• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Srardam mantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sir,

Its nice to see the 'shraddha' (faith) in your father's Shraddham. To answer your question, it looks its not a straight forward answer, though the question is very straight. So, let me try to split your question and answer.

Is there any mantra difference in Iyengar shrardham?

As such, there will not be any changes to the 'rik's or mantras with respect to the rituals.
This is because, we follow certain sutra and this sutra is common whether it is for iyers or iyengars. Example, if you to a particular sutra, say, apstamba, then it doesn't matter if you are iyer or iyengar, but all will follow the same sutrakara's injunction or 'prayoga vidhi' for all their rituals. So, all it matters is, what vedam are you and especially what sutra you belong to, because same vedam has different sutrakaras like bodayana also belongs to the same krishna yajur veda as with apastambar.

(These rishis, apastambar and bodayana, are called sutrakaras as they deviced the rituals and procedures in a structured manner for us to follow. So, as a reverence and to mention the rishi parampara, we include their name in our daily abhivadaye namaskaram.)

Where could i find the mantras?

Honestly, this is the though question. Except for 'Apastamba' sutram, i have not found much resource for any other sutram. So, assuming that you also belong to the sutra, i will go on to answer.

1) Apastamba paarvana shraaddha prayogam ,
* Author - Srivatsa. ve. somadeva sharma.
* Mantras in Tamil and sanskrit (devanagari lipi)
* (unfortunately without intonation)
* Explanation in tamil.
Where to get - in giri traders (or) in sri surabhi publications, west manbalam.
Rs.100.
* Very informative and authoritative author.

2) 1) Apastamba shraaddha prayogam ,
* Author - kadalangudi natesa shastri
* Mantras in Tamil and sanskrit (devanagari lipi)
* (unfortunately without intonation)
* Explanation in tamil.
Where to get - in giri traders (or) in kadalangudi publications, T.nagar.
*Rs.110.

1) Apastamba shraaddha prayogam ,

* Mantras in grantha lipi
* (Fortunately with intonation)
Where to get - in giri traders (or) sri govinda dikshitar punya smarana samiti, kumbakonam.
Rs.150.

Hope this will help you to get an idea . May for other also who are looking for similar info.

Sarvam Krishnaarpanam.
Venkat.

sir, for iyer aapasthamba suthram- yajur vedam mantras for sraatham is there in general slokas amd mantras page-2. in two threads.kindly go through them.

Thank you Venkat for the thorough answer.

Yes I didn't expect this would be an easy question but am trying to make progress with my limited knowledge of the rites. Honestly all I have is the faith my father instilled in me, in that though I can read devanagiri, I comprehend little.

Every year I try a little more but wish I could make more headway by learning what I can. I am Sama Vedam and Bharadwaja gothram but am not clear what sutra we follow, but I will inquire.

I love Giri Trading and always go to the one in Mylapur when I'm in Chennai but as I live in the U.S. am going to have to rely on online resources mostly.

Regards,
T.

Thanks but I don't see any specific texts on the site for srardam. As their search facilities are non-existent I've been scrolling through the pages. Will keep looking.

Regards,
T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back