• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Lighting ghee lamp for prayers instead of camphor

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I'm aware villaku and Deepam can be lit with ghee or oil, and neeranjanam should be with camphor.

So when offering Deepam during puja e.g. ram agnyaathmikayai Deepam darisayami" ghee/oil Deepam should be waved infront of deity.

The problem with camphor is the smoke it gives out while burning. If it is a an enclosed puja room with no exhaust system, all the smoke gets settled in the roof making it darker over a period of time. This is out of my personal experience.

Why do we offer lamps to God? (Aarti)

Virtually every puja includes the offering of a flame to a Deity. This is aarti. This lamp is usually made with a ghee wick or a camphor (kapoor) flame. There are two basic reasons why a lighted lamp is offered. The first is purely practical. In ancient times the lamp provided illumination to see the Deity since electrical lights were not available. The lamp would be offered to the feet of the Deity, then slowly moved up to illuminate the knees, the waist and the chest, to finally illuminate the face. This would allow meditation on each part of the Deity starting from the feet.

The second reason is purely symbolic and goes back to our metaphor: the sun equals light, which equals knowledge, which equals consciousness, which equals liberation. Think of the flame as a kind of bhoga which then becomes a prasada after being offered to the Deity. The flame is then presented to the worshippers who sweep their hands across the lamp in a gesture that suggests “scooping up” the light and bathing their eyes, face and head with the blessings of knowledge, etc. In an interesting side note, when a ghee wick is prepared usually two wicks are twisted together. The two wicks combined make a larger flame and one that symbolically represents the soul and God (atma and the paramatma), combined.

http://sanskrit.org/the-offerings-of-food-and-lamps-aarati/

This thread is in Rituals, I am mindful of that.
But my practical question is why use fire when we can use a flashlight?
I have known many accidents in puja rooms, can we be practical and safe.

Last edited:
Why do we offer lamps to God? (Aarti)

Virtually every puja includes the offering of a flame to a Deity. This is aarti. This lamp is usually made with a ghee wick or a camphor (kapoor) flame. There are two basic reasons why a lighted lamp is offered. The first is purely practical. In ancient times the lamp provided illumination to see the Deity since electrical lights were not available. The lamp would be offered to the feet of the Deity, then slowly moved up to illuminate the knees, the waist and the chest, to finally illuminate the face. This would allow meditation on each part of the Deity starting from the feet.

The second reason is purely symbolic and goes back to our metaphor: the sun equals light, which equals knowledge, which equals consciousness, which equals liberation. Think of the flame as a kind of bhoga which then becomes a prasada after being offered to the Deity. The flame is then presented to the worshippers who sweep their hands across the lamp in a gesture that suggests “scooping up” the light and bathing their eyes, face and head with the blessings of knowledge, etc. In an interesting side note, when a ghee wick is prepared usually two wicks are twisted together. The two wicks combined make a larger flame and one that symbolically represents the soul and God (atma and the paramatma), combined.

http://sanskrit.org/the-offerings-of-food-and-lamps-aarati/

This thread is in Rituals, I am mindful of that.
But my practical question is why use fire when we can use a flashlight?
I have known many accidents in puja rooms, can we be practical and safe.

I have another question...what can we truly offer God when we can not create even 5 elements?

For whom is the light for?
For us or for God?
So what is the true Jyoti we can offer to God?

Does it make any difference whether the lighting in the Sanctum is done with oil, ghee, camphor or electricity ? When I look at the changes that is accepted by us in our personal life, generation after generation due to scientific advancement, it looks meaningless to preserve some old method only in the abode of God. All are HIS gift. Let us accept and go forward.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Does it make any difference whether the lighting in the Sanctum is done with oil, ghee, camphor or electricity ? When I look at the changes that is accepted by us in our personal life, generation after generation due to scientific advancement, it looks meaningless to preserve some old method only in the abode of God. All are HIS gift. Let us accept and go forward.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear Sir...

Well said.
Perfect!

Yes..even Poojas are done via Skype now.
In the mornings people switch on CDs of Suprabhatam or switch on You Tube for mantras.

Camphor is symbolic that desires/ego should be reduced to nothingness ..camphor burns off fully sans residue besides soot.

Ghee lamp according to spiritual research foundation claims that light from Ghee lamp is Sattva.

Dont know whether there is actually Sattva Rajas or Tamas light!

But logically any form of illumination is for us humans to see.

It makes no difference to God.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

I agree why can we not progress? Why these ancient outdated practice is holding us up.
And please do not bring up other religions and their practice to justify continuing our practice.
Others are equally archaic.

Let us change our practice to include modern methods.

Dear Sir...

Well said.
Perfect!

In the mornings people switch on CDs of Suprabhatam or switch on You Tube for mantras.

Camphor is symbolic that desires/ego should be reduced to nothingness ..camphor burns off fully sans residue besides soot.

Ghee lamp according to spiritual research foundation claims that light from Ghee lamp is Sattva.

Well said.

Dear Sir...

Well said.
Perfect!

hi

may be gheee lamp sattva......candle light can be rajas.....electrical candle light can be tamas...just kidding ..lol

hi

may be gheee lamp sattva......candle light can be rajas.....electrical candle light can be tamas...just kidding ..lol

Lol..
Thats what the spiritual research website said..
Ghee..Sattva
Candle..Rajas
Electric..Tamas.

In Temples nowadays they have naked bulbs. I am sure they are not in compliant with the code.
According to ancient customs, the garbagraha should be in dark.
For aesthetics, we can have battery operated valuku similar to oil burning valuku.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back