Tamil Brahmins
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Alternatively, consider donating to keep the site up. Donations are accepted via PayPal & via NEFT. Details on how to donate can be found at here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    3
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    vitamin D sources in traditional Iyer (or south Indian cuisine)


    0 Not allowed!
    Let me introduce myself. I am from an Iyer family who grew up in Mumbai and currently working as an engineer.

    Recently, I was a little taken by surprise when my doctor said I am low on vitamin D and need to supplement it well in my diet.

    I understand foods like milk, soy, tofu, mushrooms are great sources of vitamin D. (I am vegetarian)

    I am a little curious - how did our ancestors get adequate amounts of this vitamin? - considering that except milk, none of the above are foods traditionally eaten by Brahmins or many vegetarians in south India (though they are all vegetarian foods)

    what are the top foods/dishes that they incorporated in their diet that accounted for this?
  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,084
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aiyer100 View Post
    .....I understand foods like milk, soy, tofu, mushrooms are great sources of vitamin D. (I am vegetarian)

    I am a little curious - how did our ancestors get adequate amounts of this vitamin? - considering that except milk, none of the above are foods traditionally eaten by Brahmins or many vegetarians in south India (though they are all vegetarian foods)

    what are the top foods/dishes that they incorporated in their diet that accounted for this?
    Sir,

    Welcome to forum.

    Our ancestors considered God-given sunlight as the main source of vitamin D.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,913
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raji Ram View Post
    Sir,

    Welcome to forum.

    Our ancestors considered God-given sunlight as the main source of vitamin D.

    Well said.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,084
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Physical activities of men and women kept them healthy in olden days!

    No pesticides in agriculture and no chemicals to ripe raw fruits.

    Now, obesity, lack of vitamins, knee / low back pains are common complaints!

    Still life goes on!
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Traditionally Brahmins were not wearing shirts for most par of the day and they get abundant sunlight.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,084
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Vitamin D and depression

    I read an interesting article recently and wish to share it in this thread:

    One factor that has an impact on mental health is sunlight. Thatís the conclusion of a recent study which looked at

    the links between weather and depression. Mental health data from more than 16,000 Brigham Young University

    students was used
    whereby assessments had been filled out several times by each person over the course of 6 years.

    The assessments were then matched to local weather data.


    Within the study, 19 different environmental factors including solar irradiance (the amount of sunlight that reaches

    the Earth), cloud cover, rain, wind chill, barometric pressure and smog levels were accounted for. However, it was

    discovered that what mattered most was the amount of time between sunrise and sunset. The other factors didnít

    seem to have a significant association with emotional distress, provided that there was enough sunlight.

    Please read the entire article here: Vitamin D and depression
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raji Ram View Post
    Vitamin D and depression

    I read an interesting article recently and wish to share it in this thread:

    One factor that has an impact on mental health is sunlight. Thatís the conclusion of a recent study which looked at

    the links between weather and depression. Mental health data from more than 16,000 Brigham Young University

    students was used
    whereby assessments had been filled out several times by each person over the course of 6 years.

    The assessments were then matched to local weather data.


    Within the study, 19 different environmental factors including solar irradiance (the amount of sunlight that reaches

    the Earth), cloud cover, rain, wind chill, barometric pressure and smog levels were accounted for. However, it was

    discovered that what mattered most was the amount of time between sunrise and sunset. The other factors didnít

    seem to have a significant association with emotional distress, provided that there was enough sunlight.

    Please read the entire article here: Vitamin D and depression

    Thanks for this C n P posting.....LOL
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  14. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    2,856
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raji Ram View Post
    Sir,

    Welcome to forum.

    Our ancestors considered God-given sunlight as the main source of vitamin D.
    Madam,

    Yes, sun light is the best source of vitamin D. Recently my cousin, retired Principal of Medical College and Professor of Surgery advised me to go to the nearby Garden and sit for 30 minutes in daily morning sun light to gain natural vitamin D, which is essential at my age.

    Regards,
    Brahmanyan
    Bangalore.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  16. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,644
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    hi

    morning surya namakara /yoga/morning beach walk helps a lot vitamin D and sweating is good for diabetic patients...which helps

    more water intake....helps urinary glands to cleaned up..
    asato maa sadh gamayaa, tamaso maa jyotir
    gamayaa, mrityor maa amritham gamayaaa..
    om shanti, om shanti, om shanti...upanishad
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  18. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,084
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    This is a portion of an article I read yesterday:

    Get a bi-weekly dose of sunshine.

    Aim for 5Ė30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 am and

    3 pm twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back, without

    sunscreen to boost vitamin D intake.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •