• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Inbreeding among Tamil Brahmins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

I was in a gathering of Tamil Brahmins.
One of the ladies brought up this topic of the prevalence of genetic disease among the Tamil Brahmin population.

I was aghast, and could not understand, having never heard of it.
She showed me a study that was done in 2010.

I am going to C & P (as opposed to my original thought) that study.

A statewide survey of four endogamous Brahman populations of Tamil Nadu reveals a low level of inbreeding in three of them. In the fourth population, the Thengalai, the level is higher, but not as high as in other social castes. The Tamil Brahmans rank next to the Telugu and the Kanarese Brahmans in this respect. Uncle-niece marriages also occur as in Telugu-speaking populations, and these exceed in the two Ayyangar populations in comparison to the Ayyar. A decline of first-cousin marriages and an increase of uncle-niece marriages are detected in the first two living generations in each population.

https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/152794

Seems to be a 1976 paper but published online in 2008!!

The study (whenever it was done) seems to suggest that there is inbreeding in Tamil Brahmin groups.
I know of cousins marrying and Mama's marrying their nieces can lead to inbreeding. But the ban on sa-gothra marriage should limit inbreeding.

I did not find any other studies to support or refute this study.

I cannot access the study. Not sure if the study passes the smell test of being trustworthy. Also who conducted the study? Sometimes there is false propaganda to express hatred. What genetic disease are they talking about.

In our extended families there is no marriage of cousins or uncles etc.

?image=000152794-1.jpg

A RADHA RAMA DEVI, N APPAJI RAO, AND A H BITTLES* From the Indian Council for Medical Research Centre for Biomedical Research, and the Department of Biochemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560012, India; and *the Department of Anatomy and Human Biology, King's College, London WC2R 2LS.

SUMMARY

Consanguineous marriages are strongly favoured among the populations of South India. In a study conducted on 407 infants and children, a total of 35 genetic diseases was diagnosed in 63 persons: 44 with single gene defects, 12 with polygenic disorders, and seven with Down's syndrome. The coefficient of inbreeding of the total study group, F=0-0414, was significantly higher than that previously calculated for the general population, F=0-0271, and autosomal recessive disorders formed the largest single disease category diagnosed. The results suggest that long term inbreeding may not have resulted in appreciable elimination of recessive lethals and sub-lethals from the gene pool.

http://jmg.bmj.com/content/jmedgenet/24/6/362.full.pdf

https://www.deepdyve.com/lp/wiley/i...ction-in-tamil-nadu-of-south-india-RTe0jJvgBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back