• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Lighting lamps using lighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very easy to light one 'agal viLakku' (with one match stick) and use that lamp to light all other lamps. :)

Why should we seek the help of a lighter? :noidea:

Source: Google images

ghee-agalvilakku-500x500.png

This can light any number of lamps.

Vanakkam,

Thank you RR ji for the input. Lately I am seeing the practice of lighting lamps with lighter, so it appeared unusual to me. Yes, that is a good idea to light one lamp first and then lit others with it. Thank you.

Vanakkam,

I would like to know, if there are any objections shastra-wise regarding lighting ghee lamps in temple with lighters? Thank you.

We did not have electricity is shastras, would you give up electricity?
There in no mention of Cars, would you walk instead?

Convenience is the key word. You can not turn the clock back and go back to stone age.

Sastras tell you to be smart, not foolish. It might sound harsh, but a little bit of enlightenment is required.

Last edited:
We cook Naivedhyam with Gas stove these days.

I dont think there should be any problem cos no matter from which source fire comes ..its Dharma is to burn.

After all I can also ask..is using matches allowed in Shastras?

......... Convenience is the key word. You can not turn the clock back and go back to stone age. .....
You are correct, Prasad Sir! But lighting a ghee lamp in a temple, using a lighter, seems to me ultra-modern!! :D

Is it so difficult to use a match box in a temple? :noidea:

Namaskarams,

There is nothing unusual in lighting a lamp with a lighter. I was told by some learned person that to light a lamp one should not use another lamp directly. Lamps can be lit with match sticks, lighter or cotton wigs.

Anbuden
Adiyen

Ideally we should use flint stones only. ..
Come on, Biswa Sir!

In flint stone age, there were no temples in which people lighted ghee lamps!! :D

I guess this lighter ( my son gave me one but I did NOT use it!! ) will be convenient! Let us be 'modern'!! :thumb:

BBQ_kitchen_lighter_flame_gun_fire_stick_corn_lighter_634758993277738513_1.jpg
/
Picture courtesy: Google images

The hand spun fire drill, the oldest method, accomplishes this through hand pressure against the drill while bearing down with the weight of the body while continuing to spin the drill as fast as possible. With practice, a strong, fairly heavy, well conditioned person can get an ember in a few seconds of hard work, under ideal conditions. Smaller or less experienced people can make fire through cooperative efforts and persistence. Mechanical advantages can be achieved through the use of a cap piece which is used to push down on the drill. To keep the drill spinning with one hand, a bowstring is wrapped around the drill and moved back and forth, spinning the drill. Another variant involves using toggles (and normally a second person) to spin the drill. These methods probably evolved where conditions made fire making difficult.

http://www.primitiveways.com/fire.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back