Him whose name is great glory.

Thanks Doctor,

Yad yad vibhūtimat sattvaṁ śrīmad ūrjitam eva vā, tat tad evāvagaccha tvaṁ mama tejoṁśasaṁbhavam (Gita 10.41):

"Wherever these inscrutable majesties operate in excellence far beyond human comprehension, understand that as My glory."

For me God is an unknown factor, a word for the force beyond our comprehension, beyond the comprehension of faculties, like five senses, brain, mind and thinking power given to me in my birth !
With all these natural elements I can comprehend to some extent an answer for "how", but not for "why".
All the scriptures in the world cannot give an answer, each of us should search for the infinite power that had created this "universe". Temple worship is one of the beginning paths to discipline our mind.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Till recently I have visited thrice within a short span of time by taking advantage of the facilities extended to senior citizens. Whence I stold in front of deity LORD VENKATACHALAPATHY I do get positive vibration and that made to pray for and not self. In one of trips I was fortunate enough to stand before LORD VENKATACHALAPATHY for at least 10 seconds. In such instances my joy was boundless. The environment, ambIan centre that apart salubrious weather conditions made one automatically free from the worldly activities. Get it all depends upon the individual mind set to visit temple unmindful of the rewards derived by doing so, nothing but else. Nothing would come under any compulsion. It is worth and reward able.

Till recently I have visited THIRUMALA THIRUPATHY thrice within a short span of time by using the advantage of the facilities extended to the senior citizens. In fact I was very comfortable in all three visits
When I stood in prayer in front of LORD VENKATACHALAPATHY I FELT A POSITIVE VIBRACTION in me and prayed forr all and not for self.

In one of my such visit to TTHIRUMALA THIRUPATHI I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO PRAY FOR AT LEAST 10 seconds before the Lord Venkatachalapathy. I get tears inmy eyes triggrr automatically .I felt it as a boon.

Apart from that one can enjoy the ambience togather with the salubrious weather conditions that makes sometime forget the worldly happenings around him for some seconds. That is a blissfulness and should one feel and enjoy it when he is alone. It is highly worth in visiting temples. Generally nothing could be inspired either by inculcation or by compuslsion. The boon and bliss should be enjoyed according to his/her fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back