• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Did you know aggarbatti smoke could be as dangerous as cigarette smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us limit the use of Aggarbatti in the Puja Room!!

Did you know aggarbatti smoke could be as dangerous as cigarette smoke?

Scientists have discovered that aggarbatti smoke can cause genetic changes leading to cancer.

Lipi Upadhyay
New Delhi, October 25, 2017

No Indian puja is ever complete without ringing of bells and showing agarbattis (incense sticks) to the deities.
Millions of Hindus, Buddhists and Christians use these to purify and freshen the air, and as an essential part of their holy ceremonies.
But there is a reason you should think twice before lighting another incense stick, especially if you take pride in being a non-smoker. According to a number of studies, you might be inhaling something more dangerous than the cigarette smoke itself.
We know what you're thinking: What danger could the harmless looking, traditional incense-stick can cause?

Well, according to some scientists in China, you might be putting yourself and your loved ones at the risk of cancer, by inhaling aggarbatti fumes.

The study conducted by the scientists in South China University of Technology--on two of the most common types of incense-sticks, agarwood and sandalwood--revealed that this everyday ritual of using agarbattis causes much more harm than good to your health.
According to The Quint, researchers found that incense-smoke was mutagenic (causes DNA changes at cell level), genotoxic (causes genetic changes leading to cancer) and cytotoxic (so toxic that it kills your cells).
In other words, incense fumes pose a higher risk of cancer than cigarette smoke.
Another study in the Journal of the American Cancer Society said that the long-term exposure to agarbatti fumes put you at an increased risk of upper respiratory tract cancer, The Health Site reported.

If this wasn't enough, fumes of agarbatti contains hazardous particulates and volatiles that pose grave health risks.
The pollutants released from these fumes cause inflammation of the bronchial tubes, which pass air to the lungs. This may result in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma.

Also, high concentration of these hazardous fumes is also known to trigger neurological problems including migraines, headaches and forgetfulness.

What should you do? 1. It is of utmost importance that one does not light incense-sticks or dhoops at all, when kids are around, as smoke from any source has a harmful effect on the lungs.
2. One should only burn agarbattis when absolutely essential, and that too in an area which has proper ventilation.
3. Patients with respiratory problems should steer clear of incense sticks.
So, the next time you light incense sticks to please the almighty, do keep in mind that they generate severe indoor air pollution including carbon monoxide, which can cause serious health issues.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...-stick-dangerous-health-lifest/1/1075487.html

I agree with you.

My daughter is allergic to the agarbatti smoke.

But it is our culture. and all that.

I am not traditionalist. I do mot use agarbatti.

Last edited:
I agree with you.

My daughter is allergic to the agarbatti smoke.

But it is our culture. and all that.

True...and these days many use commercial dhoop(sambraani) and it causes asthma in those prone to asthma.

I know a person whose both children have asthma and use inhalers daily yet he refuses to stop using agarbatti and dhoop at home cos he says its tradition.

BTW agarbatti is very mild compared to Chinese Jossticks.

Really huge ones with much more smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back