• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Spiritual but not religious

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

"
Spiritual but not religious" (SBNR) also known as " Spiritual but not affiliated " (SBNA) is a popular phrase and initialism used to self-identify a life stance of spirituality that takes issue with organized religion as the sole or most valuable means of furthering spiritual growth. Spirituality places an emphasis upon the well-being of the "mind-body-spirit", so "holistic" activities such as tai chi, reiki, and yoga are common within the SBNR movement. In contrast to religion, spirituality has often been associated with the interior life of the individual.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_but_not_religious

[video=youtube_share;PiaULDTmxqk]https://youtu.be/PiaULDTmxqk[/video]

https://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=5822

Last edited:
Spirituality is always linked to religion...it just goes hand in hand.
Its just a trend for many to say they are not religious but spiritual.
Mostly these people who shy away from rituals but still yearn for some 'divine' connection or feel. They would still be reciting mantras to various deities..meditate etc..all same stuff which come under the umbrella of religion...whatever they practice originated from organized religion.

Somehow Spirituality seems like Denial to me..why dont people just admit that they are actually Religious?

Being religious implies that one has inherited or adopted certain established patterns for worshipping the Godhead. Whereas being spiritual implies a direct 'connection' with the Godhead or a belief in one, with or without ritual. These labels are not mutually exclusive.

Being religious implies that one has inherited or adopted pre-established patterns of worship. Whereas, being spiritual implies a direct connection with or belief in the Godhead. These are mere labels and are in no way mutually exclusive.

Being religious implies that one has inherited or adopted pre-established patterns of worship. Whereas, being spiritual implies a direct connection with or belief in the Godhead. These are mere labels and are in no way mutually exclusive.

Religion is nothing but learned spirituality. The "best practices" of past spiritual geniuses have been shared for the benefit of posterity, in the form of religion. Do you want to follow the best practices of another, or wish to chart your own path to salvation - now that's upto you.

Religion is nothing but learned spirituality. The "best practices" of past spiritual geniuses have been shared for the benefit of posterity, in the form of religion. Do you want to follow the best practices of another, or wish to chart your own path to salvation - now that's upto you.

I guess my point is: you can be considered religious by blindly following customs and not be spiritual. Also, you can be a very spiritual seer who follows his/her own path or an established religion.

What would you call, a person motivated by bhakti, or love towards the God?

He can be considered religious since he is following a traditional path followed by bhaktas of the past
He cannot be considered religious in the conventional sense since he doesn't blindly perform rituals or go to temples

He can be considered a spiritual seer, since his bhakti can beget divine insights
He cannot be considered a spiritual seer, since he doesn't establish a new path

What would you call, a person motivated by bhakti, or love towards the God?

He can be considered religious since he is following a traditional path followed by bhaktas of the past
He cannot be considered religious in the conventional sense since he doesn't blindly perform rituals or go to temples

He can be considered a spiritual seer, since his bhakti can beget divine insights
He cannot be considered a spiritual seer, since he doesn't establish a new path

We're playing a label game at this point. I have Bhakti towards the Supreme Spirit or Brahman or Allah. Clearly, I can be termed 'religious' because I seem to be enjoying or adopting 'various' modes of religious worship laid down by bhaktas all over the world. I subscribe to the idea of God regardless and enjoy all cultural interpretations of the Godhead. The essence is still Spiritual.

I think the shade of idea that the word 'Spirituality' seems to express -- and this will mutate with the evolution of our language -- is a metaphysical subscription to a transcendent or divine idea; the word 'Religious' may not always represent that. Someone spiritual might not be mature enough or open enough to have new insights Or establish an original path. As I mentioned earlier, 'Spirituality' and 'Religious' aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back