• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

systems in our tradition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on our Smartha tradition During 6 or 5 occasions wife should be on the left side. Further they should be in the front at many times they should follow. Pl. en light me on these two points. REGARDS WITH NAMASKARS. v.lalithakumar

Please tell us where you found this tradition? I will quickly put is back where you found it.
A wife should be where she wants to be. Or you will have an unhappy wife and end up in the other thread.
https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=36517&p=390625#post390625

A pillow can be on your right, left, top or bottom.
A dog may me be behind or in front of you.

Based on our Smartha tradition During 6 or 5 occasions wife should be on the left side. Further they should be in the front at many times they should follow. Pl. en light me on these two points. REGARDS WITH NAMASKARS. v.lalithakumar

There is no smartha tradition or vaishnava tradition in this. There is only a brahmin tradition. According to that the woman will be at the right side of her husband on important situations like when blessing a youngster who falls at their feet and seeks Asirvatham. This is remembered easily by the advice மனைவிக்கு இடம் கொடேல் said in joke.

This might have come from what is observed in God's pictures. In temples too the Sannidhi of தாயார்( in Vishnu temples) as well as அம்மன் (in Shiva temples) is on the right side of Swamy sannidhi.

. This is remembered easily by the advice மனைவிக்கு இடம் கொடேல் said in joke(#3)

This advise மனைவி வலம் வரவேண்டும் is again a joke!

Dear Lalitha,

The elders in my family have told these.

1. Wife has to be on the left side of her husband when he takes 'Aseervadham',

holding his upper garment, to collect the 'akshathai'.

On all other occasions, she has stand in his right side only.

2. When pradhakshiNam is done:

a) During pitr karmAs, wife should go in the front and husband will follow her.

b) During poojAs, wife should follow her husband.

And...... I belong to smArthA group.

Smt. Raji Ram

Dear Lalitha,

The elders in my family have told these.

1. Wife has to be on the left side of her husband when he takes 'Aseervadham',

holding his upper garment, to collect the 'akshathai'.

On all other occasions, she has stand in his right side only.

2. When pradhakshiNam is done:

a) During pitr karmAs, wife should go in the front and husband will follow her.

b) During poojAs, wife should follow her husband.

And...... I belong to smArthA group.

Smt. Raji Ram

Apart from the above,when doing pitru karma, poonool is from the right shoulder to the left hip. Whenever wife has to stand near the husband where the couple are required, it is based on the side where the bottom portion of the poonool hangs. For religious functions, it is the other way, and the wife stands accordingly.

Balaji

Dear Raji Ram madam thanks a lot. I am Lalithakumar(male). you have understood my post in the correct sense.for DEVA rituals as well as auspicious functions it is advised that male should be followed by the spouse.during pithru karyas the other way.Our vadhyar told me the six incidents where the lady to be on the left/front. i remember 3 the others i forgot. 1)pithru karyams she should lead. 2)sayanam she to be at the left. 3) during abishegam such as abdha purthies, pattabishekam(this would be clear by viewing Sri RAMA CHANDRA SEETHA PATTABISHEKA &SIVA PARVATHI DHARBAR PICTURES.) both front and left leads to the same sequence. if anyn one can point out the other 3 I SHALL BE GRATEFUL TO THEM.REGARDS. v.lalthakumar

Dear V L Kumar Sir!

I checked with my family sAstrigaL and he confirms what I have written is correct. Only for receiving Aseervadham,

after a pooja/ ceremony, the wife has to be on the left-side of her husband. On all other events, including abhishEkam,

the wife has to be on the right-side of her husband. Of course, I felt embarrassed to ask about sayanam!! :D

For pradhakshiNam:

1. After pitr kAryams, husband follows his wife.

2. After DEva kAryams, wife follows her husband.

In Sri Rama pattAbhishEkam & Lord Shiva Parvathi pictures, the Devis sit on the left side because they are Goddesses. :)

Dears both pithru as well Deva puja are religious functions only. During the argium to Deva the position of the PUNAL is UPAVEETHI , for pithrus PRAACHEENA VEETH & KRISHIS- NIVEETHI. Normally we are to in UPAVEETHI. Regards.v lalihakumar

Dears both pithru as well Deva puja are religious functions only. During the argium to Deva the position of the PUNAL is UPAVEETHI , for pithrus PRAACHEENA VEETH & KRISHIS- NIVEETHI. Normally we are to in UPAVEETHI. Regards.v lalihakumar

[h=3]On which side of her husband should the wife be while doing Namaskar?[/h]While performing any act the wife should stand to the right of her husband. The husband represents the ‘Moon’ channel. The wife is considered to be the other half of her husband and represents the ‘Sun’ channel. The Sun channel is symbolic of the manifest functional Divine Energy of the Adishakti, which is the provider of energy to any action. The Moon channel, indicative of the God principle, is symbolic of Lord Shiva who actually functions on the strength of the energy provided by the Adishakti. As the Divine Energy of Lord Shiva, the wife should stand to the right of her husband and support him in every action. In every ritual the wife without performing any actual act, provides him with the ‘Energy for Action’ of Goddess Durga which is required for a ritual, by placing four fingers of her right hand on his right arm. This is why the act performed by the host and his wife by virtue of being complimented by Lord Shiva and Divine Energy bear fruit in a short period.
https://www.hindujagruti.org/hindui...-a-husband-and-wife-do-namaskar-together.html

Q:Should a wife stand to the right or left side of her husband?

A:QUICK ANSWER

Traditionally, a bride stands to the left of her husband on their wedding day and at social events. However, these days it is rare for a wife to purposefully stand to the left of her husband.

FULL ANSWER

The reason a wife would traditionally stand to the left of her husband is because a man's right arm was considered his sword arm. Should a husband have to protect his wife, he would hold her in his left arm and fight off any danger with his right arm. It was therefore in the wife's best interests to always stand on the left of her husband.

https://www.reference.com/world-view/should-wife-stand-right-left-side-her-husband-e07e3346950ddb73#

Last edited:
........... The reason a wife would traditionally stand to the left of her husband is because a man's right arm was considered his sword arm. Should a husband have to protect his wife, he would hold her in his left arm and fight off any danger with his right arm. It was therefore in the wife's best interests to always stand on the left of her husband.....
OMG! In brahmin culture the wife stands to the right of her husband during most of the rituals, except while the husband

collects the akshadhai from elders, in his upper garment!

This may be because generally brahmins don't fight with swords!! :D

Nithya kalyANa PerumAL: Courtesy - Google images.

nithya-kalyana-perumal-temple_1428380653.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back