• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

109 years on, Chennai’s oldest typewriting school continues to flourish

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

Legacy continues at Mylapore..
[h=1]109 years on, Chennai’s oldest typewriting school continues to flourish[/h]

Typewriting_institute_650_1%20copy.jpg

The Shorthand School still has over 100 students enrolled, and the only teacher, Padmanabhan, holds 12 sessions a day.

At 5.50 am every day, B Padmanabhan ascends the familiar, spiral staircase leading to his 109-year-old shorthand and typewriting institute, The Shorthand School.

Nestled between the buildings that have sprung up on Mylapore’s Kutchery Road, the school is easy to miss. The board, with its paint peeling, is almost hidden by the branches of the huge neem tree outside it.

Students start walking in as early as 6.00 am and the familiar but forgotten ‘tak-tak-tak-clang-zip’ of typewriters fills the room.

Read more at: https://www.thenewsminute.com/artic...t-typewriting-school-continues-flourish-76775

I saw yesterday also the board displaying 'the shorthand school' hanging on the wall of old typical mylapore type house in a busy Kutcherry road.
I also read one Mr.MANI OF THIRUNELVELI STILL TEACHES SHORTHAND COURSE AT HIS 71 YEARS OF AGE AND STUDENTS THRONG HIS INSTITUTE FROM AROUND THIRUNELVELI TO LEARN SHORTHAND EVEN NOW BECAUSE IF NO DEMAND FOR A STENOGRAPHERS NOW-A-DAYS IN PRIVATE COMPANIES.. HE RETIRED FROM AGRICULTURE DEPARTMENT AND PROUD TO SAY THAT MORE THAN 5000 STUDENTS WHO UNDERWENT THE COURSE WERE IN GOVERNMENT JOBS BOTH AT CENTRAL AND STATE GOVERENDS. REALLY HAPPY TO THE KNOW THIS THROUGH NEWS PAPER.

I STILL HAVE MY OWN DOUBT THAT PRIVATE COMPANIES DISPENSED WITH THE PRACTISE OF RECRUITING STENOGRAPHERS. GENERALLY STENOGRAPHERS CAN BE USED VERY WELL USED AS A ALL ROUNDER IN OFFICIALDOM that is DRAFTING CORRESPONDENCES ACCORDING TO THE DEMAND AND EXPECTATIONS OF THEIR BOSSES BECAUSE THEY WERE WELL TRAINED ON THE LINES OF SPEED WITH PERFECTION ALONG WITH GOOD VOCABULARY PLUS GRAMMAR KNOWLEDGE OF COURSE NOT EQUAL TO PROFESSOR OF ENGLISH. I MAY BE WRONG SOMETIME COS. OF THE INTRODUCTION OF COMPUTER HI-FI.IT IS ADVANCE FEATURE AND CAN BE OPERATED BY ANYBODY that is BY A BOY OF 10 YEARS TO 90 AND ODD AGE VERSATILE.

hi

i saw this school 40 yrs back.....when i was working as school teacher in mylapore....i used visit sometimes...many brahmin

boys/gals learning from this school....i learned hindi typewriting from royapettah punjabi association school in 80s..

Very happy that this thread by Mr.v.balasubramani had take you back 40 recalling the reminiscences of the great mylapore. Glad to note you are conversanot with hindi typewriting. I missed that very much. Had I gone to the hindi typewriting course, i wouldn't have stumbled to read and get it by heart the RUDRA MANTRAM. THIS MIGHT HAVE LANDED ME IN RUDRA JAPAMANTRAM RECITING GHOSTI. EVEN NOW IT IS NOT TOO LATE OF COURSE THE PRINCIPLE AND SELF SERVED POLICY OF THE GHOSTI MAY NOT ACCEPT ME AS I MAY REQUIRE A YEAR TO FALL IN LINE WITH THE RECITING GHOSTING IN THEIR ACCENT,PROUNCIATION, KALA PARIMANAM, DHEERGAM AND MATHI RAI
HOPE TO BE ONE AMONG THEM IN THE GHOSTING BY THE GRACE OF LORD SHIVA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back