• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Rudram & chamakam

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dhikshita

Can anyone recite RUDRAM & CHAMPAKA
M IN THE HOUSE SOON AFTER TAKING A CUP OF COFFEE IN THE MORNING WITHOUT TAKING BATH DUE TO ONE'S OWN
HEALTH CONDITION ?. WILL It INVITE SIN TO HIS OWN SOUL OR WILL IT AFFECT THE YOUNGER GENEGATION FOR HAVING DONE SO? CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME!
சுத்தமான மனச்சுத்தியுடன்
செய்யலாமா அல்லது உடல் சுத்தியுடன்தான் ஈஸ்வரனை ஜபிக்க வேண்டுமா?

காலையில் முகம் கை கால்களை கழுவி நெற்றியில் குழைத்த விபூதியை சிவ நாமம் சொல்லி பூசினால் உடல் சுத்தமாகி விட்டது . மன சுத்தம் உங்கள் கையில் . அமைதியாக அமர்ந்து ஜபம் செய்யலாம்

Sir,
தன்யனானேன்.
தங்களது தெளிவான விளக்கம் எனது சந்தேகத்தை அகற்றிவிட்டது.சிலநேரங்களில் குளிக்காமல் ருத்ரம் படித்தால் பாவச்செயலாகுமோ என மிகவும் பயந்தேன் இனிவரும் காலங்களில் கூடுமானவரை காலையில் குளித்து விட்டு ருத்ரம் படிக்க ஆரம்பிக்கிறேன் முடியாவிட்டால் தாங்கள் கூறியபடி ருத்ரம் படிக்கிறேன்.எனது மனதில் அரித்துக்கொண்டிருந்த பயத்தை நீக்கியமைக்கு மிக்க நன்றி.நலம் நாடும்
தீக்ஷிதா.

Can anyone recite RUDRAM & CHAMPAKA
M IN THE HOUSE SOON AFTER TAKING A CUP OF COFFEE IN THE MORNING WITHOUT TAKING BATH DUE TO ONE'S OWN
HEALTH CONDITION ?. WILL It INVITE SIN TO HIS OWN SOUL OR WILL IT AFFECT THE YOUNGER GENEGATION FOR HAVING DONE SO? CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME!
சுத்தமான மனச்சுத்தியுடன்
செய்யலாமா அல்லது உடல் சுத்தியுடன்தான் ஈஸ்வரனை ஜபிக்க வேண்டுமா?

Dhikshita Ji,

It is part of daily pooja or nithya karma. It is important to prepare your body and mind and it is sheer dedication, pure bhakthi, shraddai that matters in performing such pujas which includes chanting Rudhram. One should take a bathing and wear clothes which were soaked and dried and kept separately, smear vibhoodhi and chandan.

It is more important that before chanting Rudhram and Chamakam, one should first learn these mantras
which are part of vedas, preferably through a qualified Guru. Students can strictly follow Guru’s words more particularly the pronunciations. While sraddhai and bhakthi are more important, adhering to pooja vidhi is also important for achieving better result and utmost satisfaction and to get the blessings of the Bhagwan.

Mr. BALU,
Thank you very much for explaining the inherent qualities and benefits derived out of reciting rudra mantram.I will try to follow the importance of the veda mantram and recite as explained by you.
If not possible I will follow the views of MR.B.V.RAGHAVAN.
LET ALMIGHTY DECIDE AND BLESS ME WITH HIS CHOICEST BLESSINGS SO AS TO ENABLE ME TO REALISE THE BEACON LIGHT OF BLISS NESS IN MY REST OF THE LIFE PERIOD.

Mr. BALU,
Thank you very much for explaining the inherent qualities and benefits derived out of reciting rudra mantram.I will try to follow the importance of the veda mantram and recite as explained by you.
If not possible I will follow the views of MR.B.V.RAGHAVAN.
LET ALMIGHTY DECIDE AND BLESS ME WITH HIS CHOICEST BLESSINGS SO AS TO ENABLE ME TO REALISE THE BEACON LIGHT OF BLISS NESS IN MY REST OF THE LIFE PERIOD.

There are arguments like this...

[h=1]I have read the conflicts between Vishnu dhutas and Yama dhutas in the story of Ajamila..[/h][h=1][/h][h=1]Holy name story: Story of Ajamila![/h]

ajamila-1024x675.jpg

A story from Srimad-Bhagavatam.

By His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

There was once a young brahmana named Ajamila [pronounced aj-a-meel], who was a reservoir of good character and conduct. He was mild and gentle, always truthful, well versed in the Vedic scriptures, and very pure.

One day, on the request of his father, Ajamila went to the forest to collect fruit, flowers and grasses. On the way home, he came upon a very lusty low-class man embracing and kissing a prostitute. Both of them were drunk, and the man was smiling, singing and enjoying himself without shame. The prostitute’s eyes were rolling in intoxication, and her dress had become loose. When Ajamila saw her, the lusty desires in his heart awakened, and in illusion he fell under their control.

Remembering the instructions of the scriptures, Ajamila tried not to gaze at the woman. He strained to control his lusty desires with the help of his knowledge and intellect, but he failed and as a result lost all his good sense. In the days that followed he always thought about the prostitute, and within a short time he took her as a servant in his house and abandoned all the brahminical principles.

Ajamila began spending the money he had inherited from his father on various gifts to satisfy the prostitute. He even abandoned his beautiful young wife, who came from a very respectable family. Thus Ajamila spent his long life irresponsibly breaking all the rules and regulations of the holy scriptures. He was unclean and addicted to forbidden activities. Living extravagantly, he maintained his family by harassing others, cheating, gambling and theft.

Over the eighty-eight years of Ajamila’s life, he fathered ten sons by the prostitute. Ajamila’s youngest son, a baby named Narayana, was naturally very dear to both his father and mother. The child’s broken language and awkward movements greatly endeared him to old Ajamila, who always took care of him and enjoyed his activities.

[FONT=&quot]At the time of death one is certainly bewildered because his bodily functions are in disorder. At that time, even one who throughout his life has practiced chanting the holy name of the Lord may not be able to chant the Hare Krsna mantra very distinctly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nevertheless, such a person receives all the benefits of chanting the holy name. While the body is fit, therefore, we should chant the holy name of the Lord loudly and distinctly. If one does so, it is quite possible that even at the time of death he will be able to properly chant the holy name of the Lord with love and faith and return home, back to Godhead, without a doubt.[/FONT]

Read more at: http://www.bhagavatam-katha.com/holy-name-story-story-of-ajamila/

Dhikshita Ji,

Please try to understand as to why I am insisting you for learning Sri Rudhram through a Guru is mainly because it is Sanskrit which is a very complicated language and least phonetic. And perfection in pronunciation is very important in such hymes.

Better option will be to join a dedicated group conducted by a qualified Guru. This is happening around Chennai City.

What is required is a Will.

We every day as soon as we wake up switch on the I pad and listen to Rudhram, chamakam. We feel very comfortable through the day.

Thank you for your suggestion. Of course I do have inherent qualities ( no bad habits as on date). and inclination to learn through GURU. I AM IN SEARCH OF SUITABLE GURU CONVENIENT TO BOTH OF US. I HOPE TO MEET HIM SHORTLY BY THE GRACE OF DEVATHI DEVAN SRI MAHESWARAN.

Please also make sure you are externally (bathe, clean clothes etc.) and internally( bathroom visits done, mentally clean) as well. Cleanliness is next to godliness. You need to be as pure as possible to approach and propitiate the purest of all.

Dear Dhikshita Ji,

Though many have guided you with much clarity regarding the recital of a vedic hymn like Shri Rudram when you are not able to bath, i just wanted to add my view also to it.
Since it is very evident that you really wanted to recite with a pure body and mind, then that itself had fetched you the eligibility.
There need not be any hitch regarding this, but there is an alternative easy solution that will help you to solve this dilemma which is approved by our shastras.
That is,
1) Do 'Aachamanam' (this will cleanse externally by touching the body part by recital of lord's name - external or body cleansing).
2) Do atleast 3 'Pranayaama' (To purify your mind by cleansing the nadi's or nerve currents, by the control of the vital airs)
3) Finally, Do 'Prokshanam' by the recital of 'Apohista mayo buvah:' - (The is considered to be a COMPLETE BATH - matrokta snanam).

Infact, you can see in daily practice that not all do sayam sandhya by taking a complete bath, that is why in our sandhya procedure they (the great rishi's ) have included this 'mantrokta snanam' - 'Apohista mayo buvah' as external cleansing and 'Prashanam' mantram (i.e., sipping water after the mantram is recited) for internal cleansing.

Just this sprinkling part in the ritual itself is considered to be a bath which is very easy and shouldn't be an issue.
But should be followed as anukalpam only (ie., secondary option only when the first or main option, taking bath is not possible.).

Hope this will relieve your guilt feeling completely.
May Lord Shiva bless you on this Shivaratri day.

Sarvam Krishnaarpanam.
Venkat.

Sir,
Thank you for enlightening me about our sashtra and it's implied indepth meaning enshrined therein. Purity is the foremost important issue here. Honestly speaking one should be dedicated himself to maintain purity as expected and explained by you explicitly. Apart from understanding the inner meaning of the sri rudra mantram one should very be careful while reciting the correct prounciation. Here most of us are feared to take risk about reciting cos we may not be knowing the exact prounciation and wrong pronunciation may invite sin by ourselves. About the sandhyavandanam I did it after my upanayanam and thereafter some days soon after the marriage we did sandhyavandanam. Now totally no touch. This mistake is not at all forgivable. You have insisted on the three sashtras. (1) Aachamanam (2) three pranayaamas (3) prokshanam by reciting APOHISTA MAYO BUVAH but I should practice again the sandhyavandanam to remember those procedures.
I will try to follow the importance of the veda mantram and recite as explained.
I consider you as one among my Guru's after my beloved father-in-law.
My PRANAMS,
Yours
Dhikshta.

PS: I wrote a long reply to your response from my cell-phone. Unfortunately while clicking quick post some mistake might have been cropped in and got completely erased.
Since I am interested in replying to your response I tried to recollect and sent to you.please forgive me for any mistake

Dear Dhikshita Ji,
Very nice to see your reply and also your noble intention to start to practice sandhyavandanam.

I would like to share few info and also my views with respect to vedic chanting and learning and
also some points on sandhyavandanam too.

Regarding Vedic hymn chanting:
In this chaotic world, where ppl raise doubts or questions to each and everything they encounter, whether it is sensible or not, i would say, the intention to somehow learn vedic hymn, whether it is self taught or through audio cds, whatever way many be the channel, but the intention itself is noble. It is my very strong feeling that you would not incur any sin for this violation for not learning through a proper guru. More so, if the intention to learn is not for any desire based.(ie., reciting 'Rudram' for any specific result.)

Having said all this, when we look in to the structure of vedic hymn, the glory and power of a vedic mantra and also finally, the most praise worthy guru parampara tradition, its seems very compelling to learn it through an adept Guru.
The Structure of a vedic hymn is very technical, it has got swaras like udaata, anudaata and swarita majorly and the letters have specif time duration to recite like dheergam, hrasvam and plutam and the also the visarga sandhi with the following words changes the phonetics .. These are some of the major points to be considered while reciting a vedic mantra.

So, Considering all this, even though if we learn on our own, there are more chances that we might not be aware if we are making a mistake or reciting properly. Also, learning through a Guru not only helps us learn things quite easier without getting much into the technicalities, but also, help us to get the grace of a Guru, which is indispensable, that helps us in getting mantra siddhi. (to get perfection in mantra recital and to receive recitations full result)

So, Atleast initially learn few sessions from a guru, and then with his hearty consent, learn of your own. With little time allotted, say like 20 to 30 mins every day and with proper disciple, you will make a great progress.

And regarding learning Sandhyavandanam:
There is an app in play store by name ' Sandhyavandanam' developed by 'Mahastro'.
Recently, i suggested this in another post in the same category. It will be very helpful for beginner or for anybody in general.
It makes things easier in every possible way. Check it out. you might find it very helpful.

May God bless you to learn vedic mantras and sandhyavandanam.
Best wishes.
Venkat.

Dear Dhikshita Ji,

(Note:I don't why know why my reply is not posted for so long. I posted the following same content 5 days back. since it is not reflected here in this thread, i'm posting it again.)

Very nice to see your reply and also your noble intention to start to practice sandhyavandanam.

I would like to share few info and also my views with respect to vedic chanting and learning, and

In this chaotic world, where ppl raise doubts or questions to each and everything they encounter, whether it is sensible or not, i would say, the intention to somehow learn vedic hymn, whether it is self taught or through audio cds, whatever way many be the channel, but the intention itself is noble. It is my very strong feeling that you would not incur any sin for this violation for not learning through a proper guru. More so, if the intention to learn is not for any desire based.(ie., reciting 'Rudram' for any specific result.)

Having said all this, when we look in to the structure of vedic hymn, the glory and power of a vedic mantra and also finally, the most praise worthy guru parampara tradition, its seems very compelling to learn it through an adept Guru.
The Structure of a vedic hymn is very technical, it has got swaras like udaata, anudaata and swarita majorly and the letters have specific time duration to recite like dheergam, hrasvam and plutam and the also the visarga sandhi with the following words changes the phonetics .. These are some of the major points to be considered while reciting a vedic mantra.

So, Considering all this, even though if we learn on our own, there are more chances that we might not be aware if we are making a mistake or reciting properly. Also, learning through a Guru not only helps us learn things quite easier without getting much into the technicalities, but also, help us to get the grace of a Guru, which is indispensable, that helps us in getting mantra siddhi. (to get perfection in mantra recital and to receive recitations full result)

So, Atleast initially learn few sessions from a guru, and then with his hearty consent, learn of your own. With little time allotted, say like 20 to 30 mins every day and with proper disciple, you will make a great progress.

There is an app in play store by name ' Sandhyavandanam' developed by 'Mahastro'.
Recently, i suggested this in another post in the same category. It will be very helpful for beginner or for anybody in general.
It makes things easier in every possible way. Check it out. you might find it very helpful.

Best wishes.
Sarvam Krishnaarpanam.
Venkat.

Sir,
Thank you once again for advising me the nuances of learning vedika hymns under a schorally guru which is also indispensable in getting man training Siddi. FANTASTIC.
REGARDING SANDHYAVANDANAM you had earlier insisted on three sashtras which are highly improtant hymns tobe followed that is (1) Aachamanam (2) three pranayaamas and (3) prokshanam by reciting APOHISTA MAYO BUVAH.
Tobe frank I do GET INSPIRATION AND ENERGY OUT OF SIMULATION FROM YOUR GUIDANCE APART FROM THE FAITH AND DHARMA ANUSHTAS INCORPORATED INTO THE HYMNS. MAY FUNCTION AS CATALYST TO KEEP OTHERS ON THE TRACK OF HINDU BRAHMIN FAITH.
WITH PRANAMS
DHIKSHITA.

Dear Dhikshita Ji,

(Note:I don't why know why my reply is not posted for so long. I posted the following same content 5 days back. since it is not reflected here in this thread, i'm posting it again.)

I would like to share few info and also my views with respect to vedic chanting and learning, and

The Structure of a vedic hymn is very technical, it has got swaras like udaata, anudaata and swarita majorly and the letters have specific time duration to recite like dheergam, hrasvam and plutam and the also the visarga sandhi with the following words changes the phonetics .. These are some of the major points to be considered while reciting a vedic mantra.

Best wishes.
Sarvam Krishnaarpanam.
Venkat.
hi

just info...i went to veda patashala and studied vedas in my childhood.....getting admission into veda patasala was very tough...

tight competetion tooo....some 4 decades back....nice veda patasalas ..dedicated gurus and shishyas......that guru /shishya

paramapara system going down now....now both are rare....everybody wants doctors/IT engineers....now a days....

some old retired ppl want to learn vedas....these are realities.....tech knowledge helps to learn through youtube./cds...

so now its hard to learn through guru /shishya parampara...

Dear tbs,
I agree to your point of view to some extent. That's in a way true, because that how its practically happening these days.
These things, the culture change is happening only because we started to neglect the subtle factors which is so vital and started to take only gross output in whatever we pursue.
We started to see thing from a western mind that what does it matter if i learn through cd, youtube or only through a qualified guru.?
Either we don't realize our mistake these days or we forgot the true quality that differentiate US(Indian minds) from the west.

That quality that i'm talking about is unique to us for ages, that is the SUBTLE factor in every act that we do that takes us to make real progress.
Simply to say, learning as a process involves not just learning the subject matter alone,
but the real qualities like
1) to respect the guru,
2) discipline,
3) his soulful blessings( which is not a gross manifestation but subtle one which really matters),
4) proper guidance when we do mistakes, and learning of subtle nuances,
5) and finally a person to person contact, the emotion vibration, inspiration to see a fully qualified personality in front of you.

... These things somewhat related are to "FAITH and BELIEF" which are very SUBLE. but those very "faith and belief" were our true strength which helped us finally attain the ultimate truth. But if you see, only these qualities (Faith and belief) the western minded mock much about in the name of our surreptitiousness .
It is true that to some extent that we lost the connect to the subtle factors why it so and what it reaps when followed, but it also our duty to pursue to know why it was so and what are their effects.

I'm an IT guy, but i didn't learn in a gurukulam as such, but went in search of an adept guru for some time .. and in time was able to learn few suktams with proper guidance and with considerable satisfaction. So, all it matters is how important it is for you to learn, and more importantly for what you are learning it.. It may be to show know few vedam mantram like to show off, or with devotion to recite, or for others it may be for some result for the recitation..
The effort is totally proportional to the result one seeks..
I hope i'm not offending any view.. i totally agree the standpoint of yours too in a way..
but i also humbly feel 'manam irundhaal maargam undu'..

All his grace.
Sarvam Krishnaarpanam.
Venkat.

It is a pleasure to receive a response and further advice from TBS JI to my query about reciting Rudra mantram. Very happy to know that you had been to the veda patasala
at your tender age and learnt from dedicated experienced gurus.

As narrated, self learning method may have more chances of making unknown mistakes reciting imperfectly.

Now-a-days youngsters do have wondeful
Dreams to become doctors, engineers, lawyers, chartered accountants, and finally IT professional to serve the nation. To achieve their goals they have to struggle, toile and spend more time and energy from their tender age.
The ultimate one of the aims to recite perfectly is to reach the LOTUS FEET OF LORD SHIVA

IN HIS REPLY HARIOM JI MENTIONED THAT VEDIC HYMNS IS VERY TECHNICAL, IT HAS GOT SWARAS LIKE UDAATA, ANUDAATA, AND SPARTA MAJORLY and the letters have specific time duration to recite like dheergam, hratnam, and pluratam and also the Visarga sandhi which relates to phonetic sound. I don't know the meaning of these words. I leave it there.
If dedicated guru is available, I will go to him to learn RUDRA MANTRAM for able astrologer three months.afterwards I propose to learn myself by using YOUTUBE.

YOUR MORALE SUPPORT GAVE ME INSPIRATION AND STRENGTH BESIDES BOOSTING MY ENERGY LEVEL AND CONFIDENCE TO ENABLE ME TO REACH MY GOAL IN GETTING BY HEART THE RUDRA MANTRAM . I am eagerly awaiting that day to come to fulfill my ambition

Thanks for guiding
Yours
Dhikshta.

E&OE

hi

veda mantras three different swaras.....UDATA...ANUDATTA..SWARITA....even rudram/chamkam in two different parts of yajurveda..

krishna yajurveda and sukla yajurveda....both are different swaras....learning vedic mantras through guru SATTVA....

through audio RAJAS.....through books TAMAS....the choice is individual...

Can please if your time permits the meaning of asato maa..........mrityor maa amirth
Gamayaa.

Here I want a small clarification about skula
Yajurveda.
Sorry to putforth the following under this head:
While seeking for bridegroom to my daughter, a boy from skula Yajurveda came across. At that time my father-in-law
Sri.Chandramouli was alive. I told the boys details to him for consultation. I told me to avoid this alliance. I passed the message accordingly.

Then the bridegroom's brother contacted over phone and asked me for the reason why you people does like this? I said no question of liking but I politely managed the situation by saying that the second opinion obtained from a astrologer doesn't have compatibility between them and else nothing wanton.

Then I dropped my idea to know that reason as I was otherwise engaged in search mode for a suitable bridegroom.

By the grace of God and with the blessings of elders they are happy
Extremely sorry for asking this sarcastic question and pardon me if I hurt anybody's feeling.

My father-in-law passed away at his 93 years of age.

Can please if your time permits the meaning of asato maa..........mrityor maa amirth
Gamayaa.

Dear Dhishita Ji,

Near meaning of Asato maa ....sanskrit sloka is furnished hereunder:

असतो मा सद्गमय
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय
शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः
Om Asato Maa Sad-Gamaya |
Tamaso Maa Jyotir-Gamaya |
Mrtyor-Maa Amrtam Gamaya |
Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Meaning:
1: Om, (O Lord) Keep me not in the Unreality (of the bondage of the Phenomenal World), but lead me towards the Reality (of the Eternal Self),
2: (O Lord) Keep me not in the Darkness (of Ignorance), but lead me towards the Light (of Spiritual Knowledge),
3: (O Lord) Keep me not in the (Fear of) Death (due to the bondage of the Mortal World), but lead me towards the Immortality(gained by the Knowledge of the Immortal Self beyond Death),
4: Om, (May there be) Peace, Peace, Peace (at the the three levels - Adidaivika, Adibhautika and Adhyatmika).

Source: http://greenmesg.org/stotras/vedas/om_asato_ma_sadgamaya.php

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[h=1]Asatoma Sadgamaya: lyrics and meaning[/h]Asatoma Sadgamaya is a Shanti Mantra (Mantra of peace), it is taken from Brihadaranyaka Upanishads (1.3.28). It is used as a prayer in Indian schools, during spiritual/ religious gatherings , social events and other times; it is believed that the recitation of these verses bring peace.
In recent times this peace mantra has been used in the 'Navras' soundtrack from the movie 'The Matrix Revolutions'
[h=3]Sanskrit Lyrics[/h][h=3]Lyrics transliterated in english[/h][h=3]Meaning in English[/h]
असतोमा सद्गमय ।
तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमय ।
मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय ॥
ॐ शान्ति शान्ति शान्तिः ।।
asato mā sadgamaya
tamasomā jyotir gamaya
mrityormāamritam gamaya
Oṁ śhānti śhānti śhāntiḥ
From ignorance, lead me to truth;
From darkness, lead me to light;
From death, lead me to immortality
Om peace, peace, peace