• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Category leaders of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
To avoid derailing the Euthanasia discussions venturing to open this thread.
It is controversial but hopefully supported as OK in the General Discussions.

True, there is hardly any original discussion anymore. I hope that changes,

Here is my partial list (I am sure I have left out some)

1. Original thinkers who wrote well : Mr Sangom (against main stream) , Mr Iyer (some episodes were hilarious), Mr tks (thought provoking), The member who used to write long anecdotes from personal life (unable to recall his name here) , ...Madam VR (own unique style), in some rare instances Mr Vaagmi (Eloquent but .......),

2. Experts/useful - Mr Gopalan (rituals, religion), Madam RR (music, literature), Mr vagne (technology), Mr Ganesh (Astrology) , Madam Renuka (Medicine and sex related topics)

3. Original thinking but unclear of usefulness: Mr TBT , Mr Sravana

4. Useful and newsworthy posts: Mr VB

5. Useful cut and paste posts : Mr Prasad, Mr VB

4. Good come back : Mr VB, Madam Renuka, ..Mr auh

5. Attack the person first before any response, derail threads purposefully , form cliques (Jalra?) : Everyone knows

6. Generally bitter : It is easy to figure that out also

7: No original contribution : a-TB , and there are many others including some from the the above set of names as well

This is all written in jest ..
It is food for thought ..

Welcome comments and critiques ..

a-TB Ji,

You are really very humble and unassuming.

In fact I am an admirer of your postings which are more, thought provoking, kindling, pertinent to the point, etc etc

And it is your own assessment, ratings, gradation, evaluation, etc on other members

Now my question is does this Forum insist for writings of original thinkers….

Do they expect Socrates, Pluto, Russel, etc to contribute on topics like philosophy, social ethics, religion, spirituality, etc

It is a mixed fruit bag, with members contributing their best in the areas where they are well versed.

What will this Forum look like if there is umpteen number of original thinkers coming and pouring their thoughts and enter into conflict and does that do any good for the Forum….?

In my opinion, variety is spice of life…. Well we e all need variety in food, movie, books, music, etc etc

A healthy Forum needs all types of materials, articles, writings, etc touching all varieties and hence the Forum has prescribed various categories like Religion, Chit Chat, News and Updates, General Discussion, Politics and Current Affair, etc

Anyway thank you so much for your thread that will throw more light on the members

This is my two cents

P.S: Of course, I agree the standard and quality of discussion, argument, on important topics has gone down. More readers are silent and the original thinkers were either retired are made to retire.

Dear TB Sir,

Thanks for your OP. I am honoured! :)

Does forum decorum exist anymore? :noidea:

Abuses are 'safe' in posts; but one way it is good; it shows the 'personality' of the poster!! :D

Thank again.

Dear TB Sir,

Abuses are 'safe' in posts; but one way it is good; it shows the 'personality' of the poster!! :D

Thank again.

You said it Ma'am,
That is the feeling I too get after reading some of the posts. I have joined the Tamil Brahmins forum on 12.12.2006 and participated enthusiastically in many threads. There were good number of scholarly people participated in the discussions. But as the time went on many of them exited on their own due to the reasons better known to them. Now I find very few of those names continue in the forum.
The trend seems to be more of "cut and paste" jobs. But that is the trend, we have to accept.
Warm regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear TB Sir,

Thank again.

This Forum has peculiar characters

They will throw stone first and start playing their Modus Operandi... victim game

Will try to gain sympathy

And give a long lecture about decorum, etiquette, manners etc. LOL

Returning to the subject raised in the OP, it is true the Forum has very few members taking part in serious subjects affecting the Tamil Brahmin Community today. For instance, It is a fact most of the educated children of the community have opted to migrate to US, Canada, Australia and other Countries in search of lucrative jobs, their life style, including selection of life partner, food habits etc have also changed due to circumstances prevailing there. But not many come forward to discus the issue, when the related subjects are discussed. It is my experience that when serious subjects (non political) are introduced, hardly a few members join the discussion ! In recent times among the issues introduced by me only two subjects attracted for discussion. One is "Home Schooling" the other is " Control of anger among Children". I felt happy that many members participated in the thread and contributed their valued opinion.
I wish the forum should encourage more subjects affecting Tamil Brahmins in the changed social circumstances today.
One subject our younger generation face today is "managing aged parents " left in India or abroad . There is also a lurking fear as how to face their own old age ,devoid of love and affection of their children !

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear TB Sir,

Thank again.

It is indeed great to have personalities who judge others by thro through their postings.

It is very simple...... the saying goes that one should not get confused with personality and attitude.

"My personality is who I am,
My attitude depends on who you are"..

The person, who comes here claiming innocent, should think twice before throwing a stone on others first.... and be prepared to face the repercussions.

There is no meaning in coming here to play victim game and to gain sympathy.LOL

Dear TB Sir,

Thank again.

RR Madam - You are welcome!

Forum decorum will be achieved when most have quit .. hope that does not happen

Returning to the subject raised in the OP, it is true the Forum has very few members taking part in serious subjects affecting the Tamil Brahmin Community today. For instance, It is a fact most of the educated children of the community have opted to migrate to US, Canada, Australia and other Countries in search of lucrative jobs, their life style, including selection of life partner, food habits etc have also changed due to circumstances prevailing there. But not many come forward to discus the issue, when the related subjects are discussed. It is my experience that when serious subjects (non political) are introduced, hardly a few members join the discussion ! In recent times among the issues introduced by me only two subjects attracted for discussion. One is "Home Schooling" the other is " Control of anger among Children". I felt happy that many members participated in the thread and contributed their valued opinion.
I wish the forum should encourage more subjects affecting Tamil Brahmins in the changed social circumstances today.
One subject our younger generation face today is "managing aged parents " left in India or abroad . There is also a lurking fear as how to face their own old age ,devoid of love and affection of their children !

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear Brahmanyan Sir,

With your life experience you may have seen a lot in life. TB community spread across the world has an identity crisis. The forum has become weaker because as Mr Prasad said in another thread some stopped communicating (no one tried to bring them back) and some were pushed out.

Also today we have so many media bits crying for our attention.

I used to get some news and nice discussions here. Now I belong to several whatsapp groups that is time consuming. Forums like this have to stay competitive to be relevant for us.

Instead of expansion we have no one wanting to contribute to many exiting sections.

The forum is experiencing what the TB communities are experiencing world wide - an identity crisis.

I do not believe that Tamil Brahmin is a homogeneous group (then again no other group is).
Each one has a different situation and different needs.
Some do not identify themselves with Tamil group or Brahmin group.
So requirements of one situated in Coimbatore, TN may not be understood by one in Singapore.
We have to accept that, and take what suits our needs.

I do participate even if I am not directly impacted.
My opinions are relevant as they are usually well researched.
Similarly, others too contribute, but instead of accepting or ignoring their POV, people marginalize them or downright insult the poster.

Knowledge should be shared if it is not important to some they should ignore it and go on to next topic.

Nobody is forcing anyone else to read the comments that others write.
There is an IGNORE feature on the site.

I feel we have an obligation to self-moderate the postings, and if that does not work, we have to report the post.

Constant attacks on a poster by one or more members, reduce the number of people posting.

Differences are expected, but as long as they are civil, they are welcome.
No need to insult or demean anyone else.

For that matter, I do not like the pigeonholing people, even in this thread. We all have different facets to our personality.

For instance:

Madam Renuka (Medicine and sex related topics)

She is much more than that:
Anything related to Malaysia, new trends among young people, the experiences of Mixed culture marriages, Ancient scriptures, Sanskrit, Arabic, and on and on.

The metaphor of dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants expresses the meaning of "discovering truth by building on previous discoveries". This concept has been traced to the 12th century, attributed to Bernard of Chartres. Its most familiar expression in English is by Isaac Newton in 1675: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_on_the_shoulders_of_giants

Last edited:
Dear Brahmanyan Sir,

The forum has become weaker because as Mr Prasad said in another thread some stopped communicating (no one tried to bring them back) and some were pushed out.

With due respects, I would like to disagree that no one tried to bring back them back stuff.

When some prolific writer stopped contributing, they were sent emails requesting them to return and there were even threads like:
"Sangom welcome back"; "Kunjuppu where are you", "Where is Nara" etc. etc.

But as usually happens when one is called back and their aura spread, some of their posts became more strident and there were veiled comments and innuendos both in the returning members' posts as also hard/harsh language in the tone of the members who had to put up with their stridency.

The problem was the bitterness did not remain restricted to just one thread where there was disagreement, but it spilled over in each and every thread fouling the whole forum. It also became clear that prolific posters were/are also on the lookout for "echo chambers" for their thoughts and the posts got skewed more and more.

What the prolific writers should understand and realize is their posts carry weight only when their posts are read and are not summarily ignored as they ask if there are disagreeable points of view. You can find that many threads go to the archives with just the opening post because the other members do not want to either engage with the OP or the topic just does not interest them.

All said and done this forum sustains because of people who stay in the forum, not because of people who choose to move away.

The forum has become weaker because as Mr Prasad said in another thread some stopped communicating (no one tried to bring them back) and some were pushed out.

My 2 cents on this.

Few ppl thought they were bigger than the forum and started demanding/expecting a lot of things which caused them to behave in a certain way with others, so they had to be pushed out to ensure the majority do not go.

Few members left on their own accord because of changes in their personal life scenarios.

There are things that happen behind the scenes and not all information is public knowledge.

From the admin side, we made effort to bring back a lot of members. We even asked them to focus on only a few sections and not get into other areas so as to prevent the usual "chatter" with a clear warning that if ppl do not accept their views then we cannot do anything. They stayed put for few days and then they started participating against our requests and you know the rest.

We cannot hold anyone to stay here. Members come and members go, that's nature of any forum.

With due respects, I would like to disagree that no one tried to bring back them back stuff.

When some prolific writer stopped contributing, they were sent emails requesting them to return and there were even threads like:
"Sangom welcome back"; "Kunjuppu where are you", "Where is Nara" etc. etc.

But as usually happens when one is called back and their aura spread, some of their posts became more strident and there were veiled comments and innuendos both in the returning members' posts as also hard/harsh language in the tone of the members who had to put up with their stridency.

The problem was the bitterness did not remain restricted to just one thread where there was disagreement, but it spilled over in each and every thread fouling the whole forum. It also became clear that prolific posters were/are also on the lookout for "echo chambers" for their thoughts and the posts got skewed more and more.

What the prolific writers should understand and realize is their posts carry weight only when their posts are read and are not summarily ignored as they ask if there are disagreeable points of view. You can find that many threads go to the archives with just the opening post because the other members do not want to either engage with the OP or the topic just does not interest them.

All said and done this forum sustains because of people who stay in the forum, not because of people who choose to move away.

Wonderful analysis.

My 2 cents on this.

Few ppl thought they were bigger than the forum and started demanding/expecting a lot of things which caused them to behave in a certain way with others, so they had to be pushed out to ensure the majority do not go.

Few members left on their own accord because of changes in their personal life scenarios.

There are things that happen behind the scenes and not all information is public knowledge.

From the admin side, we made effort to bring back a lot of members. We even asked them to focus on only a few sections and not get into other areas so as to prevent the usual "chatter" with a clear warning that if ppl do not accept their views then we cannot do anything. They stayed put for few days and then they started participating against our requests and you know the rest.

We cannot hold anyone to stay here. Members come and members go, that's nature of any forum.
hi sir,

nice words....very highly mature thought....thanks a lot...

My 2 cents on this.

Dear Mr Praveen:

Thanks for taking your time to share your views and actions.

Here is my take.

All forums are about interaction of 'egos'. Recently in an extended family forum I belong to (a whatsapp group) couple of egos started fighting on trivial things leading to very bitter situation in no time. Some wanted to quit immediately.

All (egos) want to change others, and make comments about others (one can see that in this thread itself). But the ONLY person that one can change is oneself ONLY!

In that spirit, after one of the sticky thread in General Section I tried to write here better. Try to be bit more careful how I engage.

My comments were never even remotely about your moderating role which I know is hard. If most members here are not making this a great place to have good discussions we cannot attract good posts and posters.

Thank you.

Dear Mr Praveen:

Thanks for taking your time to share your views and actions.

Here is my take.

All forums are about interaction of 'egos'. Recently in an extended family forum I belong to (a whatsapp group) couple of egos started fighting on trivial things leading to very bitter situation in no time. Some wanted to quit immediately.

All (egos) want to change others, and make comments about others (one can see that in this thread itself). But the ONLY person that one can change is oneself ONLY!

In that spirit, after one of the sticky thread in General Section I tried to write here better. Try to be bit more careful how I engage.

My comments were never even remotely about your moderating role which I know is hard. If most members here are not making this a great place to have good discussions we cannot attract good posts and posters.

Thank you.

Well said.

Dear Brahmanyan Sir,

With your life experience you may have seen a lot in life. TB community spread across the world has an identity crisis. The forum has become weaker because as Mr Prasad said in another thread some stopped communicating (no one tried to bring them back) and some were pushed out.

Also today we have so many media bits crying for our attention.

I used to get some news and nice discussions here. Now I belong to several whatsapp groups that is time consuming. Forums like this have to stay competitive to be relevant for us.

Instead of expansion we have no one wanting to contribute to many exiting sections.

The forum is experiencing what the TB communities are experiencing world wide - an identity crisis.

Dear friend,

Basically Brahmins are individuals first. Very difficult to group them.
Today the community has spread far and wide in all the continents. Many countries have recognised their worth and allowed them to grow without placing impediments. Brahmins, especially the Tamil Brahmins are migrants for generations. They accepted the humiliations silently without protest.
Generation after generation they studied and worked hard under adverse situations to progress in all fields and survived.
Let me salute the younger generation of the community who had taken higher emotional risks by leaving their beloved ones in their native places and showed their excellence in what ever field they have selected where ever they went.Under these circumstances it is natural that we have to face identity crisis. I am sure this is only a passing phase, that we will cross as the time goes by.
As the the Sage of Shirdi repeatedly said " patience and perseverance" (Saburi and Shraddha) are most cardinal qualities to tide over all impediments.
This forum of "Tamil Brahmins" is the best that I have seen which serve as a platform to the community to express their views without reservation of any kind.
Warm regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
I am surprised, Sir!

Do you think that members can't disagree in a civilized way? ;)

RR Madam :

What I say applies to most forums unless forum is 'moderated' by experts in subject matter and human relations.

Sure, Members can disagree in a civilized way but 'egos' can not.

Egos create cliques which is fun provided there is a common 'enemy ego'. It becomes boring after the enemy ego is gone until another one emerges.

Conflicting views can lead to fun debates but it all starts out with mutual respect.

But ego interactions becomes attacks - some are overt, some are covert/subtle. Overt could get noticed and even punished.

Some force themselves to maintain a decorum. Here, I have to applaud Mr TBT for being focused on his original ideas and not respond too much in a personal way.

Not sure if our forum is capable of achieving healthy disagreements in a civilized way. Either it is boring stuff of routine agreements or conflicts leading to personal attacks.

I hope I am proved wrong LOL

Dear friend,

Basically Brahmins are individuals first. Very difficult to group them.
Today the community has spread far and wide in all the continents. Many countries have recognised their worth and allowed them to grow without placing impediments. Brahmins, especially the Tamil Brahmins are migrants for generations. They accepted the humiliations silently without protest.
Generation after generation they studied and worked hard under adverse situations to progress in all fields and survived.
Let me salute the younger generation of the community who had taken higher emotional risks by leaving their beloved ones in their native places and showed their excellence in what ever field they have selected where ever they went.Under these circumstances it is natural that we have to face identity crisis. I am sure this is only a passing phase, that we will cross as the time goes by.
As the the Sage of Shirdi repeatedly said " patience and perseverance" (Saburi and Shraddha) are most cardinal qualities to tide over all impediments.
This forum of "Tamil Brahmins" is the best that I have seen which serve as a platform to the community to express their views without reservation of any kind.
Warm regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Respected Sir,

TB population in US and other western countries have lost the TB culture. In the last several years we have only attended inter-caste, inter-race and inter-religious marriages (with one side being a TB). The second and third generation do not speak the language even though some may understand.

I may be the youngest here (not that young) compared to most retired people in this forum. Most youngsters do not visit this forum and do not like to stick around.

The forum is a repository of non-reviewed information. Mostly the ones that come here are 'flybys' - they come , ask a question and leave.

This is my assessment - not a criticism. The TB forum does not stand for anything (I am only talking about the collective members , not the owner).

There are forums that have become multi-million dollar enterprises. So possibility is there to be helpful and successful. One of my corporate roles is organizational improvements, processes etc. With that eye, I say we are not in the right path. Not sure it is fixable at this stage..

Again, I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Best Regards

Respected Sir,

TB population in US and other western countries have lost the TB culture. In the last several years we have only attended inter-caste, inter-race and inter-religious marriages (with one side being a TB). The second and third generation do not speak the language even though some may understand.

I may be the youngest here (not that young) compared to most retired people in this forum. Most youngsters do not visit this forum and do not like to stick around.

The forum is a repository of non-reviewed information. Mostly the ones that come here are 'flybys' - they come , ask a question and leave.

This is my assessment - not a criticism. The TB forum does not stand for anything (I am only talking about the collective members , not the owner).

There are forums that have become multi-million dollar enterprises. So possibility is there to be helpful and successful. One of my corporate roles is organizational improvements, processes etc. With that eye, I say we are not in the right path. Not sure it is fixable at this stage..

Again, I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Best Regards
hi sir,

this is not corporate based forum....this purely culture/religious/faith based programme....i can tell some example....i heard recently

beautiful kaalashepams of sri velukudi krishnan swamy/sri dhusyant sridhar/smt vishaka ravi etc...even sri dhusyant is BITS PILANI

PRODUCT/IT GUY i think....but many/all listeners are old retired ppls....so every forum is UNIQUE in nature...may not for everyone's taste..

my 2 cents..

Last edited:
I like to uphold "My TB Culture" as opposed to somebody else's "Tb Culture".
Then again what is TB Culture? Is that written in stone, and if so it is dated, and may be outdated.
In my recent trip to Chennai, I was appalled at the culture practiced by TB's there.
Alcohol and NV dished were served in a party.
There is no purity in any culture, things change.
Maybe I still have the culture of my parents who left Tamil Nadu(Madras) centuries ago.
The younger generations of TB's were making fun of my Brahmin Tamil, and puritan values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back