• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Besh! Besh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besh! Besh! Idu romba nanna irukku!! Are we still using that with most of us moving to the NB Tamil dialect!!

Besh Besh

\baysh - baysh\

Definition

TamBrahm equivalent for "Shabash!"Pattis, athais and assorted mamis have used "besh besh" to exclaim positively on acceptable dress codes, matrimonial choices, monday vridham meals, oiliness of hair, prominence of the beauty spot, pitch of voice, grace in bharathanatyam and other matters of similar utmost importance.
But the phrase was immortalzied in popular culture by the famous Narasu's Kapi ad in the 1980s with Usilamani saying "Besh, Besh Romba Nanna Iriku".

Usage

Mami: Paddu, where are you going dressed like this?
Padmini (dressed in pavada-jacket): Oh, my friend is dancing at the ashtalakshmi kovil in T-Nagar.
Mami: Oh, besh besh! That Lata vaa?

http://www.samosapedia.com/e/besh_besh

Is the word Besh Besh even Indian in origin?

The closest Sanskrit word in the dictionary is Bhesh..meaning "to fear,dread"....certainly the context in which Besh Besh is used does not match.

Most likely its a colloquialized form of the non indian word Shabas

Origin
From Urdu and Persian šābāš, from šād ‘joyful’ + bāš! (imperative) ‘be!’.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/shabash

So I guess humans do adopt dialects of other cultures with time.

Anyway I stand corrected...Can anyone give info on the origin of this word Besh Besh?

Last edited:
Is the word Besh Besh even Indian in origin?

The closest Sanskrit word in the dictionary is Bhesh..meaning "to fear,dread"....certainly the context in which Besh Besh is used does not match.

Most likely its a colloquialized form of the non indian word Shabas

Origin
From Urdu and Persian šābāš, from šād ‘joyful’ + bāš! (imperative) ‘be!’.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/shabash

So I guess humans do adopt dialects of other cultures with time.

Anyway I stand corrected...Can anyone give info on the origin of this word Besh Besh?

I think it originated from the word Sabhasaha (Sanskrit) to describe someone eminent or from Hindi/Persian Shabhash which is the equivalent for Well Done!!

bhesh bhesh. bheshajam two syllables. contraction took place and became bhesh. LOL.

vganeji,

That was said in a lighter vein. Not meant to be subjected to such a breaking down and analysis. Now I have to hide somewhere. LOL.:behindsofa:

Vaagmiji, I missed the LOL in your earlier post & was splitting my hair!! LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back