• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why should we do 60th marriage ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not correct to say 60th marriage!

It is the 60th birthday, when many opt to do some Shaanthi homams.

Detailed description is given in Wikipedia.

Please search for "sashtiabdapoorthi".

It is not correct to say 60th marriage!

It is the 60th birthday, when many opt to do some Shaanthi homams.

Detailed description is given in Wikipedia.

Please search for "sashtiabdapoorthi".

I know what you mean, but just for argument, it may be his 60th wedding anniversary? We just went to a 60th wedding anniversary.

Sashtiabdhapoorthi is a Sanskrit name for a special ceremony on a person's sixtieth birthday. It has a special place in the Tamil tradition since the Tamil calendar follows a 60-year cycle. On this day, all the celestial bodies are said to align in exactly the same way they were during the birth of the individual concerned. The entire family gathers to give and seek blessings to and from the subject for continued good health and prosperity.

I do not believe it should be celebrated as another wedding. It is very Tamilian way, but now it has spread to other parts of the country.

On another Note, it is very male chauvinistic. Why don't we celebrate when a lady turns 60?

Last edited:
sir, our sastras has allowed ladies to have shasti aptha poorthy. . beema ratha shanthi and sathabishekam. in shanthi kusumakaram and shanthi ratnakaram grantha libi books they have not written any thing about mangalya dhaaranam. only shanthi is there. but we are doing it as loukeekam.

hi

the heading is......why must do 60th marriage. Kly explain .....not shastbhapoorthi.....

both are different.....my knowledge.....the shastbhadapoorthi is for individual 's 60th birthday....not marriage...

the POV want to know about 60th marriage anniiversary ppoja...

Dear TBS Sir,

The doubt is asked about '60th marriage', which is 'aRuvathAm kalyANam' in Tamil!!! ;)

I know what you mean, but just for argument, it may be his 60th wedding anniversary? We just went to a 60th wedding anniversary.

Sashtiabdhapoorthi is a Sanskrit name for a special ceremony on a person's sixtieth birthday. It has a special place in the Tamil tradition since the Tamil calendar follows a 60-year cycle. On this day, all the celestial bodies are said to align in exactly the same way they were during the birth of the individual concerned. The entire family gathers to give and seek blessings to and from the subject for continued good health and prosperity.

I do not believe it should be celebrated as another wedding. It is very Tamilian way, but now it has spread to other parts of the country.

On another Note, it is very male chauvinistic. Why don't we celebrate when a lady turns 60?

May be let a male take a 2nd wife when he reaches 60!

I am sure most males would love the idea..why the heck get married to the same lady again!LOL

May be let a male take a 2nd wife when he reaches 60!

I am sure most males would love the idea..why the heck get married to the same lady again!LOL

In what way, the second wife is going to be special....???

Will anyone venture to stand at a queue for application of his/daughter for Kinder Garden Admission at the fag end of his life...?

In what way, the second wife is going to be special....???

Will anyone venture to stand at a queue for application of his/daughter for Kinder Garden Admission at the fag end of his life...?

It will help relieve the burden of the 1st wife!..she passes him over to the 2nd wife.

Aging males can be a pain to handle.

It will help relieve the burden of the 1st wife!..she passes him over to the 2nd wife.

Aging males can be a pain to handle.

How can an husband be suddenly defined as a burden....?

And what is the guarantee that the second wife accepts the aged male wholeheartedly,,,?

The proverb is 'No pain no gain'.

How can an husband be suddenly defined as a burden....?

And what is the guarantee that the second wife accepts the aged male wholeheartedly,,,?

The proverb is 'No pain no gain'.

Best is for you to test it out.

Go get married again and see how it works out.

Best is for you to test it out.

Go get married again and see how it works out.

I only prefer suggestions of persons have have previous experience on the topic...

Others recommendations not dependable.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back