• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Does Hell Exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal view!

Hell does not exist! We humans are highly capable of creating one for ourselves!:lol:

I think most of our members will read the thread 'Think or Sink'. :ranger:

The anecdotes about some seniors will give an idea of what hell on Earth is!! :sad:

John Milton in his famous book "Paradise Lost" says:
"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..
(John Milton, Paradise Lost)
Similar quotations are available a plenty in our scriptures.
Mind creates situations either heaven or hell.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear Brahmanyan Sir,

The health condition in any stage of life, plays an important role

in making a person experience either heaven or hell!

Successful education, career and married life are the other factors.

Adhvaida Vedanta explains the mental aberration in the famous anecdote "Rope and the snake".This example originates from the commentaries of Gaudapaada on the Maanduukya Upanishhad. Seeing a rope in the dark, it is mistaken for a snake - an error or adhyaasa. We mistakenly superimpose the image of an illusory snake onto the real rope. Such a way we superimpose the illusion of objects etc. This is because of lack of knowledge. Mind decides on the basis of thought (past) or anticipated future. Interestingly there is no fear in the present which is based on experience which is knowledge.
Illuminated truth is knowledge.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Adhvaida Vedanta explains the mental aberration in the famous anecdote "Rope and the snake".This example originates from the commentaries of Gaudapaada on the Maanduukya Upanishhad. Seeing a rope in the dark, it is mistaken for a snake - an error or adhyaasa. We mistakenly superimpose the image of an illusory snake onto the real rope. Such a way we superimpose the illusion of objects etc. This is because of lack of knowledge. Mind decides on the basis of thought (past) or anticipated future. Interestingly there is no fear in the present which is based on experience which is knowledge.
Illuminated truth is knowledge.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

The mind perceives a snake in place of a rope when the eyes see a rope. That does not mean that there is nothing existing called snake. Snake is real and rope is also real. Only the perception of one for the other is a misperception.

People use this example to say there is nothing real. Snake is not real rope is not real nothing is real. That may not be correct.

Mind perceives a rope because it has seen a rope in the past. Mind perceives a snake because it has seen a snake in the past. Snake and rope are very real. In the primary perception-prathama pratyaksham- everything is similar and are perceived because they exist.

Just a digression.

Hell..Jahannam! It exists!LOL

Otherwise what is Garuda Purana all about?
Why the definition of Putra? Pum Narakat Trayate Iti Putrah!

Pum is a type of hell..then why Pitr Shraddham is always such a ritual for Brahmins?

Hell exists! So does heaven..please dont deprive men from their enjoyment in heaven be it with Apsaras in aerial cars or 72 virgins!

Hell..Jahannam! It exists!LOL

Otherwise what is Garuda Purana all about?
Why the definition of Putra? Pum Narakat Trayate Iti Putrah!

Pum is a type of hell..then why Pitr Shraddham is always such a ritual for Brahmins?

Hell exists! So does heaven..please dont deprive men from their enjoyment in heaven be it with Apsaras in aerial cars or 72 virgins!
hi
there are seven lokas above earth....seven lokas below earth....seven urdhva lokas...booh....bhuvah...suvaha...mahaha..janaha .satyam thapah...are called heaven.....athala ..vithala. sutalaha..taratala..paatala etc are called HELL....

GARUDA PURANAS COMPLETED BASED ON HEAVEN AND HELL...PUM NAAMA NARAKAT TRAYATE ITI PUTRAHA...SO ONLY PUTRAHAS

ARE ONLY ADHIKARI FOR SRADHAM FOR ANCESTORS...means only sons can do sraddhamm...not the daughters..

hi
there are seven lokas above earth....seven lokas below earth....seven urdhva lokas...booh....bhuvah...suvaha...mahaha..janaha .satyam thapah...are called heaven.....athala ..vithala. sutalaha..taratala..paatala etc are called HELL....

GARUDA PURANAS COMPLETED BASED ON HEAVEN AND HELL...PUM NAAMA NARAKAT TRAYATE ITI PUTRAHA...SO ONLY PUTRAHAS

ARE ONLY ADHIKARI FOR SRADHAM FOR ANCESTORS...means only sons can do sraddhamm...not the daughters..

Ok..lets get technical..Putri is just the feminine form.of Putra..so if Putra means one who saves you from hell..so what does Putri mean?

Same I guess.

Anyway people should get good lawyers to bail them out from hell..most lawyers are in hell anyhow! Lol

Personally I feel concept of hell is just to scare humans into behaving.

But what the Pope days defies logic..cos he saud bad souls simply vanish..thats not fair cos one can be a total haraami and all he gets is simply vanish?

Karma theory makes more sense..but again we have Lokas..so these lokas are heavenly or hellish depending on our karma?

God knows..

1. Ok..lets get technical..Putri is just the feminine form.of Putra..so if Putra means one who saves you from hell..so what does Putri mean?

Same I guess. ......

2. Personally I feel concept of hell is just to scare humans into behaving.
Very true Renu! :)

1. One non brahm community allows the daughter to perform last rites, if the deceased person does not

have a son. And, if there are two daughters, the younger one does for father and older one for mother.

2. This is similar to threatening children by saying 'sAmi kaNNaik kuththum!'. :fear:

I started believing in KarmA theory, only after seeing a few good persons suffer in old age, whereas a few

not-so-good-ones have 'anAyAsa maraNam'!

My lovely aunt, who had been so nice to the family and a kind doctor, adored by her patients for many decades,

suffered for seven and half years, bedridden and unable to have even a nice bath everyday! She reminded us of

Bhisma, who was on a bed of arrows, during his last days. She was on an air-bed and not an arrow-bed! Unless

she had committed some bad deeds in her previous janmA(s), how do we account for the suffering?

This is what I consider as 'Hell on Earth'! :sad:

A very greedy aunt of my eldest brother in law was not liked by many in his family; she had 'anAyAsa maraNam'!

She fainted after having a good lunch on a fine day and left this world! :rip:

Hell does exist. Life can be hell when we can't control our feelings and are ridiculed as a result.

I am a single person by choice.
Some years ago out of sheer boredom I thought of having a little fun by imagining myself in love with an average looking girl working in my office. After a few days I noticed that I cannot control myself each time I look at her. I tried to reason myself out of the situation, but it felt totally beyond my control. It was so so embarassing. The power of my imagination at times made me even the object of ridicule of my colleagues. I dreaded going to office because my work required me to have regular interaction with the girl. Then I got another, better job opportunity in a different city and gladly moved away. It was fine for a few weeks. Then I felt as if I was missing something. After a while, I started feeling the same way with another of my colleagues..... If what I felt then wasnt hell, I'd like to know what hell was. It took a long time, very long time to get rid of that feeling.

Last edited:
Hell does exist. Life can be hell when we can't control our feelings and are ridiculed as a result.

I am a single person by choice.
Some years ago out of sheer boredom I thought of having a little fun by imagining myself in love with an average looking girl working in my office. After a few days I noticed that I cannot control myself each time I look at her. I tried to reason myself out of the situation, but it felt totally beyond my control. It was so so embarassing. The power of my imagination at times made me even the object of ridicule of my colleagues. I dreaded going to office because my work required me to have regular interaction with the girl. Then I got another, better job opportunity in a different city and gladly moved away. It was fine for a few weeks. Then I felt as if I was missing something. After a while, I started feeling the same way with another of my colleagues..... If what I felt then wasnt hell, I'd like to know what hell was. It took a long time, very long time to get rid of that feeling.

You are seeking heaven..so get a girlfriend..only then its heaven...if you get married then hell begins!LOL

You are seeking heaven..so get a girlfriend..only then its heaven...if you get married then hell begins!LOL

Most of the girls are silly ppl inordinately fond of make-up or idle gossip, so how can getting a girlfriend be heaven? Trying to avoid girl friends has been my practice since college days !

Sorry, I mean, colleagues who ridiculed me always pointed out, why not get a beautiful girl friend, rather than this average-girl!

Whereas my reason clearly tells, all girl friends, beautiful or average, are big on maintenance and suck up lots of my time and money, and can be emotionally stressful, so be far away from them, as far away as possible. But sadly, my feelings or imagination did not want to listen to reason or logic :hurt:

Last edited:
Sorry, I mean, colleagues who ridiculed me always pointed out, why not get a beautiful girl friend, rather than this average-girl!

Whereas my reason clearly tells, all girl friends, beautiful or average, are big on maintenance and suck up lots of my time and money, and can be emotionally stressful, so be far away from them, as far away as possible. But sadly, my feelings or imagination did not want to listen to reason or logic :hurt:

There are multiple things wrongs in this posting.

You are treating Girls like your plaything. They are human beings that you are using as a plaything and then discarding on your whim. When you pretended to be in love and then escaped to another city, did you feel that you owed an apology and explanation to her?
Secondly, you degrade her as "plain looking". Is that nice?

What makes you the catch of the century that a beautiful girl wants to be your plaything.
You need better sets of friends than your present colleagues to teach you life lessons.

You misunderstand "love" for pure "lust".

Love is a two-way street, you got to "give" and then only "receive" it.
Lust is a one-way street, you take what you want, the other party gets raped.

My apologies in advance.
Did not mean it to be personal, but I think you are a young person who needs some guidance. At my age, I have enough experience to explain life lessons.

My friend, stating my opinion on having girl friends or not (anybody is entitled to his opinion in the matter) is not the same thing as actually treating girls like playthings, or discarding them later etc etc, as you imagine. Perhaps you haven't read my messages correctly.

Most of the girls are silly ppl inordinately fond of make-up or idle gossip, so how can getting a girlfriend be heaven? Trying to avoid girl friends has been my practice since college days !

But you fantasize about girls working with you..so how does that translate as avoiding girls..
You feel they are silly..wear make up etc but thats not what your hormones are saying! LOL

There are multiple things wrongs in this posting.

You are treating Girls like your plaything. They are human beings that you are using as a plaything and then discarding on your whim. When you pretended to be in love and then escaped to another city, did you feel that you owed an apology and explanation to her?
Secondly, you degrade her as "plain looking". Is that nice?

What makes you the catch of the century that a beautiful girl wants to be your plaything.
You need better sets of friends than your present colleagues to teach you life lessons.

You misunderstand "love" for pure "lust".

Love is a two-way street, you got to "give" and then only "receive" it.
Lust is a one-way street, you take what you want, the other party gets raped.

My apologies in advance.
Did not mean it to be personal, but I think you are a young person who needs some guidance. At my age, I have enough experience to explain life lessons.

Prasad ji....
If you read the post nothing actually happened..its purely fantasy!

But you fantasize about girls working with you..so how does that translate as avoiding girls..
You feel they are silly..wear make up etc but thats not what your hormones are saying! LOL

yes, that's why I'm such a fool, and got myself into hell as mentioned earlier. But it's well, just fantasy, so do you think the punishment was justified :scared:

Btw, my issue is not on wearing make up etc, but the outlook that exaggerates the importance of these things.

And I don't think it's to do with hormones, it's pure imagination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back