• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Manchester Univ confirms: How Isaac Newton Stole Gravity concept from a Gurukul

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]Manchester Univ. Confirms: This is How Isaac Newton Stole Concept of Gravity from a Hindu Gurukul[/h] By

ankit sharma -

September 19, 2017

A little known school of scholars in south India discovered one of the founding principles of modern mathematics hundreds of years before Isaac Newton according to this new finding by Manchester University. Many would not believe how christian missionaries also helped in transporting this Information to Britian in 15th Century.

Dr George verghese Joseph from The University of Manchester says the ‘Kerala School’ identified the ‘infinite series’- one of the basic components of calculus – in about 1350. The discovery is currently and wrongly attributed in books to Sir Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibnitz at the end of the seventeenth centuries.
kanada1.jpg

The team from the Universities of Manchester and Exeter reveal the Kerala School also discovered what amounted to the Pi series and used it to calculate Pi correct to 9, 10 and later 17 decimal places.
And there is strong circumstantial evidence that the Indians passed on their discoveries to mathematically knowledgeable Jesuit missionaries who visited India during the fifteenth century. That knowledge, they argue, may have eventually been passed on to Newton himself.
Dr Joseph made the revelations while trawling through obscure Indian papers for a yet to be published third edition of his best selling book ‘The Crest of the Peacock: the Non-European Roots of Mathematics’ by Princeton University Press.

He said: “The beginnings of modern maths is usually seen as a European achievement but the discoveries in medieval India between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries have been ignored or forgotten.
The brilliance of Newton’s work at the end of the seventeenth century stands undiminished – especially when it came to the algorithms of calculus. But other names from the Kerala School, notably Madhava and Nilakantha, should stand shoulder to shoulder with him as they discovered the other great component of calculus- infinite series.
There were many reasons why the contribution of the Kerala school has not been acknowledged – a prime reason is neglect of scientific ideas emanating from the Non-European world – a legacy of European colonialism and beyond. But there is also little knowledge of the medieval form of the local language of Kerala, Malayalam, in which some of most seminal texts, such as the Yuktibhasa, from much of the documentation of this remarkable mathematics is written.

He added: “For some unfathomable reasons, the standard of evidence required to claim transmission of knowledge from East to West is greater than the standard of evidence required to knowledge from West to East.
Certainly it’s hard to imagine that the West would abandon a 500-year-old tradition of importing knowledge and books from India and the Islamic world. But we’ve found evidence which goes far beyond that: for example, there was plenty of opportunity to collect the information as European Jesuits were present in the area at that time.
They were learned with a strong background in maths and were well versed in the local languages. And there was strong motivation: Pope Gregory XIII set up a committee to look into modernizing the Julian calendar.

On the committee was the German Jesuit astronomer/mathematician Clavius who repeatedly requested information on how people constructed calendars in other parts of the world. The Kerala School was undoubtedly a leading light in this area.
Similarly there was a rising need for better navigational methods including keeping accurate time on voyages of exploration and large prizes were offered to mathematicians who specialized in astronomy. Again, there were many such requests for information across the world from leading Jesuit researchers in Europe. Kerala mathematicians were hugely skilled in this area.

http://mailonnews.com/2017/09/19/ma...ept-of-gravity-from-a-hindu-gurukul-in-india/

Nice post. May not possibly go well with rational thinkers. There are many other findings too, which are oriinally belong to our ancient saints or vedas and shahstras. Since there were no practice like copy rights registration etc at that time many of these findings are now owned by others. Our Ayurveda is one such big looser in this field. It is also believed that Tulsidass mentioned the distance between Earth & Sun in his Hanuman Chalisa as early as in 15th Century, so probably some one must have found it much before he wrote. But now the credit belongs to Jean Richer and Cassini who are supposed to have found this some time in 17th century.

Last edited:
I generally believe in posts from Vganeji.
I used to live in Manchester.
This post intrigued me.
I went to the Manchester University Archives
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/article/?id=13552

I could not find any reference to this paper.

Could someone verify the authenticity of this report?

I do not doubt that the concept originated in India.
If you read Russian books, which we used to do in my younger days, every invention was made by a Russian. And we used to wonder about them. I wrote an essay in my high school based on one such book. I gave the credit to this Russian Engineer I. Polzunov in 1763 who invented steam Engine and not James Watt. I did not get good grades.

Look at the following website, you almost want to believe it.

http://englishrussia.com/2012/02/15/invented-by-russians/

Last edited:
I generally believe in posts from Vganeji.
I used to live in Manchester.
This post intrigued me.
I went to the Manchester University Archives
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/article/?id=13552

I could not find any reference to this paper.

Could someone verify the authenticity of this report?

I do not doubt that the concept originated in India.
If you read Russian books, which we used to do in my younger days, every invention was made by a Russian. And we used to wonder about them. I wrote an essay in my high school based on one such book. I gave the credit to this Russian Engineer I. Polzunov in 1763 who invented steam Engine and not James Watt. I did not get good grades.

Look at the following website, you almost want to believe it.

http://englishrussia.com/2012/02/15/invented-by-russians/

This search will yield you better results:

http://manchester.academia.edu/GeorgeJoseph. But this appears to be just a blog.

The passage quoted in the original message is from the author's book : "Crest of the Peacock - Non-European Roots of Mathematics". Since the book is into its third edition, I think it may not be completely hoax.

Having said the above, I am not too sure that the original three rules of motion are given in Vaisheshika Sutra of Kanada like "vegaH nimitta viSeshAth karmaNo jAyathe" etc. and would not attribute stealing etc. to Newton.

I am trying to lay my hands on the original vaiSeshika sutrAs to see if the quoted texts appear ditto in the original. I am a bit surprised that the contents of this book published in 2010 have got a sudden life in 2017.

I also remember "The Hindu" publishing a few articles of Dr. Joseph and I presume that they would have undertaken adequate background check before publishing his views/articles.

Thank you Zebraji.

I remember that Modiji claimed that first head transplant was that of Elephant on Human (Ganesh). Those are political liberties for the masses.

Similarly, we can say Brahmastra is the Nuclear Bomb.
Let us not rush to conclusions based on very flimsy grounds.

Like Ganesh65ji says:
May not possibly go well with rational thinkers.
He might as well have said that reasonable people are not that gullible.

Most of what is happening in the real world were depicted in Science fictions. No one is crediting Jules Verne with inventing Submarine.

A Tour of the Underwater World") is a classic science fiction novel by French writer Jules Verne published in 1870.The description of Nemo's ship, called the Nautilus, was considered ahead of its time, as it accurately describes features on submarines, which at the time were very primitive vessels.

It is also important to note that
George Gheverghese Joseph

Is a Kerala Christian. I am not suggesting that there is any bias because of his birth.

Last edited:
The title of the article by Ankit Sharma is misleading at best or is a deliberate lie.

Manchester Univ confirms

Manchester University never confirmed it.

Dr. Joseph was (and may still be) in the faculty of Manchester University.

Ankit Sharma is a prolific writer and most of it is fiction. He combines a tinge of truth to his colorful lie.

I wish we would be little better than spreading such lies. I am deeply disappointed.

Then again in the age of Donald Trump, we should not expect any better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back