• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why should we not have 'masoor' dal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

A lot of Hindu beliefs are associated with food. According to the scriptures, there are certain items that we should avoid. The yogis should consume only 'satvik bhojan'. It is believed that satvik bhojan helps them get focussed and meditate better.

Even common man should take 'satvik bhojan; instead of 'tamsik bhojan'. 'Satvik' food is simple and is easily digestible. It is basic and is cooked using minimal heat. It does not involve extensive processing, and is hence usually closest to the way the food item exists in its natural form. 'Satvik' food is usually eaten fresh and immediately after it is prepared.

Unnatural, overcooked, stale, and processed food makes for a 'Tamasik' diet. Thus refined food - be it cereals, oils or hydrogenated butter, stimulants and beverages like tea, coffee and soft drinks, fast and ready-to-cook (precooked and warmed) food items like burgers, pizzas, pastries, and chocolates, as well as intoxicants like tobacco and alcohol are 'tamasik'.

Masoor dal is considered 'tamsik bhojan' like onions and garlic. It is only offered only to Goddess Kali. It is believed that masoor dal ins associated with kamdhenu's blood. According to Hindu mythology, she is a miraculous cow who provides her owner whatever he desires.
According to a story, Kamdhenu was with Rishi Jamadagni. Once, Sahastrarjun tried to steal Kamdhenu and attacked her with arrows. It is believed that mansoor plant grew wherever Kamdhenu's blood fell.

Hence, according to Hindu scriptures, consuming masoor dal is considered bad.

http://daily.bhaskar.com/news/JM-why-should-we-not-have-masoor-dal-2287542.html

Growing up My mother will say that Masoor Dal is for Muslims, and that has stigmatized it for me.

I could not find any other link.

Prasad ji..

Let me explain why Masoor dal is "stigmatized".
I studied this.

Actually the problem is not Masoor dhal but its look alike known as Kesari dhal.

Keshari dhal known as Lathyrus Sativus is neurotoxic and causes Lathyrism where it causes paralysis of lower limbs.

Masoor dhal is NOT neurotoxic BUT it looks similar to Kesari dhal and at times even Kesari dhal is mixed with Masoor dhal and sold.

Becos of this to avoid risk of a mix up Masoor dhall too is avoided..just like some mushrooms are fatally toxic and some are not but to be safe its advised not to eat mushrooms.

So we humans to enforce all these rules and regulations stigmatize food too and give it caste and religion calling it sattva..fatwa and so on.

Believe me I do not believe food affects the mind anymore..i have met compulsive meat eaters who have high morals and also met pure vegetarians from birth who have very dangerous mindsets..so its hard to say if Sattva food produces Sattva individuals.

Last edited:
The red lentils also called பயறு in Tamil are having several benefits..Pl see below

[h=1]16 Benefits of Masoor Dal for Health and Skin[/h]As seen in the nutritional table of the Masoor Dal, these lentils are loaded with essential proteins, fiber, iron and other vital nutrients including amino acids isoleucine and lysine. These are also good sources of potassium, iron, dietary fiber, Folate, 0 fat, vitamin B1, vitamin A, vitamin K, and several others that can help you be at the pinnacle of health.

https://www.beautystylr.com/benefits-of-masoor-dal-for-health-and-skin/

Prasad ji..

Let me explain why Masoor dal is "stigmatized".
I studied this.

Actually the problem is not Masoor dhal but its look alike known as Kesari dhal.

Keshari dhal known as Lathyrus Sativus is neurotoxic and causes Lathyrism where it causes paralysis of lower limbs.

Masoor dhal is NOT neurotoxic BUT it looks similar to Kesari dhal and at times even Kesari dhal is mixed with Masoor dhal and sold.

Becos of this to avoid risk of a mix up Masoor dhall too is avoided..just like some mushrooms are fatally toxic and some are not but to be safe its advised not to eat mushrooms.

So we humans to enforce all these rules and regulations stigmatize food too and give it caste and religion calling it sattva..fatwa and so on.

Believe me I do not believe food affects the mind anymore..i have met compulsive meat eaters who have high morals and also met pure vegetarians from birth who have very dangerous mindsets..so its hard to say if Sattva food produces Sattva individuals.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back