• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Am I breaking away from tradition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today happens to be my 75th birthday and as usual, I ought to have got ready early in the morning , finished my morning chores fast and take out the new sari, which is a must for every birthday, rush to the temple, do preliminary arrangements for the birthday party and then.... I paused!
Something inside me rebelled . I was not really feeling so thrilled or in a celebratory mood. I realized that I was not the same person that I was even until last year. I seem to be losing interest in the sentimental and trivial actions gradually. And that is not okay to feel detached either. So long as we are living on the earth, we should keep ourselves in harmony with Nature, with the world around us and with Life itself.
So I took a grip of myself, sat down and wrote a cheque for a considerable sum towards the celebration of Deepavali in an Orphanage, prepared rava kesari on a large scale and sent it through my domestic helper to be distributed amongst her neighbors. And then I realized that I got the same joy and satisfaction, in fact double that, than that of holding a birthday party with cake cutting etc... ! No temple visit, no archanai , no party and yet I got the same mental, emotional and spiritual happiness today !
How do you explain that ?
Vasant.

Very good doing. Very rare in these days people do such type of things.:pray2:

In young age, wearing a new dress, visit to a temple, throwing a party, getting appreciation from friends for the

new dress etc seem to give happiness. But as we grow old and see other people's sufferings, the idea about deriving
happiness changes slowly. We wish to derive happiness by helping others and making them happy! :grouphug:

Today happens to be my 75th birthday and as usual, I ought to have got ready early in the morning , finished my morning chores fast and take out the new sari, which is a must for every birthday, rush to the temple, do preliminary arrangements for the birthday party and then.... I paused!
Something inside me rebelled . I was not really feeling so thrilled or in a celebratory mood. I realized that I was not the same person that I was even until last year. I seem to be losing interest in the sentimental and trivial actions gradually. And that is not okay to feel detached either. So long as we are living on the earth, we should keep ourselves in harmony with Nature, with the world around us and with Life itself.
So I took a grip of myself, sat down and wrote a cheque for a considerable sum towards the celebration of Deepavali in an Orphanage, prepared rava kesari on a large scale and sent it through my domestic helper to be distributed amongst her neighbors. And then I realized that I got the same joy and satisfaction, in fact double that, than that of holding a birthday party with cake cutting etc... ! No temple visit, no archanai , no party and yet I got the same mental, emotional and spiritual happiness today !
Vasant.

When you are in the arrival lounge you are very busy collecting baggages, fully occupied with thoughts of things that are to be done, people to be met and about home sweet home.

When you are in the departure lounge, it is a lonely wait. You have only your thoughts for company and yes.............. you just wait.

Vasant.

Happy Bday to you!

Dear Vasant ji...you did so much still!

I have never been to a temple on my birthday or even do any act of charity on my bday.

I have not celebrated my bday for donkey years and I am 28 yrs younger than you.

I feel as we age we attach less importance for many things.

But I have not been exposed to going to temple on bday cos i see most people are always seeking blessing for personal reasons.

Even on wedding anniversaries people go to temple..something again I dont believe in.

So if you ask me..I feel you already a lot for your bday.

Why are you thinking you are breaking away from tradition?
I have not done even that much in my life.

Also..why wait till bday to do an act of charity?

I usually do any act of charity in random unspecific days so that there is no underlying reason.

Doing act of charity on bdays or special days..subconsciously we could be seeking or hoping some form of blessing..then it doesnt jive with what Geeta says...Karmanyevadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu
Kadacana..we are only entitled to action but not to the fruits of it.

Doing charity on non specific days reduces the risk of seeking punyam.

Anyway Happy Bday Again ..May you be blessed with a long healthy life and look more beautiful and youthful with every breath you take.

Last edited:
A wise Chinese Proverb says: 'A little bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses'.

Renukaji , you said it ! You have simply and clearly stated the root of the matter ! No need for your birthday to do good deeds ! Wow ! You hit the nail on its head. Thank you.

When you are in the arrival lounge you are very busy collecting baggages, fully occupied with thoughts of things that are to be done, people to be met and about home sweet home.

When you are in the departure lounge, it is a lonely wait. You have only your thoughts for company and yes.............. you just wait.
hi

very nice explanation.....aptly said....i feel every time ...when i come to chennai from USA....just returning from chennai to USA...

LIFE IS LIKE THIS...

Vasant Madam,

Going to temple, doing charity are not mutually exclusive...Both can happen....You would get double the joy...You can try this next time...

.... Going to temple, doing charity are not mutually exclusive...Both can happen....You would get double the joy...You can try this next time...
''Ye sahi hai''! :thumb:

P.S:This is a famous phrase on ads. now a days.

Going to temple used to be fun, then it was religious, now it is a chore.

We had very bad experience in Padnabhaswami Temple, it has turned me away completely from going to any famous temples.
I would rather go the temple in my town.

Doing something just because of "your tradition" is completely useless. "Others tradition" is even worse.

Doing Charity is paying back to society.

Going to temple used to be fun, then it was religious, now it is a chore.

We had very bad experience in Padnabhaswami Temple, it has turned me away completely from going to any famous temples.
I would rather go the temple in my town.

Doing something just because of "your tradition" is completely useless. "Others tradition" is even worse.

Doing Charity is paying back to society.

The big temples are there for all and sundry to make money from devotees.

Prasadji, its completely true, yes you nailed it. reg. traditions,
I have two doubts 1, in sun tv they show abhishegams to Gods invariably draped. is it because
in the drawing halls is it obscene? in temples it is not so
2, this sindhoor on foreheads for the married ladies is not tamil tradion. may be tv culture. I have
seen Bengalis and Bihries wearing

Namaskarams,
Dear Naithruji
It is not only in Sun TV, if you see any other TV, the abhishekams are always like that.
The sindhoor tradition is not only in Tamil Nadu it is Hindu tradition.

anbuden
adiyen

Interesting thread. I am tempted to join the discussion.

The word tradition is derived from Latin word trādere — “to hand down (to posterity)".

Mostly traditions are evolved by beliefs or customs within a group or clan started for a reason at a particular time. It is more of unwritten law, passed on generation to generation by word of mouth. Some of our traditions are different from family to family within the same caste itself. To quote, some of the Pujas and Vrithams are performed by some families only.

Marriage functions are the best example for change in traditions. It differs caste to caste, and region to region basing on the traditions.

Regarding traditions followed in Temples, they are defined well in Agamas and Tantric scriptures followed by the Temples. However dress codes in temples are outside the scriptures, purely based on local traditions.

Interestingly the Uniforms for members Royalty, Defence Services, Religious functionary and Judiciary etc also follow traditions, some times codified for disciplining the members.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Namaskarams,
Dear Naithruji
It is not only in Sun TV, if you see any other TV, the abhishekams are always like that.
The sindhoor tradition is not only in Tamil Nadu it is Hindu tradition.

anbuden
adiyen
thanks for the reply
1. in tvs ok, I said so, may be tv traditions, but in temples also? do they cover the idols for abhishegam
2. sindoor tradition in tamilnadu, i am surprised, may be a fashion after tv folks. i am yet to see a tamil book, can you cite an example please

I am attaching an old ananda vikatan old issue, do tamilians have sindoor?
C8KXAMXUIAE7gxO.jpg

Namaskarams,

I am afraid are you not confusing between sindhoor and kumkum. In hindu tradition, the male member should invariably wear either vibhoothi or chanden or thiruman on his forehead and the lady member, even the children, should wear kumkum on their forehead. It has been prescribed in the hindu dharmasastra. There is no necessity for any books to be referred.

Anbuden
Adiyen

Namaskarams,

I am afraid are you not confusing between sindhoor and kumkum. In hindu tradition, the male member should invariably wear either vibhoothi or chanden or thiruman on his forehead and the lady member, even the children, should wear kumkum on their forehead. It has been prescribed in the hindu dharmasastra. There is no necessity for any books to be referred.

Anbuden
Adiyen

Dear sir,
I am not at all referring to kumkum or Bindhi or Tilak. I am only referring to sindhoor which is applied where vahidu starts.
All I am saying only north indians esp Bengalis and Biharis wear this to denote married ladies in lieu of mangal suthra(thali)
this being prevalent now a days more of fashion than traditions, I hope I made lt clear.
In the image I have attached to my post, the lady wears kumkum but not sindhoor.
ms

.........I have two doubts
1. in sun tv they show abhishegams to Gods invariably draped. is it because
in the drawing halls is it obscene? in temples it is not so
2, this sindhoor on foreheads for the married ladies is not tamil tradion. may be tv culture. I have
seen Bengalis and Bihries wearing
1. God's idol should be draped with a vastram when the abhishEkam is done.

But, in some temples, the poojAris are lazy - One example is the one in our colony temple!

2. Sumangalis in South India keep a dot of sindhoor in 'vagidu' where as, in North India sindhoor is poured

all along the 'vagidu'! Here are pictures from Google images.

images
in-the-forever-tilak-tikka-and-then-theres-the-deadly-sindoor.img

But, in some temples, the poojAris are lazy - One example is the one in our colony temple!

2. Sumangalis in South India keep a dot of sindhoor in 'vagidu' where as, in North India sindhoor is poured

images
dear raji madam agreed if you say so, i had a doubt so i asked
as i have not seen this sindhoor wearing in 60s to 90s. but now it is widely practised
in chennai by all

images

Rajiji as usual very elaborate with the explanation. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thank you Prasad Sir. :)

My observations about kunkumam and sindhoor are these:

1. Kumkumam is easier to wash than sindhoor. :cool:

2. Madurai thAzham poo kunkumam has an exotic fragrance. :thumb:

3. Some people are allergic to turmeric and hence to kunkumam because its basic ingredient is turmeric.

4. If kunkumam is kept continuously at the start of the vagidu, it make the hair in that area thinner! :shocked:

5. In summer, we sweat a lot. So, kunkumam / sindhoor will mix with sweat and slide down towards the nose (gravity!!). :D

Taking all these into account, my style is this!

i) Wear a maroon / deep red sticker bindi and draw a dark pink line above that, with Eyetex liquid kunkumam.
ii) At the start of the vagidu, smear dark pink lip liner, which appears like sindhoor. :peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back