• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Avadhuta Gita

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

Dear all,

I want to share the Avadhuta Gita of Dattatreya (Advaita Ahsrama,translated by Swami Chetanananda forwarded by Swami Harshananda) with everyone.

I will post a few shlokas a day so that we can imbibe the essense on a daily basis.

Chapter 1

Stanza 1

The Avadhuta said:
It is God's grace alone which gives wise men the desire to realize nondual Brahman; thus they are set free from great fear.

Stanza 2
Indeed, everything in this universe is filled with the Atman.And,since is covered by Itself, how can I worship that formless,indivisible, immutable Supreme Beatitude?

Stanza 3
The universe, consisting of the five elements(space,air,fire,water and earth), is like water in a mirage.Ah,being that one, stainless Atman,to whom shall i bow down?

Stanza 4
Truly the Atman alone is all, and in It there is neither division nor nondivision. It apperas to me perplexing to say"The Atman exist" or "The Atman does not exist"

will post somemore as days go on.
renu

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

To your kind attention - What is the difference between 'Uddhava Gita' and 'Avadhuta Gita', please? Thanks.

Cheers!

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

To your kind attention - What is the difference between 'Uddhava Gita' and 'Avadhuta Gita', please? Thanks.

Cheers!

dear raghy,

From what I know "Uddhava Gita" is Srimad Bhagavatam XI.6-29

"Rama Gita" is Adhyatma Ramayana, VII.5
There is also Ashtavakra Gita.

renu

Dear Sir/madam,

This is a good service. Lord Dattatreya is one of the Gurus in the
Advaita Brahma vidya parampara, next only to Lord Dakshinamurthy.
This treatise is attributed to him. Bhagavata and Markandeya
puranas give details about him.

Extreme non-dualism is advocated by him in this Gita like, for
instance, this sloka :

indrajaalam idam sarvam yathaa marumaricikaa
akhanditam anaakaaro vartate kevalaha sivaha

Quite an interesting attempt by Renuji.

Stanza 5

The quintessence of the whole Vedanta is the knowledge and realization of the Atman.
By nature I am that formless, all pervading Atman.

Stanza 6

Undoubtedly I am that Atman, which is omnipresent, luminous,undivided like space,intrinsically pure and unclouded by Maya.

Stanza 7

Truly, I am imperishable, infinite and the embodiment of pure consciousness.
I do not know how happiness and misery are experienced or who it is that experiences them.

Last edited:
re

Stanza 5

The quintessence of the whole Vedanta is the knowledge and realization of the Atman.
By nature I am that formless, all pervading Atman.

Stanza 6

Undoubtedly I am that Atman, which is omnipresent, luminous,undivided like space,intrinsically pure and unclouded by Maya.

Stanza 7

Truly, i am imperishable, infinite and the embodiment of pure consciousness.
I do not know how happiness and misery are experienced or who it is that experiences them.

renu,

tat tvam asi--> you are that brahman

nachi naga

renu,

tat tvam asi--> you are that brahman

nachi naga

Dear Nachi Naga Ji,

Ayam Atma Brahma... So are you and me.

We are all That One and Only Brahman only.
But dont know when I will realize that in the true sense.....

bye
renu

It is indeed a previlege for me/us to receive such despatches from a Medical doctor.I don't think we have a Medical Doctor in our forum who contributes so much with in depth of knowledge of whatever she authors . I am of the opinion that Dr. Renuka's postings enables another value added quality to medical fraternity as a whole.
May God bless her with peace , prosperity and good health.

hi renu ji.
aham brahmasmi......im the brahman

regards
tbs

Dear TBS ji,

Dont you agree that even though the 4 Mahavakyas are about Non Dualism only;
Prajnaanam Brahma
Ayam Atma Brahma
Aham Brahmaasmi
Tat Tvam Asi

but even then there is still a small amount of Qualified Non Dualism present.

Prajnaanam & Brahma
Atma & Brahma
Aham & Brahma
Tat & Tvam

I guess when all dualism dissappears we wont even be able to discuss about all this.

As the knower of Brahman is verily Brahman Itself.

It is indeed a previlege for me/us to receive such despatches from a Medical doctor.I don't think we have a Medical Doctor in our forum who contributes so much with in depth of knowledge of whatever she authors . I am of the opinion that Dr. Renuka's postings enables another value added quality to medical fraternity as a whole.
May God bless her with peace , prosperity and good health.

Dear Dr Sundram,

You know your last line about Peace, Prosperity and Good Health sounds very much like a Chinese New Year Greeting in Malaysia.
Chinese New Year this year fall on 14 & 15 of February.
Its fun, we get to see Lion Dance and eat lots of Mandarin Oranges.

The greeting in the Mandarin Language(Chinese dialect) is:

GONG XI FA CAI

renu

Very good compliment by Dr Sundaram to Dr Renuka.

One thing which we all should notice that Dr Renuka always spreads positive thoughts to the forum.

We should also compliment her for her depth of knowledge in our ancient sanskrit literature. Living in a different country and mastering a language of another country is really amazing.

Please keep it up Dr Renuka

All the best

Stanza 8

For me there is no mental action---good or bad;
For me there is no physical action---good or bad
For me there is no verbal action---good or bad.
I am the undying consciousness,pure and transcendental.

Stanza 9

Truly the mind is like space;it seems to face in all directions;it seems to transcend everything; it seems to be everything.But inreality, the mind does not exist.

Mind--according to the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, "desire,resolve,doubt,faith, want of faith,steadiness,unsteadiness,shame,intelligence and fear--all thse are but the mind."(1.5.3)

Stanza 8

For me there is no mental action---good or bad;
For me there is no physical action---good or bad
For me there is no verbal action---good or bad.
I am the undying consciousness,pure and transcendental.

Stanza 9

Truly the mind is like space;it seems to face in all directions;it seems to transcend everything; it seems to be everything.But inreality, the mind does not exist.

Mind--according to the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, "desire,resolve,doubt,faith, want of faith,steadiness,unsteadiness,shame,intelligence and fear--all thse are but the mind."(1.5.3)

Dr Renuka,

Stanza 9 talks about mind and supersedes stanza 8. Physical and verbal action is also originated or triggered by mind only.

Mind is full of thoughts. As you rightly said it doesn't have any physical presence in the body but it is the originating point for all thoughts.

We get both good thoughts as well as bad thoughts originate from the mind.

How to avoid bad thoughts from getting originated in the mind.

I mean just only allowing only good thoughts in the mind. `Let noble thoughts come to us from all sides' - Rig Veda

I feel `mind is the root cause of all problems and solutions for all problems are there in the mind only'.

In the Bagavath Geetha, Lord Krishna ultimately helps Arjuna to overcome certain thoughts and at the same time ensures that certain thoughts are prevailing in his mind. To me `Bagavath Geetha' is also ultimately a `mind game'

Let us discuss more about this and I invite suggestions from all.

All the best

Dr Renuka,

Stanza 9 talks about mind and supersedes stanza 8. Physical and verbal action is also originated or triggered by mind only.

Mind is full of thoughts. As you rightly said it doesn't have any physical presence in the body but it is the originating point for all thoughts.

We get both good thoughts as well as bad thoughts originate from the mind.

How to avoid bad thoughts from getting originated in the mind.

I mean just only allowing only good thoughts in the mind. `Let noble thoughts come to us from all sides' - Rig Veda

I feel `mind is the root cause of all problems and solutions for all problems are there in the mind only'.

In the Bagavath Geetha, Lord Krishna ultimately helps Arjuna to overcome certain thoughts and at the same time ensures that certain thoughts are prevailing in his mind. To me `Bagavath Geetha' is also ultimately a `mind game'

Let us discuss more about this and I invite suggestions from all.

All the best

Dear RVRJi,

The mind is like a mad monkey some say, like a water bubble some say..like wild horses some say...
But one thing i am quite sure the mind is the most difficult to control.

Its almost imposible for me at least to only have good thoughts in my mind.
All of us get angry, hate something or the other at certain points in our life.
When someone does not see eye to eye with us or rather mind to mind with us--we get angry.

Its not really easy to reach the state of Samadhee.(equal mindedness)
Sama--equal
Dhee--mindedness

But I guess everyone can try.
Didnt Mahatma Gandhi sing "Sab ko Sanmathi dey Bhagavan"

Bad thoughts also flutterby our mind like a butterfly traversing a portal.
Now should we close this portal for bad thought to enter or just open another potral to let it exit?

But I personally feel we should never suppress our thoughts whether bad or good.
Thoughts should be resolved...
For example is someone desires to smoke...he should not suppress the desire but rather weigh the pros and cons of smoking and face the desire(without actually smoking) and transcend that desire.

A man living in a forest might think he conquered anger but actually there is no one there to make him angry.
when he comes to town and meets people his anger might resurface.
there is no bigger/more dense forest than our mind.(Brihadaranya)(Brihad--big, Aranya--forest)
In the Brihadaranya of our mind,lots of wild animals in the form of thoughts roam...almost impossible to control at times.

Bhagavad Geeta is the the perfect sermon for mind control as you have correctly noted.

Our body is the chariot,horses represent the senses, the reins represent our mind and the Lord is the Sanathana Sarathi.

Last edited:
Dr Renuka,

You are correct. We have to allow all the thoughts in our mind and at the same time we should try to overcome the bad thoughts by allowing the mind to resolve within itself and direct our actions only on good thoughts.

In the Mahabarath, (Bagavat Geeta is part of Mahabarath only) Lord Krishna provokes Arjuna repeatedly.

During Geethopadasa he gives lot of explanations as to why he should fight and preserve Kshatria Dharma for the benefit of the community at large.

Later when Arjuna starts fighting with Bhishma, Lord is not satisfied with the sincerity of Arjuna and feels that he is not fighting with full vigour. Infact He threaters to fight Himself using his Chakrayutha against his previous oath not taking up arms in the war. Bhishma also welcomes it with folded hands saying it is a great pleasure for him to get killed by Lord Himself.

Lord Balarama tells Lord Krishna that the later is totally responsible for war and associated destruction.

It means, God Himself provokes us some times.

All the best

Dr Renuka,

You are correct. We have to allow all the thoughts in our mind and at the same time we should try to overcome the bad thoughts by allowing the mind to resolve within itself and direct our actions only on good thoughts.

In the Mahabarath, (Bagavat Geeta is part of Mahabarath only) Lord Krishna provokes Arjuna repeatedly.

During Geethopadasa he gives lot of explanations as to why he should fight and preserve Kshatria Dharma for the benefit of the community at large.

Later when Arjuna starts fighting with Bhishma, Lord is not satisfied with the sincerity of Arjuna and feels that he is not fighting with full vigour. Infact He threaters to fight Himself using his Chakrayutha against his previous oath not taking up arms in the war. Bhishma also welcomes it with folded hands saying it is a great pleasure for him to get killed by Lord Himself.

Lord Balarama tells Lord Krishna that the later is totally responsible for war and associated destruction.

It means, God Himself provokes us some times.

All the best

Dear RVRJi,

Enlighting reply.

God I feel Propels(Pracud)us rather than Provokes us.
Provocation is an act to get a response which might be negative most of the while.
Arjuna had surrended to Lord Krishna and here Lord Krishna wanted to make sure Arjuna did not stray from the Path of Dharma.

To God there is no action or inaction, He might appear engaged in action but He is actually not in it.
Its Gods desireless desire which propels us in the right direction.

hi renuka ji,
avaduta system initially started in srimad bhagavatam...sri
vishnu himself took form rishabha dev and started preaching
avaduta gita...the same rishabha dev was the first theerthangara
of jainism..is called aadhinaath....from here the avaduta parambara
started...

regards
tbs

Nice thathuvams written by many members here. They are vey nice to read. Are the members practising those philosophies too? Just curious to know. Thanks.

Cheers!

Nice thathuvams written by many members here. They are vey nice to read. Are the members practising those philosophies too? Just curious to know. Thanks.

Cheers!

Dear RaghyJi,

Its very difficult to control thoughts at times.
The human mind is really the most difficult to tame.

renu

Stanza 10

I am one and in everything.I am unbounded and beyond space.How can I see my own Self appearing and disappearing?

Stanza 11

Why do you not understand you are truly that absolute One?You are the eternal Atman reflecting all equally.You are the unrefuted Lord and ever shining.Then how can you think of day(light) or night(darkness).

Day and night-- an illumined soul transcends space, time and causation.

taken from Avadhuta Gita by Dattatreya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back