• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

vitamin D sources in traditional Iyer (or south Indian cuisine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me introduce myself. I am from an Iyer family who grew up in Mumbai and currently working as an engineer.

Recently, I was a little taken by surprise when my doctor said I am low on vitamin D and need to supplement it well in my diet.

I understand foods like milk, soy, tofu, mushrooms are great sources of vitamin D. (I am vegetarian)

I am a little curious - how did our ancestors get adequate amounts of this vitamin? - considering that except milk, none of the above are foods traditionally eaten by Brahmins or many vegetarians in south India (though they are all vegetarian foods)

what are the top foods/dishes that they incorporated in their diet that accounted for this?

.....I understand foods like milk, soy, tofu, mushrooms are great sources of vitamin D. (I am vegetarian)

I am a little curious - how did our ancestors get adequate amounts of this vitamin? - considering that except milk, none of the above are foods traditionally eaten by Brahmins or many vegetarians in south India (though they are all vegetarian foods)

what are the top foods/dishes that they incorporated in their diet that accounted for this?
Sir,

Welcome to forum.

Our ancestors considered God-given sunlight as the main source of vitamin D. :thumb:

Physical activities of men and women kept them healthy in olden days!

No pesticides in agriculture and no chemicals to ripe raw fruits.

Now, obesity, lack of vitamins, knee / low back pains are common complaints!

Still life goes on! :nod:

Vitamin D and depression

I read an interesting article recently and wish to share it in this thread:

One factor that has an impact on mental health is sunlight. That’s the conclusion of a recent study which looked at

the links between weather and depression. Mental health data from more than 16,000 Brigham Young University

students was used
whereby assessments had been filled out several times by each person over the course of 6 years.

The assessments were then matched to local weather data.

Within the study, 19 different environmental factors including solar irradiance (the amount of sunlight that reaches

the Earth), cloud cover, rain, wind chill, barometric pressure and smog levels were accounted for. However, it was

discovered that what mattered most was the amount of time between sunrise and sunset. The other factors didn’t

seem to have a significant association with emotional distress, provided that there was enough sunlight.

Please read the entire article here: Vitamin D and depression

Vitamin D and depression

I read an interesting article recently and wish to share it in this thread:

One factor that has an impact on mental health is sunlight. That’s the conclusion of a recent study which looked at

the links between weather and depression. Mental health data from more than 16,000 Brigham Young University

students was used
whereby assessments had been filled out several times by each person over the course of 6 years.

The assessments were then matched to local weather data.

Within the study, 19 different environmental factors including solar irradiance (the amount of sunlight that reaches

the Earth), cloud cover, rain, wind chill, barometric pressure and smog levels were accounted for. However, it was

discovered that what mattered most was the amount of time between sunrise and sunset. The other factors didn’t

seem to have a significant association with emotional distress, provided that there was enough sunlight.

Please read the entire article here: Vitamin D and depression

Thanks for this C n P posting.....LOL

Sir,

Welcome to forum.

Our ancestors considered God-given sunlight as the main source of vitamin D. :thumb:

Madam,

Yes, sun light is the best source of vitamin D. Recently my cousin, retired Principal of Medical College and Professor of Surgery advised me to go to the nearby Garden and sit for 30 minutes in daily morning sun light to gain natural vitamin D, which is essential at my age.

Regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

hi

morning surya namakara /yoga/morning beach walk helps a lot vitamin D and sweating is good for diabetic patients...which helps

more water intake....helps urinary glands to cleaned up..

This is a portion of an article I read yesterday:

Get a bi-weekly dose of sunshine.

Aim for 5–30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 am and

3 pm twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back, without

sunscreen to boost vitamin D intake.

A whatsapp post on this topic:

15 FACTS ABOUT VITAMIN D.

Vitamin D is perhaps the single most *underrated nutrient* in the world of nutrition.

That's probably because it's free....
Your body makes it when sunlight touches your skin !!

Drug companies can't sell you sunlight, so there's no promotion of its health benefits..

The truth is, most people don't know the real story on "vitamin D and health."

So here's an overview taken from an interview between Mike Adams and *Dr.Michael Holick*.

◆ 1. Vitamin D is *produced by your skin* in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation *from natural sunlight*.

◆ 2. The healing rays of natural sunlight (that generate vitamin D in your skin) *cannot penetrate glass*.
So you don't generate vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.

◆ 3. It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from your diet. *Sunlight exposure is the only reliable way* to generate vitamin D in your own body.

◆ 4. A person would have to drink *ten tall glasses* of vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get minimum levels of vitamin D into their diet.

◆ 5. The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada, the UK and most U.S. States are far from the equator.

◆ 6. People with dark skin pigmentation may need 20 - 30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D.

That's why prostate cancer is epidemic among black men -- it's a simple, but widespread, sunlight deficiency.

◆ 7. Sufficient levels of vitamin D are *crucial for calcium absorption* in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.

◆ 8. Chronic vitamin D *deficiency cannot be reversed overnight*: it takes months of vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body's bones and nervous system.

◆ 9. Even weak *sunscreens (SPF=8) block* your body's ability to generate vitamin D by 95%. This is how sunscreen products actually cause disease -by creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body.

◆ 10. It is impossible to generate too much vitamin D in your body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.

◆ 11. If it hurts to press firmly on your sternum(chest/breast bone), you may be suffering from chronic vitamin D deficiency right now.

◆ 12. Vitamin D is "activated" in your body by your *kidneys and liver* before it can be used.

◆ 13. Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body's ability to activate circulating vitamin D.

◆ 14. The sunscreen industry doesn't want you to know that your body actually needs sunlight exposure because that realization would mean lower sales of sunscreen products.

◆ 15. Even though vitamin D is one of the *most powerful healing chemicals in your body*, your body makes it absolutely free. No prescription required.

~ Other powerful *antioxidants* with this ability include the
super fruits like Pomegranates (POM Wonderful juice),
Acai, Blueberries, etc.

~ Diseases and conditions cause by vitamin D deficiency:

● Osteoporosis is commonly caused by a lack of vitamin D, which greatly impairs calcium absorption.

● Sufficient vitamin D prevents
prostate cancer,
breast cancer,
ovarian cancer,
depression,
colon cancer and
schizophrenia..

● "Rickets" is the name of a bone-wasting disease caused by vitamin D deficiency.

● Vitamin D deficiency may *exacerbate* type 2 diabetes and impair insulin production in the pancreas.

● Obesity impairs vitamin D utilization in the body, meaning obese people *need twice* as much vitamin D.

● Vitamin D is used around the world to treat *Psoriasis*(a chronic skin disease).

● Vitamin D deficiency can cause ~
schizophrenia.

● Seasonal Affective Disorder is caused by a melatonin imbalance initiated by lack of exposure to sunlight.

● Chronic vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as "fibro myalgia" because its symptoms are so similar: *lmuscle weakness, aches and pains.

● Your risk of developing serious diseases like diabetes and cancer is *reduced 50% - 80%* through simple, sensible exposure to natural *sunlight 2-3 times each week*.

● Infants who receive vitamin D supplementation (2000 units daily) have an *80% reduced risk* of developing *type 1 diabetes* over the next twenty years.

1f4a5
Shocking Vitamin D deficiency statistics:

¶ 32% of doctors and med school students are vitamin D deficient.

¶ 40% of the U.S. population is vitamin D deficient.

¶ 42% of African American women of childbearing age are deficient in vitamin D.

¶ 48% of young girls (9-11 years old) are vitamin D deficient.

¶ Up to 60% of all hospital patients are vitamin D deficient.

¶ 76% of pregnant mothers are severely vitamin D deficient, causing widespread vitamin D deficiencies in their unborn children, which predisposes them to type 1 diabetes, arthritis, multiple sclerosis and schizophrenia later in life. 81% of the children born to these mothers were deficient.

¶ Up to 80% of nursing home patients are vitamin D deficient

¶ Up to 90% Indians are
vitamin D deficient!!

Madam,

Yes, sun light is the best source of vitamin D. Recently my cousin, retired Principal of Medical College and Professor of Surgery advised me to go to the nearby Garden and sit for 30 minutes in daily morning sun light to gain natural vitamin D, which is essential at my age.

Regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Morning/Evening sunlight is not of much use. What one needs is afternoon sunlight. Quick way to know if you would get it is to see if you shadow is shorter than your height. If so, good.

Why did our ancestors say this? :confused:

காலை வெய்யில் காலன், மாலை வெய்யில் மருந்து.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back