• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Health and wealth are prime concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dhikshita

Leprosy is a chronic infection disease which affects the skin, eyes, etc etc

Is the Government is interested in controlling the spread of leprosy..??

Once there was a vigorous programme of implementation of leprosy control in Tamil Nadu but now I felt no such vigor in action to eradicate the leprosy patients either in Tamil Nadu or else where.

What I want to present or emphasise here is that leprosy also another category of cruel incurable disease to be dealt with iron hand by the Government or WHO on par with a person under a coma. The leprosy afflicted person is considered to be an untouchable in the social environment. as the society may be think and afraid of its spread to others if one come across with such patient for a prolonged period either kith or kin. Whoever they may be, the first thing is social stigma and family people feel it awkward to him with them in their house.They first decide to send him out to any leprosy home nearby or else drive out of the house with heavy heart of course. These leprosy patients roam on the roads with ugly look wearing torned shirt and vesti with bandage in both of their hands or legs. They do have disfigure in faces and all over the body. Very bad odour emanates from their body when they come nearer which is attracted by insects and fly's.

When coming to their earlier status in the society, they may be very rich people with respectability in society and by all. Once the cruel disease afflicted them, they lose their image, status and standing and may be treated less than a street beggar.

Even if the disease is curable, the society may not take him back to their house. There is no other way for them to eke out their livelihood in front of the temples, church, mosque. They are even not treated on par with other begging persons.

Though there is a particular day has been fixed by the Government for them to beg out in streets. It is a curse one has to abide by the conditions of the Act of God.

What I would like to emphasise here that cannot the SC or WHO to come forward to redress their grievances ?! or they may be examined on par with coma patient and an ordinance may be promulgated for their mercy killing with the permission of their relatives. either by the Government or approved agencies i.e., hospitals.

I am not hard enough to write this like but I am reluctant to feel their sufferings, and pity for them in the society. Is there any better method/ way to protect them and nurture them on humanitarian grounds.

I invite comments..

Dhikshita Ji,

Before engaging with argument on the initiatives/welfare measures taken by the Government of India at the centre and the Government of Tamil Nadu, I would request you to go through the following article which deals with the National Leprosy Eradication Programme (NLEP):

Introduction:

Since the inception of National Leprosy Eradication Programme (NLEP) in the year 1983 spectacular success have been made in reducing the burden of Leprosy. The country achieved the goal of leprosy elimination as a public health problem. i.e. prevalence rate (PR) of less than 1 case / 10,000 population at National level by December 2005, as set by National Health Policy 2002. Although prevalence has come down at national and state level, new cases are being continuously detected and these cases will have to be provided quality leprosy services through GHC system.

XII th Plan Objectives:

a. Elimination of leprosy i.e. prevalence of less than 1 case per 10,000 population in all districts of the country.
b. Strengthen Disability Prevention & Medical Rehabilitation of persons affected by leprosy.
c. Reduction in the level of stigma associated with leprosy.

Background:

· The National Leprosy Control Programme was launched by the Govt. of India in 1955. Multi Drug Therapy came into wide use from 1982 and the National Leprosy Eradication Programme was introduced in 1983. Since then, remarkable progress has been achieved in reducing the disease burden. India achieved the goal set by the National Health Policy, 2002 of elimination of leprosy as a public health problem, defined as less than 1 case per 10,000 population, at the National level in December 2005.
· Following are the programme components :

o Case Detection and Management
o Disability Prevention and Medical Rehabilitation
o Information, Education and Communication (IEC) including Behaviour Change Communication (BCC)
o Human Resource and Capacity building
o Programme Management

Activities under NLEP:

· Diagnosis and treatment of leprosy- Services for diagnosis and treatment (Multi drug therapy) are provided by all primary health centres and govt. dispensaries throughout the country free of cost. Difficult to diagnose and complicated cases and cases requiring reconstructive surgery are referred to district hospital for further management.

· Training- Training of general health staff like medical officer, health workers, health supervisors, laboratory technicians and ASHAs are conducted every year to develop adequate skill in diagnosis and management of leprosy cases.

· Urban leprosy control- To address the complex problems in urban areas, the Urban Leprosy control activities are being implemented in urban areas having population size of more than 1 lakh. These activities include MDT delivery services & follow up of patient for treatment completion, providing supportive medicines & dressing material and monitoring & supervision.

· IEC- Intensive IEC activities are conducted for awareness generation and particularly reduction of stigma and discrimination against leprosy affected persons. These activities are carried through mass media, outdoor media, rural media and advocacy meetings. More focus is given on inter personnel communication.

To read more click here

[h=1]With more vigorous activities, prevalence of the disease has come down and this is fact supported by statistics.[/h][h=1]Both the Government at the certre and at State are doing their best to eradicate this disease through various programmes. It is under control.[/h][h=1]Leprosy prevalence down[/h]
TH12Diseasecol

To read more click here

Leprosy is a chronic infection disease which affects the skin, eyes, etc etc

Is the Government is interested in controlling the spread of leprosy..??

Once there was a vigorous programme of implementation of leprosy control in Tamil Nadu but now I felt no such vigor in action to eradicate the leprosy patients either in Tamil Nadu or else where.

What I want to present or emphasise here is that leprosy also another category of cruel incurable disease to be dealt with iron hand by the Government or WHO on par with a person under a coma. The leprosy afflicted person is considered to be an untouchable in the social environment. as the society may be think and afraid of its spread to others if one come across with such patient for a prolonged period either kith or kin. Whoever they may be, the first thing is social stigma and family people feel it awkward to him with them in their house.They first decide to send him out to any leprosy home nearby or else drive out of the house with heavy heart of course. These leprosy patients roam on the roads with ugly look wearing torned shirt and vesti with bandage in both of their hands or legs. They do have disfigure in faces and all over the body. Very bad odour emanates from their body when they come nearer which is attracted by insects and fly's.

When coming to their earlier status in the society, they may be very rich people with respectability in society and by all. Once the cruel disease afflicted them, they lose their image, status and standing and may be treated less than a street beggar.

Even if the disease is curable, the society may not take him back to their house. There is no other way for them to eke out their livelihood in front of the temples, church, mosque. They are even not treated on par with other begging persons.

Though there is a particular day has been fixed by the Government for them to beg out in streets. It is a curse one has to abide by the conditions of the Act of God.

What I would like to emphasise here that cannot the SC or WHO to come forward to redress their grievances ?! or they may be examined on par with coma patient and an ordinance may be promulgated for their mercy killing with the permission of their relatives. either by the Government or approved agencies i.e., hospitals.

I am not hard enough to write this like but I am reluctant to feel their sufferings, and pity for them in the society. Is there any better method/ way to protect them and nurture them on humanitarian grounds.

I invite comments..
hi

just info....in my home ...my chithappa and athai payyan worked in leprosy eradication pgme by TN govt for moe than 35 yrs...

both retired now...my chithappa worked in GMLF.....means GANDHI MEMORIAL LEPROSY FOUNDATION....even medicine

controlled a lot..

Sir,
I agree with you by 3/4 that it is a controllable disease. Virtually leprosy patients are non- co-operative category. Only elite circle people would come forward for regular treatment and carry out DOCTORS advice carefully in order to escape from the clutches of untouchability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back