• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mysuru Pak is ours: Karnataka and Tamil Nadu fight it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

61672678.jpg
Mysuru Pak (File photo)MYSURU: Days after resolution of the debate whether the rasgulla originated in Bengal or Odisha, a new controversy has arisen, this time over the sweet south Indian delicacy of Mysuru Pak.

A fierce war of words has erupted between Tamilians and Kannadigas on social media over the provenance of Mysuru Pak. Both states are vying for the coveted GI tag for the confection. Who created the age old sweet dish? Did it really come from Mysuru, the old name for the state of Karnataka? - these are the questions being raised.

In 1835, British officer Lord Macaulay had talked about the origins of Mysuru Pak during an address in the Indian Parliament.

"One of my best friend from Bangalore told me that Mysuru Pak was invented by the people of Madras. Tamilians have been making Mysuru Pak for years, but 74 years ago, a lawyer from Mysore stole the recipe and handed over the secret formula to the king of Mysore. The king of then named the dish 'Mysore Pak'," Macaulay is believd to have said in a speech dated February 2, 1835.

Based on this story, Tamilians claim that Mysuru Pak belongs to them.

However, Kannadigas insist that the sweet desert was first prepared in the royal kitchens of the Mysuru Palace during the reign of Krishna Raja Wadeyar IV by a palace Kakasura Madappa. The royal chef made a concoction of gram flour, ghee and sugar. When asked its name, Madappa had nothing in mind, so he simply called it the 'Mysuru's pak', where pak is a Sanskrit word Paaka.

Mysuru Pak is famous in South India. Most marriages and other events include Mysuru Pak on their menu of sweets.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mysuru/mysuru-pak-is-ours-karnataka-and-tamil-nadu-fight-it-out/articleshow/61672661.cms

The traditional crispy MysorepAk is different from the new 'kozhakozhA' MysorepA!! ;)

images
mysore-pak-250x250.jpg

hi

recently i got mysore pak from grand sweets in chennai....i heard that sri krishna sweets id famous for mysore pagu....it

really based on PAGU of the sweet...

I have my own recipe of EZ Mysorepak.

And...... I love ONLY that since it contains minimal ghee and is belly friendly! :cool:

That new one from Krishna Sweet called Mysore Pa is an abomination of Mysore Pak.

Prasadji, I prefer the Krishna sweets one as it is very tasty and melts in the mouth...The other one moramora karakara one is reserved for marriages or other events

Prasadji, I prefer the Krishna sweets one as it is very tasty and melts in the mouth...The other one moramora karakara one is reserved for marriages or other events

Sir,

Mysore Palk is expected to be mora mora and kara kara. Any Mysore Palk that is not mora mora and kara kara is not authentic.

Sir,

Mysore Palk is expected to be mora mora and kara kara. Any Mysore Palk that is not mora mora and kara kara is not authentic.

Sir,

May be the Krishna sweet folks are unable to get the consistent padam of honeycomb structure which is the hallmark of an authentic one...May be vazha vazha kozha kozha one was easy to make & it got a good market!!

...May be the Krishna sweet folks are unable to get the consistent padam of honeycomb structure which is the hallmark of an authentic one...May be vazha vazha kozha kozha one was easy to make & it got a good market!!
Unable to get? No way! They are the sweet experts.
award_star.png

The mysorepA they 'created' are most welcome and easy to eat even by those with dental problems!! :D

Here is a video to show how soft mysorepA is made: Ghee mys
orepaa

hi

pagu nalla irunthaal mysore pak.......illatti mysore burfi.....hard pagu becomes burfi...

Read this...an Iyer invented Mysore Pa.

Mysurpa is soft and creamy. Invented by N. K. Mahadeva Iyer, the considerable difference in texture is the result of a secret technique of stirring the mixture. This secret is guarded by Sri Krishna Sweets, the only manufacturer of Mysurpa because Iyer was the company’s founder.

http://culturama.in/2017/07/31/sweet-nothings/

In old Coimbatore of my days there used to be a sweetmeat stall called "Original Viswanatha Aiyar Mittai Kadai" (my uncle used to call as சுப்பு கடை) situated just opposite to தேர் முட்டி in Raja Street. Here they used to prepare fresh Badam Halva, Musore Pak, Medu Pakoda and some other Sweets and Kara snacks, all in pure Ghee and oil. If we go there by 3.00 pm. all will be available, but will be sold out by 5.00pm and the shop will be closed afterwards.
Ten years ago when I had gone to Coimbatore, I made it a point to visit the place in the evening, but found the shop closed. on enquiry the neighbour told me they have sold the preparations for the day and gone as usual, will open next day.

Now on enquiry I came to know the present owners of "Sri Krishna Sweets " belong to the same family.
No wonder the tradition is followed now.
I am not sure this is true and would be glad if this is confirmed by some one from Coimbatore.

How ever it is my view "Mysore Pak" is from Mysore only. Mysore Pa may be different preparation.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Fight over GI (Geographical Indication) tag for Rosogolla

It (Rosogolla) is so good, in fact, that two neighboring states in East India fought over where the dessert came from - West Bengal or Odisha. Last year, Odisha (formerly known as Orissa) applied for a geographical indication, or a GI tag, to have ownership rights over rosogolla. But Saha's home state of West Bengal, also called Bengal, won out.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/11/19/565153447/the-importance-of-rosogolla?

Karnataka did not exist when the sweet was named. It was in Madras Presidency.
So it belongs to Madras. Madras was renamed as Tamil Nadu, so it belongs to Tamil Nadu.
Kind of convoluted logic.

Karnataka did not exist when the sweet was named. It was in Madras Presidency.
So it belongs to Madras. Madras was renamed as Tamil Nadu, so it belongs to Tamil Nadu.
Kind of convoluted logic.

Mysore was never part of Madras Presidency..It was a separate State

Fight over GI (Geographical Indication) tag for Rosogolla

It (Rosogolla) is so good, in fact, that two neighboring states in East India fought over where the dessert came from - West Bengal or Odisha. Last year, Odisha (formerly known as Orissa) applied for a geographical indication, or a GI tag, to have ownership rights over rosogolla. But Saha's home state of West Bengal, also called Bengal, won out.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/11/19/565153447/the-importance-of-rosogolla?

Rosogolla is supposedly not Indian in origin.

https://recipes.timesofindia.com/ar...ian-origin-but-arent/articleshow/48392920.cms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back