• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sanskrit Grammarian Panini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

Sanskrit Grammarian Panini.

Many of us will be surprised if we know the famous grammarian Panini was born in a place called Śalāturiya, which means "man from Salatura". This means Pāṇini lived in Salatura of ancient Gandhara, which was near Lahor (or Chota Lahore), a town at the junction of the Indus and Kabul Rivers, in
the present day in Charsadda, Pakistan, located in Peshawar valley in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province (formerly NWFP). Shalatula, is a town near to modern day Attock on the Indus river, another account says his birth place at Pushkalavati, Gandhara, also in the modern-day Charsadda of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in Pakistan.
It is cconsidered Panini is the forerunner to the modern formal language theory used in computer languages. Concepts which are fundamental to today's theoretical computer science surprisingly have their origin with Panini. Some scholars say "His sophisticated logical rules and technique have been widely influential in ancient and modern linguistics.”
Though Panini's work "The Ashtadhyayi" was not the first book on Sanskrit grammar, it was improved upon by Panini. The Ashtadhyayi became the foundation of Sanskrit grammar . Panini simplified the rules when the Sanskrit grammar was hard to follow. He also used other references so that need of going for further references was avoided.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
(Based on information collected from various internet sources)

hi

panini's language coding very useful modern day computer languages....well structured system....one of the best gems of sanskrit...

like kalidasa.....i studied panini 's astadyayi in my M A in sanskrit course....very hard ....panini's grammar is well apreciated by

western/german scholars....sanskrit grammar classes are very hard for many sasnkrit learners.....

Dear Sri Tbs,
I am glad to know you have pursued study of Sanskrit in MA. Though I am a student of Sanskrit upto my Degree class, I did not take it seriously.
Well, here is an interesting piece of information I found in the book "The Argumentative Indian" written by Nobel Laureate Dr. Amartya Sen, who suggests Grammarian Panini was of Afghan origin. I give below the relevant portion from his book.

"Despite its quintessential "Indianness" there is a general understanding that, in an early form, Sanskrit came to India from abroad in the second millennium BCE, with
the migration of Indo-Europeans, and then it developed further and
flourished magnificently in India. It is also interesting to note that the
greatest grammarian in Sanskrit (indeed possibly in any language),
namely Panini, who systematized and transformed Sanskrit grammar and phonetics around the fourth century BCE, was of Afghan origin (he describes his village on the banks of the river Kabul). These foreign connections have not diminished the pride of classically minded Indians in that great language, nor in the exceptional achievements of the literature, culture and science that found its expression in Sanskrit"

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear Sri Tbs,
I am glad to know you have pursued study of Sanskrit in MA. Though I am a student of Sanskrit upto my Degree class, I did not take it seriously.
Well, here is an interesting piece of information I found in the book "The Argumentative Indian" written by Nobel Laureate Dr. Amartya Sen, who suggests Grammarian Panini was of Afghan origin. I give below the relevant portion from his book.

"Despite its quintessential "Indianness" there is a general understanding that, in an early form, Sanskrit came to India from abroad in the second millennium BCE, with
the migration of Indo-Europeans, and then it developed further and
flourished magnificently in India. It is also interesting to note that the
greatest grammarian in Sanskrit (indeed possibly in any language),
namely Panini, who systematized and transformed Sanskrit grammar and phonetics around the fourth century BCE, was of Afghan origin (he describes his village on the banks of the river Kabul). These foreign connections have not diminished the pride of classically minded Indians in that great language, nor in the exceptional achievements of the literature, culture and science that found its expression in Sanskrit"

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
hi

in olden afghanistan was part of indian history.....sakuni and kandhari also belong to modern khandahar of afghanistan...

many sanskrit scholars were from kashmirpandits/pakistan/afghanistan in bank of indus river...

Valmiki wrote in Sanskrit in Tretayuga itself..so why is it still believed Sanskrit was brought into India only in the 2nd Millenia BCE?

hi

in olden afghanistan was part of indian history.....sakuni and kandhari also belong to modern khandahar of afghanistan...

many sanskrit scholars were from kashmirpandits/pakistan/afghanistan in bank of indus river...

Exactly...just like Telangana didnt exist till recently!
All divisions came in much later.

Whatever said and done with all this so called indo european migration bringing in Sanskrit to India..till today origins of a Sanskrit speaking race and region anywhere else can not be found.

It might be just reverse migration theory..that is Indus valley civilization had extensive borders and migration of humans from this region to other parts of the world happened which brought the grammar along which shaped the present day Indo European languages.

Somehow Indian researchers love to believe everything good about India like Sanskrit and Religion is from outside of India

Name me another country which feels proud to say no no its not originally from here?
Nope..all will even claim what is not theirs to be theirs.

For eg Algorithm is named after Al Khawrizmi a Persian muslim who translated Indian mathematical text ( he admitted in his works he learnt from India)..but when his work reached europe and translated into Latin..the part where he wrote about India was left out by Europeans and all credit went to Middle East and they claim Algorithm is theirs now.

But we Indians love to admit India gained everything from some migration.

If so..locate the race and region from God knows where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back