• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thayir Sadam

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

I got this in a WhatsApp so I do not know the authenticity of it.
[FONT=&quot]

The Curd Rice is the only Indian food which can able to release a Chemical called Tryptophan in Brain. Indians alone take Curd as Curd. But western world takes it as Yogurt, which got Sugar too, and sugar will not calm your Brain, but increase Glucose level and will put you more restless. Sugar is danger for the Balance of Neural activity. In triggers hyperactivity.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But Curd rice is the only food which can release Tryptophan in Brain, which calms down and brings a cool thinking, and your neurons are recharging with a mild rest because of Tryptophan. ( In Sanskrit there's word in this Chemical, as Thrupthophan, Thrupthi means Satisfaction).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Curd rice is the Scientific reason for the success of Tamil Brahmins, as it the Best brain food which activates the Brain in a balanced manner for a Tropical climate![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thayir sadam JaiHo :))))[/FONT]

Do you know why we say 'muttaaLukku mooNu vELai mOrunj chaadham?

By eating that thrice a day, he will become intelligent! ???

'Thachchi mammam' as fondly named, this is always yummy!

My preparation is one of the favorites during our family get together!

Slightly over cooked rice is the basic need.

Mash it lightly, cool it, mix with milk and half a cup of curd.

Add finely chopped green chillies, coriender leaves and dried grapes.

Season with mustard seeds, urid dhal and curry leaves, sputtered in oil.

Mix well and leave it to set for three hours!

Yummy item is ready! :thumb:

hi

tayir saasham is common word for BRAHMINS....very satvic food....even in USA....i heard many brahmin kids more youghurt rice...

easily digestable and yummy too....even in severe winter...means below 40 degree in USA...we take curd rice daily..

I have to have my share every day.

Is it only an Iyyar thing, my Iyyangar friend said that?

I have to have my share every day.

Is it only an Iyyar thing, my Iyyangar friend said that?
hi

for iyengar side....dadyonnam is mainly for thaligai and dahyaradhanam....sometimes sathamudhu/karamudhu is better than

dadyannam.......it is like THACHHI MAMMAM for kids...thayir saadham with maa vadu/maagaani kizhangu pickles nice

combination for palakkad brahmins....

'Thachchi mammam' as fondly named, this is always yummy!

My preparation is one of the favorites during our family get together!

Slightly over cooked rice is the basic need.

Mash it lightly, cool it, mix with milk and half a cup of curd.

Add finely chopped green chillies, coriender leaves and dried grapes.

Season with mustard seeds, urid dhal and curry leaves, sputtered in oil.

Mix well and leave it to set for three hours!

Yummy item is ready! :thumb:

Dear RR ji..

I alter the recipe slightly..that is I cook the rice with split moong dhall to add more protein.

Then I use Greek Yogurt for a creamier feel.
Then same as you do temper mustard seeds..ural dhal and at times I top it with pomegranate seeds and as usual garnish with.chopped coriander
leaves.

I usually make Thayir sadam on days I feel lazy to cook!

:thumb: Renu!!!

Pomegranate sticks in between teeth of some seniors!!

So, not added. :cool:

BTW, won't moong dhal make thachchi mummum look yellowish? ;)

:thumb: Renu!!!

Pomegranate sticks in between teeth of some seniors!!

So, not added. :cool:

BTW, won't moong dhal make thachchi mummum look yellowish? ;)

No..it doesnt look yellowish cos I use more rice than moong dhall..it just blends in not visible.
But i eat it right away cos it tends to dry up if left too long cos Greek Yogurt is very thick.

In mid seventies when Bambinoo Semiya was introduced, a cooking competition was announced in Madurai to promote the brand - Bambinoo semiya as the main ingredient. I was crowned சமையல் ராணி with a gift hamper. The winning recipe is just a different தயிர் சாதம் Bagalabath where semiya and not rice is the basic ingredient . The other item was semiya birds nest with hard boiled egg inside! My mummy used to make yummy Bagalabath and had picked it from her - The birds nest I learned in Cultural Academy Santhome while I was enrolled post matric!

1. All yoghurt does not have sugar in them. In UK yoghurt comes just as pure yoghurt with the natural taste of it without any trace of sugar. Go to any Sainsburry or Iceland outlet, you get it. I do not know about US as I did not have the opportunity to eat thayirsadham while I was there.

2. Thayir sAdham goes well with fried/roasted Mormilakaai vatral and plain and simple salty NarththangAi pickle. My experience.

3. A kavirayar once said after a sumptuous treat of thayir sadham:

பழையது ததி மிஸ்ரம்
பாதி தைலாபிஷேகம்
கருக்கின தில சூர்ணம்
வெடுக்கென வடுமாங்காய்
பாக்யவான் தோ பவந்து.

he must have got a real kick from what he ate.

Dear RR ji..

I alter the recipe slightly..that is I cook the rice with split moong dhall to add more protein.

Then I use Greek Yogurt for a creamier feel.
Then same as you do temper mustard seeds..ural dhal and at times I top it with pomegranate seeds and as usual garnish with.chopped coriander
leaves.

I usually make Thayir sadam on days I feel lazy to cook!
hi

yesterday i got greek youurt....in USA....desi dahi is very famous among indians...

In my son's sweet home, it is always home made curd -

toned milk is used for adults and whole organic milk is used for kids. :)

.... 2. Thayir sAdham goes well with fried/roasted Mormilakaai vatral and plain and simple salty NarththangAi pickle. My experience.
My yummy choices are:

1.vEppalAkkatti made by my eldest sister; 2. 'Thangam' mAhANik kizhangu. :)

Curd rice is the Scientific reason for the success of Tamil Brahmins, as it the Best brain food which activates the Brain in a balanced manner for a Tropical climate!(#1)

Different perception on dadiyonum!

Jambu's nephew with his family from New York was our guest and spent 2 days in Madurai. They indulged in everything like பருத்திப்பால்,ஜிகர்தண்டா children liked கடலை மிட்டாய், ஆரஞ்சு மிட்டாய் But strictly no தயிர் சாதம் - even if it's Algarkoil Dadiyonum I was curious The reason ?

He studied in TVS School Madurai He joined IIT after his +1 (allowed at that time) He was a bright student and was advised by his Maths teacher to avoid தயிர் சாதம் for lunch in school as it makes you sleepy in AN classes To quote his teacher "தத்யாேனம் makes you a தத்தி!" avoid it if you wish to crack JEE His son is appearing for the test to enter Bronx Science School and the same advise passed on to his son

I got a message in WhatsApp that the boy got his admission!

Admission to Bronx Science involves passing the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test. Each November, about 30,000 eighth and ninth graders take the 3-hour test for admittance to eight of the nine specialized high schools. Approximately 1,000 to 1,050 applicants are accepted each year.

Bronx Science is ranked among the top 50 high schools in the country as well as among the top few in New York State. Eight former students have received the Nobel Prize in science, more than any other secondary school in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronx_High_School_of_Science

The father P.hd in Chemical Technology - Columbia University This is his personal experience and not his thesis on brain chemistry for his Phd. I am sure!

Last edited:
Curd made from buffalo milk MAY make a person dull !!

My grandfather used to scold those who are weak in Math, as 'erumaith thayiru'!! ;)

All children in our family are bright and all of them love 'thachchi mammam'. :thumb:

Mavadu "connoiseur" in my family says:

Mavadu has to be carefully got ready right from the beginning of the process.

The raw maavadu has to be from the malai vadu variety.

மலை வடு is available only in the areas around Madurai that too in the season only. It has to be in the right size representing the right maturity. It can not be too small nor too big. It has to be the மலை வடு because it has a tingling taste which no other vadu from the plains anywhere has.

The vadu has to be carefully washed three times repeatedly to remove all foreign substances that may be sticking to the vadu. The vadus have to be sorted out next into two different lots -- small ones and bigger ones. These are to be separately seasoned.

The next step is to give the vadus a thin quote of oil. Castor oil is the best though gingelly oil can also be used. The thin film of oil quote on the surface of the vadu preserves it for long during and after seasoning.

The vadu has to season only in a porcelain "barani" and not in metal utensils. In Kerala they seal the porcelain container and bury it 3' below the surface of earth in the backyard/garden for seasoning which is not followed in Tamilnadu.

Good quality salt and chilli powder both well dried, are to be used as inputs.

The whole mixture has to be turned around inside the container once in three days untill the mavadu becomes a palatable pickle.

Once the pickle is ready it is to be offered to God first and then used by the family.

கட்டி தயிர் பட்டி மன்றம்

நடுவர் : முனை.ஆராேக்கியம்

துவக்க உரை: தலைப்பு சுவாரஸ்யமானது விவாதம் கட்டி தயிர் சுவையானது ? ஆராேக்கியமாது? கிட்டு மாமா கட்டித்யிர் சுவையானதே என வாதாட இதாே வருகிறார்

கிட்டு: வணக்கம் எங்க மதுரலே தயிர்காரர் சந்து ராெம்ப famous for
சட்டி சாதம்
கட்டி தயிரு
கடிக்க
(மாேரு)
மாெளகா , வடு!

நடுவர் ஆள வுடு நான இப்பவே அங்கே பாேகணும்

பைய பாேங்க படக்குனு பாேக வேணாம் தயிர் வேலவனுக்கும் மாலவனக்கும் உகந்தது இப்பாே தயிர் தீந்து பாேச்சு அபிஷேகத்துக்கம் ததியாே னத்துக்குமே சரியா பாேச்சு பங்குனி திருவிழா கால demand! ஹரிக்கும் ஹரனுக்கும் மட்டுமல்ல நரனுக்கும் தயிர் காேடை வெப்பம் தவிர்க அர்பணம் ஸமர்பணம்!

எனவே முடிவாக தயிர் எங்கள் உயிருக்க நாேர் - உடலுக்கு நீர் உரம் எனக்கூறி விடை பெறுகிறேன் நன்றி

கிட்டு பாெட்ணு ஆணித்தரமா சாெல்லிட்டாறு தயிர் உயிர்னு இதுக்கு பட்டு கச்சை கட்டி பதிலடி தர ரெடி காேட்பாேம் விளம்பர இடைவே ளைக்கு பிறகு

https://youtu.be/5opdiySOFFU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back