• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Avial

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyyerram

Avial can be made as rice accompanying as well as sidedish. in sidedish u have to make it in semisolid form(ghatti)

INGREDIENTS

1/4 kg white pumpkin
1/4 kg yam(chenai)
1 raw banana
1 carrot
1/4 kg red pumpkin(not necessary if req)
1 drumstick
3/4 cup grated coconut
6-8 green chillies
3 cups of curds
4 tsps coconut oil
salt to taste
1 tsp turmeric powder
curry leaves

METHOD

1) Cut all the vegetables into 1.5 inches long thin pieces.
2) Cook the yam in a pressure cooker.
3) Cook the rest of the vegetables in water with salt and turmeric powder.
4) Grind the coconut , chillies and enough curds to a fine paste.
5) Beat the rest of the curds. Add all the vegetables, coconut paste,and curds and simmer for 2- 3 mins.
6)Add the 2-4 tsps of coconut oil and curry leaves.

Serve hot with rice .

Njoy

இதை எல்லாம் படிச்சுட்டு என் மனசு என் கையில் இல்லைப்பா! அவியல்! ம்ம்ம்... மோர் சாதம் சாப்பிட்டுண்டு, அவியல் கற்பனை பண்ண வேண்டியதுதான்!

contribution from us pattars, காவத்து கிழங்கு, கூர்க்கை (get it in the west as chinese potatos) & சக்கை கொட்டை. :)

dear drsundaram ji,
sepankizhangu and beans i dnt normally use ,potato we use sometimes, i dnt know if it tastes better. let me try and get u the result.

dear kunjuppu ji,
Avial is something which we call normally for a mix of things. koorkai ,chakkakottai,kavuthu i have not tried, they have a better taste when we make some other things out of that .i will try to post recipes using those.

thnxs

iyer,

if white pumpkin not available, we can also use வெள்ளிரிக்காய். i have also seen some people put brinjal, but i do not like it.

people living in the west, sometimes have to improvise. ;)

avial,one of the best malabar palakkad brahmins have given as a recipe.i applaud the woe-men for what they got from those women.

nachi naga

avial is very famous in palakkad brahmins...there is no sadya/
ayappa sasthapreethi without avial....maximum vegetables combinations..ellam kayyum pottal aviyal...very tasty....paccha vazhakkai must in avial...yummy.. yummy...still we do in USA...
here in USA...ready to eat avial are available in indian grocery stores..
this is varaparasadam for bachelor aasamigalukku...

regards
tbs

here in USA...ready to eat avial are available in indian grocery stores..
this is varaparasadam for bachelor aasamigalukku...

regards
tbs

tbs,

i hope not. prepared food, bought off the shelves are so poisonous - with all the chemicals and overdose of salt. if possible, we should discourage our younger generaton, wherever they live, from getting into the habit of buying processed and prepared foods.

it has caused, i think, untold health issues in the west. these type of foods are the cause of obesity in the children.

our food, is holistic, in that it is pure, simple, natural and above all knows how to meld nutrition into good taste. i think only chinese stir fry beats us in preserving nutrition in the food.

with modern tools, it is very very simple to make our dishes. one only has to google to get a thousand ways to make avial (okay okay, not a thousand, but may be 10?)

get your children into cooking at cooking before they leave for college or university or work. :)

Avial, as already stated in earlier posts by others, started from Palakkad Brahmins. It started to make a recipe out of all small quantities of left over vegetables, which by themselves were too small in qty, but, together, make up the qty as well as compensate the blandness of a few days old vegetables. The name Avial came from AVIZAL.
Pumpkin, cucumber etc came to be added over time, when we started making it for marriages etc for parties, so as to make up for the quantity required.One has to be careful about Yam (except Yam of delhi) because many of them cause terrible itching of the tongue and better avoid it, unless you are sure it is of good qlty.
It is said in sastras that all vegetarian food is to be eaten within four hours after they are prepared;they are unfit thereafter, as they start getting affected by bacteria, ready to eat or otherwise.
Regards and Respects,
Ramanathan.

tbs,i sort of empthaise with your sentiments.But,the taste does differ,as to freshly cut vegetables and ingredients used freshly to prepare avial.Truly indebted to ladies of palakkad for such a recipe.One other dish i love is molaguttaan.

nachi naga.

I'm so jealous that you can get ready made avial in the US. here you have to everything from scratch and even then some ingredients are not there. And I have to scrape coconut with the scraper which i find soo difficult.

Nachi Naga sir read my mind. I love moolaguttal :). Anyone share the simplest recipe please.

re

I'm so jealous that you can get ready made avial in the US. here you have to everything from scratch and even then some ingredients are not there. And I have to scrape coconut with the scraper which i find soo difficult.
Nachi Naga sir read my mind. I love moolaguttal . Anyone share the simplest recipe please.
amala,

Did you know in samnskritam your name moniker is gooseberry.Rich in Vit C.

I got this link http://www.mirchmasala.me/2009/03/keerai-molagutal-spinach-in-lentil.html

maybe this will help to cook.All the best and invite me invisibly as a guest as you are located in London while you partake the delicious dish.Enjoy.

nachi naga.

amala,

Did you know in samnskritam

My f-i-l used to make fun of anyone who misidentifies a ragam, saying you don't know either of the ragams.

There is amla, and there is amalaa.

Amala means one who is pure.

Thiruppanazhvar says,
அமலன் ஆதிப்பிரான், அடியார்க்கு என்னை ஆட்படுத்த
விமலன், விண்ணவர்கோன் விரையார் பொழில் வேங்கடவன்
நிமலன் நின்மலன் நீதி வானவன் நீள்மதிள் அரங்கத்தம்மான்
கமல பாதம் வந்து என் கண்ணினுள்ளன ஒக்கின்றதே
Amalan is one of the names of Sriman Narayana.

Amalan is supposed to refer to one who is free blemishes (mala). Further, Amalan is supposed to indicate that anything that gets associated with him will also will become free of all blemishes as well.

Cheers!

nara,

i did not make fun like your f-i-l,if thats what you are trying to do?Hopefully not,as much as i know you thus far,thru your writings.

Your interpreation is equally valid.I hope amala does not misunderstand me.My post was just a innocent perspective!

nachi naga.

Nachi Naga sir read my mind. I love moolaguttal :). Anyone share the simplest recipe please.
hi amala ji,
here in USA we get scrapped ready made coconut in packet...we
prepare mulagootal thrice in a week....generally on weekends....
we prepare typical palakkad type molagootal....only just we add
more sweet peas to the molagootal...go to www.keraliyers.com...then
in google its available...palakkad reciepes....very detail illustration about
molagoottal with kalan/olan/avial/elissery etc...

regards
tbs

Last edited:
hi amala ji
Molagoottal

Veggies chopped fine (I like cabbgae or keerai molagootal)
Coconut - 1 cup
Ulutham paruppu - 1/2 tsp
Dried red chillis - 2
Jeeram - 1 tbsp
Toram paruppu - 1 cup boiled and mashed
Method:
Boil the veggies in an open vessel with a little turmeric, salt and a pinch of chilli powder.
Dry roast Jeeram, ulutham paruppu, Dried red chillis and a pinch of asafoetida.
Cool and grind this into a paste with fresh grated coconut

Once the veggies are boiled, add mashed toram paruppu and the coconut paste. Let it stand for a boil. Add fresh curry leaves (bruise them a little bit before adding). Adjust salt. Then temper with coconut oil, mustard, asafoetida and if you like a little uluthamparuppu.

I've tried the same recipe with mixed veggies (raw banana, pumpkin, carrots etc) and also with just plain green beans. This is a hit every time.

Make a little araichu kalakki or thair pachadi or inji puli to go with this.

Enjoy!

regards
tbs

courtesy....palakkad receipes

Thank you NachiJi and TBS sir for the recipe. We unfortunately don't have scraped coconut in packets here so iits either coocnut powder (which taste awful) or buying and scraping coconut ourselves.

Yes amla is nellikai (indian gooseberry) but Nara mama I never knew there was so much to my moniker. I've always loved this name. Thanks for the info. Don't worry Nachiji I'm wont misunderstand.

Thank you NachiJi and TBS sir for the recipe. We unfortunately don't have scraped coconut in packets here so iits either coocnut powder (which taste awful) or buying and scraping coconut ourselves.

Yes amla is nellikai (indian gooseberry) but Nara mama I never knew there was so much to my moniker. I've always loved this name. Thanks for the info. Don't worry Nachiji I'm wont misunderstand.
hi amala ji,
today i had keerai molagootal in USA...we called spinach molagootal
here....its yummy yummy....

regards
tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back