• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First batch of SC-ST priests ready to take charge at Tirupati temples

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

In a sharp departure from tradition, the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD) is ready with its first batch of non-Brahmin priests. The priests, mainly belonging to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe are expected to assume charge soon.

About 200 people from Dalit and backward communities have undergone rigorous training for three months as part of a pilot project by the TTD management.

"The management is going to appoint SC, ST priests in temples governed by it very soon," TTD executive officer Anil Singhal said.

Singhal said this is the first time when members from downtrodden sections of the society are being given a chance in the recruitment process for world's richest temple.

"The demand for reservation for Dalits for the priesthood has been persisting for several decades. Previous attempts to meet the demand have faced stiff resistance from certain quarters. But now we have made it a reality," Singhal said during a press confference at Delhi.

The programme, which was taken up by the TTD's Sri Venkateswara Employees' Training Academy (SVETA) was launched two years ago but discontinued later.

Now the first batch of trained priests are out and very soon they will be appointed at the temples. TTD is going to construct around 500 temples in SC, ST and fishermen colonies along with the Endowments department.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/amaravati/first-batch-of-sc-st-priests-ready-to-take-charge-at-tirupati-temples/articleshow/61962754.cms

This is not new. Pujas and rituals in many Temples are looked after by communities other than Brahmins. Our family Temple at Perungalur in the present Puthukkottai is the Temple for Ayyappan named "Malayamarungar" and an Ayyanar temple called "Urumunathar" .
"Malayamarungar "(Malayappan) is considered a powerful God. The Poojaris who perform Pooja in this Temple belong to "Padimathar" caste. "Urumunathar" temple is situated little farther away from the other two temples. Some restrictions like that of in Sabarimalai are applicable to ladies in this Ayyanar temple of "Urumunathar". Till recently the first son in our family was named as Malayappan or Hariharan.
Similarly trained priests from other communities like Pillaimar, Sthapathi, Pandaram are also appointed in many temples.
Recently this is introduced in the State of Kerala.
Even though most of the Priests belong to Brahmin community, they are different and do not mixup with the main stream Brahmins, who have migrated to other professions. They belong to subsects like Pattarmars,(Madurai) Pothis (Tiruchendur) Gurukkals, Nambis (Avudayarkoil), Dikshadars (Chidambaram) etc.
I observe most of children of our Vadhyars have left Vedic Studies in Padasalas and opt for modern education.
Now it is time for Government to train people from other communities to take care of Temples.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

I do not know to what extent these pujari's will be allowed to perform.

I have seen a non-brahmin priest being employed, but not allowed to enter garbagram.

So he is allowed to shout his prayers in native tongue from afar.

I do not know to what extent these pujari's will be allowed to perform.

I have seen a non-brahmin priest being employed, but not allowed to enter garbagram.

So he is allowed to shout his prayers in native tongue from afar.

Yes. This is happening in the case of Odhuvars in Shiva Temples. I notice this in Kabali Temple. Ironically, Vellala Community is responsible for construction of most of the Shiva Temples in Tamil Nadu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back