• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thinking Aloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

Thinking Aloud. . . . .
“Change (parivarthan) is the essence of Life (niyam)” declares Lord Krishna in the Bhagwat Geetha.
Very significant statement indeed. But are we aware of this. No Sir, not exactly. But Change is a continuous process that takes place whether we are aware of or not. The Lord says again in Geetha:-
”What belongs to you today, Belonged to someone yesterday. Will be someone else's Tomorrow”
How true are these Statements! Look at our own life. It has been changing slowly but surely without our noticing it. Let us examine our life in the past and present. Years back our parents, grand parents and their parents were living in a different environment.
They led a leisurely life. Their time and space were their own. They relied more on Nature. Agricultural activities formed the centre of all activity, especially in our Country, where nature has given everything in plenty. Fixed Seasons, a blessing of Nature to our continent, dictated every activity of our people. Religious and social Festivals and even marriages were conducted in tune with Agricultural operations, which again depended on Nature. Well,when I look at our life today, I wonder where we have lost all that . Look at our own City life. The Cities are cramped with everything, population, commodities, consumables etc. etc. But are we happy. No I don't think so. There is only Speed and Speed. Rush for every thing whether they are essentials or otherwise. If we do not compete with somebody or something, we will lose the race and peace of mind as well.
Our lives are basically molded by the environement where we live and how we live. Take for instance the accommodation. Cities are cramped with highrise buildings with hundred of flats fitted-in like jigsaw puzzle, Sometimes I feel beehives give more space to its occupants! The restricted space certainly affect our attitude towards life. Just compare this with the spacious buildings the previous generations built and lived. In my parental House we had plenty of space in front and back of the building to maintain gardens, where we used to run and play when we were children. That too we were just a middle class family. Compare this with today's position. Unless we are lucky to have independent houses nearby the work place, our life is regimented by outside forces. Cramped flats set in claustrophobia, which is not good for happy life. Our time is not our own, except on weekends and holidays. We have to attune ourselves to the timings fixed by somebody in the Office, Bus Service or Railways,or conditioned by traffic to reach our work place which will be far away. All these raise a question in my mind. Are we really free or living inside a Golden cage? Don't we miss a lot of our own in this mad pursuit of money making ? Please don't mistake me for a Sanyasin who forsakes every thing which we call as pleasures to seek the truth. I am pretty much a middleclass householder, well aware of the importance of money. Yes, money is very much required to get our life going smoothly. But my life taught me an important fact that money is only means to run our life and not the end itself. The end is real happiness.
Real Happiness is difficult to define. Happiness is the state of Mind. It is within and not to be found outside. We can increase our comfort or pleasure by Money, by adding things useful and useless, to satisfy our sensual needs. But Happiness is linked with contentment.
These are the thoughts of an octogenarian who had walked through the path of life for more than eight decades. I would like to hear from others before I share my thoughts further.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

Last edited:
Thinking Aloud. . . . .
“Change (parivarthan) is the essence of Life (niyam)” declares Lord Krishna in the Bhagwat Geetha.
Very significant statement indeed. But are we aware of this. No Sir, not exactly. But Change is a continuous process that takes place whether we are aware of or not. The Lord says again in Geetha:-
”What belongs to you today, Belonged to someone yesterday. Will be someone else's Tomorrow”
How true are these Statements! Look at our own life. It has been changing slowly but surely without our noticing it. Let us examine our life in the past and present. Years back our parents, grand parents and their parents were living in a different environment.
They led a leisurely life. Their time and space were their own. They relied more on Nature. Agricultural activities formed the centre of all activity, especially in our Country, where nature has given everything in plenty. Fixed Seasons, a blessing of Nature to our continent, dictated every activity of our people. Religious and social Festivals and even marriages were conducted in tune with Agricultural operations, which again depended on Nature. Well,when I look at our life today, I wonder where we have lost all that . Look at our own City life. The Cities are cramped with everything, population, commodities, consumables etc. etc. But are we happy. No I don't think so. There is only Speed and Speed. Rush for every thing whether they are essentials or otherwise. If we do not compete with somebody or something, we will lose the race and peace of mind as well.
Our lives are basically molded by the environement where we live and how we live. Take for instance the accommodation. Cities are cramped with highrise buildings with hundred of flats fitted-in like jigsaw puzzle, Sometimes I feel beehives give more space to its occupants! The restricted space certainly affect our attitude towards life. Just compare this with the spacious buildings the previous generations built and lived. In my parental House we had plenty of space in front and back of the building to maintain gardens, where we used to run and play when we were children. That too we were just a middle class family. Compare this with today's position. Unless we are lucky to have independent houses nearby the work place, our life is regimented by outside forces. Cramped flats set in claustrophobia, which is not good for happy life. Our time is not our own, except on weekends and holidays. We have to attune ourselves to the timings fixed by somebody in the Office, Bus Service or Railways,or conditioned by traffic to reach our work place which will be far away. All these raise a question in my mind. Are we really free or living inside a Golden cage? Don't we miss a lot of our own in this mad pursuit of money making ? Please don't mistake me for a Sanyasin who forsakes every thing which we call as pleasures to seek the truth. I am pretty much a middleclass householder, well aware of the importance of money. Yes, money is very much required to get our life going smoothly. But my life taught me an important fact that money is only means to run our life and not the end itself. The end is real happiness.
Real Happiness is difficult to define. Happiness is the state of Mind. It is within and not to be found outside. We can increase our comfort or pleasure by Money, by adding things useful and useless, to satisfy our sensual needs. But Happiness is linked with contentment.
These are the thoughts of an octogenarian who had walked through the path of life for more tan eight decades. I would like to hear from others before I share my thoughts further.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

Dear Sir..

I agree with what you wrote 100%...but actually in Geeta we can not find a stanza that says "What belongs to you today, Belonged to someone yesterday. Will be someone else's Tomorrow”

I know it is seen as summary of Geeta but these stanzas are not found in Geeta at all...but nevertheless these words do echo some truth.

I am not an Octogenarian yet but I do think like you at least in this context.

Happiness I feel is never really a state of mind either..
Its only momentary but cyclical..it will come in succession and so is unhappiness..its momentary and cyclical.

Hence Krishna says.." Sukha Dukhe Same Krtva"
Krishna never said Happiness or Sorrow is a permenant state..He asks us to face both with an equipoise attitude.

As humans our minds are wired to feel both ups and downs of life..at times we break down too and at times we get euphoric.

Also a 100% happiness is not possible for self becos we are bound to witness sorrow of others..so can we really be truly happy if just our life turns out well?

I agree with you about life these days..when I was a kid I still remeber by 4.15pm everyone went home from office..there were no extended working hours yet life went on.

These days people dont even get time to sleep but yet its work work work and everyone wants to spend lavishly too.

Partly its becos of keeping up with the Kardashians syndrome..people compare and contrast life styles and no one wants to feel small..but I personally feel we should define what we feel comfortable with even if it might seem not in vogue.

To me I feel a steady state of Happiness or Sorrow does not exists hence I dont go searching for both.

Thinking Aloud. . . . .
These are the thoughts of an octogenarian who had walked through the path of life for more than eight decades. I would like to hear from others before I share my thoughts further.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore
hi

i like last CHARAMA SLOKA OF GITA.....SARVA DHARMAN PARITYGYA MAAM EKAM SARANAM VRJAA.. very clearly and cleverly

sri krishna said.....the whole karma/jnana/bhakti kanadas explained well ..but finally total SURRENDER is essence of whole life..

hi

i like last CHARAMA SLOKA OF GITA.....SARVA DHARMAN PARITYGYA MAAM EKAM SARANAM VRJAA.. very clearly and cleverly

sri krishna said.....the whole karma/jnana/bhakti kanadas explained well ..but finally total SURRENDER is essence of whole life..

I have a habit of reading any book from the last chapter to 1st chapter before I start from 1st chapter again.

I did notice this in Geeta too..so I was LOL..after nicely going tru nerve wrecking details..its finally all about surrender and Ma Suchah!

Dear Sir..

I agree with what you wrote 100%...but actually in Geeta we can not find a stanza that says "What belongs to you today, Belonged to someone yesterday. Will be someone else's Tomorrow”

I know it is seen as summary of Geeta but these stanzas are not found in Geeta at all...but nevertheless these words do echo some truth.

I am not an Octogenarian yet but I do think like you at least in this context.

Happiness I feel is never really a state of mind either..
Its only momentary but cyclical..it will come in succession and so is unhappiness..its momentary and cyclical.

Hence Krishna says.." Sukha Dukhe Same Krtva"
Krishna never said Happiness or Sorrow is a permenant state..He asks us to face both with an equipoise attitude.

As humans our minds are wired to feel both ups and downs of life..at times we break down too and at times we get euphoric.

Also a 100% happiness is not possible for self becos we are bound to witness sorrow of others..so can we really be truly happy if just our life turns out well?

I agree with you about life these days..when I was a kid I still remeber by 4.15pm everyone went home from office..there were no extended working hours yet life went on.

These days people dont even get time to sleep but yet its work work work and everyone wants to spend lavishly too.

Partly its becos of keeping up with the Kardashians syndrome..people compare and contrast life styles and no one wants to feel small..but I personally feel we should define what we feel comfortable with even if it might seem not in vogue.

To me I feel a steady state of Happiness or Sorrow does not exists hence I dont go searching for both.

Doctor,
Wonderful post with matured thoughts. I agree we may not find a verse about "parivarthan" in Gita. However, in chapter 2 on "Sankya Yoga" Lord clears Arjuna's delusion by many philosophical examples. In total Lord explains the transient nature of life.
Yes, happiness and sorrow are state of mind, it may not be permanent and change within a second.
It is my experience, that our life is conditioned mostly by external forces till we are "allowed" to think independently.

Now let me allow others to share their thoughts before pursuing further.
Best wishes,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

The Gita is full of metaphors. I see Arjuna as the God-man, incarnation of the Sun, who is in communion with Brahman who is labeled as Krishna. The five horses of their chariot represent the 5 senses.

Brahmanyan Sir,

Most people cannot sit quiet without doing anything. They always need to focus their energies on something, else they will self destruct. Hence the system has evolved itself, so that expending a major part of life on making money has come to be considered a worthy aim. Hence we were attuned to this setup from childhood, and there's no harm in that. Only by making enough money, will we be able to truly understand it's big limitations too.

Brahmanyan Sir,

Most people cannot sit quiet without doing anything. They always need to focus their energies on something, else they will self destruct. Hence the system has evolved itself, so that expending a major part of life on making money has come to be considered a worthy aim. Hence we were attuned to this setup from childhood, and there's no harm in that. Only by making enough money, will we be able to truly understand it's big limitations too.

You are absolutely right, and society is designed in a way to make us more 'productive'. But the true Brahmin or Shamanic disposition should not be focused on generating money. Poets and Artists don't create for money or fame. It is not right to monetize on something one's Deity has bestowed upon you. To 'try' to achieve that benchmark, in this age, is a very noble goal.

You are absolutely right, and society is designed in a way to make us more 'productive'. But the true Brahmin or Shamanic disposition should not be focused on generating money. Poets and Artists don't create for money or fame. It is not right to monetize on something one's Deity has bestowed upon you. To 'try' to achieve that benchmark, in this age, is a very noble goal.

But the ability to make more money, to be commercial minded can also be a gift from God! From such gifted persons arose the commecial sciences, economics etc. In fact, that's the characteristic of the Vaishya caste, traditionally speaking. Everyone cannot be artists or poets. The key, I suppose, is to identify your god given strengths, and seek excellence in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back