• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Story of misplaced Perungaaya dabba

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Grand mother lived up to 90 years,She had great sense of humour.
My earlier posting on Five daughters in law was also her's.yesterday I remembered her when I was searching for something at home.

In my childhood I remember she will always be sitting on the Thinnai at the entrance and watching what is going on.Whenever we misplace something and ask her where it is she Quotes the following story.

One lady engaged in the kitchen was looking for Perungaya dabba.She had misplaced it and got disturbed,came out and saw a Unchavrithi Brahmin at the gate. She asked him whether he saw the Perungaaya Dabba ???

Yey Unchavrithi brahmanare,engathu Perungaaya dabbavai parthela?

Last edited:
As a person who has the experience(s) of 'shaking the kitchen holding it upside down', looking for perungayam, I can relate that lady's desperation. :violin:.

Cheers!

probably, i am the only one, who did not get the joke :(

can someone explain this to me. please. i am embarassed :noidea:

probably, i am the only one, who did not get the joke :(

can someone explain this to me. please. i am embarassed :noidea:

Shri Kunjuppu,

Subtle underlying humour(or moral if you call it) is the significance of this story.How will a Unchavrithi Brahmin going in the road in search of food will ever know where the perungaya dubba is kept or missing.He is totally unconcerned.My Paatti wanted to drive home the point that "How will I ever know the whereabouts of perungaaya dubba when I am sitting at the Thinnai doing my japam.In short you ought to know better than me.

I do not know if it is clarified or made it worse?

Sabesan Narayanaswami

Shri Kunjuppu,

Subtle underlying humour(or moral if you call it) is the significance of this story.How will a Unchavrithi Brahmin going in the road in search of food will ever know where the perungaya dubba is kept or missing.He is totally unconcerned.My Paatti wanted to drive home the point that "How will I ever know the whereabouts of perungaaya dubba when I am sitting at the Thinnai doing my japam.In short you ought to know better than me.

Sabesan Narayanaswami

Further explantion

Perungayam - Asafoetida

Box containing Asafotida is `Perungaya Dubba'

All the best

Namassadhasae.

Shri Sabesan Sir,

Kudos to the family with this sense of humour. Thanks for sharing this piece. Got the answer for the element of humour in most of your postings. Wish let this vamsam long live and exist in this world, with the same sense of humour,for kalpakoti kAlam.

Regards.

GS

"அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!" _ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

Shri Kunjuppu,

Sabesan Narayanaswami
hi sabesan sir,
i will try to explain more....unchu vritti brhamanarukkum perungaya
dabbhakuum sambhandhe mey illai...but paattikku prengaya
shabba ninanappu...anaal unchu vritti brhanaruko adutha velai
bhishaikku ninappu....so paatii poyi antha brahmanar kitte
perungaya dhabbhavai kettal avarukku enna therium?
koncham purinchitha?

regards
tbs

hi sabesan sir,
i will try to explain more....unchu vritti brhamanarukkum perungaya
dabbhakuum sambhandhe mey illai...but paattikku prengaya
shabba ninanappu...anaal unchu vritti brhanaruko adutha velai
bhishaikku ninappu....so paatii poyi antha brahmanar kitte
perungaya dhabbhavai kettal avarukku enna therium?
koncham purinchitha?

regards
tbs

tbs sir,Thalai suttarathu!!!

Dear TBS and Sabesan uncle

I will also try to explain the same.

Pattiku perungayam enga irukkunu nu therila. Unjavruthi brahmanrku aharam enga irukku therila. So, both are in search. They just want to help mutually to each other. So, patti with a braod-minded herself started asking to unjavridhi brahmana, whether he knows anything about Prrungaya dabba. But what the brahmana knows only about his unjavrithi dabba. Might be she has mistook this dabba with that dabba.

Is it OK???

Pranams

குழப்பம்..பெருங்குழப்பம்! அடியேன் இந்த பெருங்காய டப்பா நகைச்ச்வைக்கு சிரிப்பதா அல்லது எல்லோரும் குழம்பிபோய் நிற்பதை கண்டு சிரிப்பதா?

Cheers!

அதனால்தான் சித்தர் பாடினார்...
காயமே இது பொய்யடா, காற்றடைத்த பையடா....

Cheers!

Oh the story goes like this???

Perungayam itself is a maya... I mean perum+kayam (big body) itself is a maya and we have to search a dabba for it, if we lost. That is if we dies, again we have to search for fresh dabba (body) to get in.

What a great philosophical turn from this normal joke??

இப்போ தெரியறதா? பாட்டி லேசு பட்ட பாட்டி இல்லை!

All paatis are like that only uncle. They will say small simple things and make us to think bigger issues from them.

My mom whenever she hear some new dishes or when she tastes some new dishes which are not good, she will say the item is

"bhagavathy amma (my great grand mother) vayathula savithri amma porandhu, savithri amma (my grandma) vayathula vanajamba (my mom) poranda mari irukku".

Whatever be the unwanted situation she always use this dialogue to show how it looks...

Further explantion

Perungayam - Asafoetida

Box containing Asafotida is `Perungaya Dubba'

All the best

thanks sabesan.

venkat, the issue with me was not perungayam or dubba. but this one 'Unchavrithi Brahmin '. what is unchavrithi? thanks.

Unchavrithi is a task, where the brahmanan should not beg infront of anyhouse. He will be going all his way withour standing infront of anyone house. But he will singing bhagavn namas in louder voice so that everyone (including the housewives) hear that and provide bhiksha to him. The brahmanan then should cook the rice and offer naivedhya to god and eat that. Such the custom of unjavrithi differs from normal bhikshavandan.

Purandaradasa is much known for this. Once to check him the queen placed her nose-stud along with rhagi. In his house on seeing this, the wife of purandaradasa said to him that "these days people are offering rhagi with stones in it" and she threw that precious stone as mere stone. Such is the baked quality of unjavrithi brahmins.

Now a days such customary guys are vanishing. But till now, before the day of radha kalyana people are doing that.

Hope it clears...

Pranams

Unchavrithi is a task, where the brahmanan should not beg infront of anyhouse. He will be going all his way withour standing infront of anyone house. But he will singing bhagavn namas in louder voice so that everyone (including the housewives) hear that and provide bhiksha to him. ..............

Now a days such customary guys are vanishing. But till now, before the day of radha kalyana people are doing that.

Hope it clears...

Pranams

As a symbolic recreation of the tradition, in Kerala , in places where there are group of T. brahmin houses (eg Kochi,Perumbavoor,Palghat ) this system is followed in a small way, when the unchavritti person goes around Brahmin houses accompanied by Naama sankeerthanam and bhajansinging members, and collects items for Sree Rama Navami Utsavam(either 9 days or just one day-according to the strength and convenience of the local members).

Greetings

Thanks to Sabesan Sir for the hilarious post! More interesting were the interpretations:clap2: I would like to add my version of explanation: It is not the Patti who has asked the Unchavrithi brahmanan for the misplaced perungaya dabba! It is by someother lady who was in kitchen searching for the dabba and Patti just refers her in her example.

dear tbs sir
You have changed the story itself. It is the 'lady of the house' who is talking with the brahmin and not the 'paatti'

Sri. Durga Dasan,

"My mom whenever she hear some new dishes or when she tastes some new dishes which are not good, she will say the item is

"bhagavathy amma (my great grand mother) vayathula savithri amma porandhu, savithri amma (my grandma) vayathula vanajamba (my mom) poranda mari irukku".

Sri DD, at our place paatti, if she didn't like it (mostly she wouldn't anyways!) would say this ' என்ன கர்மம்டி இது? நான் பொண்ணா பொறந்து பூலோகத்துல வாழ்ந்த மாதிரி இருக்குடிம்மா!'

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back