Am I breaking away from tradition? - Page 3
Tamil Brahmins
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by B V RAAGHAVAN View Post
    Namaskarams,

I am afraid are you not confusing between sindhoor and kumkum. In hindu tradition, the male member should invariably wear either vibhoothi or chanden or thiruman on his forehead and the lady member, even the children, should wear kumkum on their forehead. It has been prescribed in the hindu dharmasastra. There is no necessity for any books to be referred.

Anbuden
    Adiyen
    Dear sir,
    I am not at all referring to kumkum or Bindhi or Tilak. I am only referring to sindhoor which is applied where vahidu starts.
    All I am saying only north indians esp Bengalis and Biharis wear this to denote married ladies in lieu of mangal suthra(thali)
    this being prevalent now a days more of fashion than traditions, I hope I made lt clear.
    In the image I have attached to my post, the lady wears kumkum but not sindhoor.
    ms
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by naithru View Post
    .........I have two doubts
    1. in sun tv they show abhishegams to Gods invariably draped. is it because
    in the drawing halls is it obscene? in temples it is not so
    2, this sindhoor on foreheads for the married ladies is not tamil tradion. may be tv culture. I have
    seen Bengalis and Bihries wearing
    1. God's idol should be draped with a vastram when the abhishEkam is done.

But, in some temples, the poojAris are lazy - One example is the one in our colony temple!

2. Sumangalis in South India keep a dot of sindhoor in 'vagidu' where as, in North India sindhoor is poured

all along the 'vagidu'! Here are pictures from Google images.

3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raji Ram View Post

But, in some temples, the poojAris are lazy - One example is the one in our colony temple!

2. Sumangalis in South India keep a dot of sindhoor in 'vagidu' where as, in North India sindhoor is poured

dear raji madam agreed if you say so, i had a doubt so i asked
    as i have not seen this sindhoor wearing in 60s to 90s. but now it is widely practised
    in chennai by all
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!

Rajiji as usual very elaborate with the explanation.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Prasad Sir.

My observations about kunkumam and sindhoor are these:

1. Kumkumam is easier to wash than sindhoor.

2. Madurai thAzham poo kunkumam has an exotic fragrance.

3. Some people are allergic to turmeric and hence to kunkumam because its basic ingredient is turmeric.

4. If kunkumam is kept continuously at the start of the vagidu, it make the hair in that area thinner!

5. In summer, we sweat a lot. So, kunkumam / sindhoor will mix with sweat and slide down towards the nose (gravity!!).

Taking all these into account, my style is this!

i) Wear a maroon / deep red sticker bindi and draw a dark pink line above that, with Eyetex liquid kunkumam.
    ii) At the start of the vagidu, smear dark pink lip liner, which appears like sindhoor.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    I note that RRji has used the politically incorrect term "sumangali".
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by biswa View Post
    I note that RRji has used the politically incorrect term "sumangali".
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Prasad Sir.

My observations about kunkumam and sindhoor are these:

1. Kumkumam is easier to wash than sindhoor.

2. Madurai thAzham poo kunkumam has an exotic fragrance.

3. Some people are allergic to turmeric and hence to kunkumam because its basic ingredient is turmeric.

4. If kunkumam is kept continuously at the start of the vagidu, it make the hair in that area thinner!

5. In summer, we sweat a lot. So, kunkumam / sindhoor will mix with sweat and slide down towards the nose (gravity!!).

Taking all these into account, my style is this!

i) Wear a maroon / deep red sticker bindi and draw a dark pink line above that, with Eyetex liquid kunkumam.
    ii) At the start of the vagidu, smear dark pink lip liner, which appears like sindhoor.
    Situation song can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kbd1EHBFLs

Giving someone a piece of your soul is better than giving a piece of your heart. Because souls are eternal. --Helen Boswell
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    To day குங்கும பாெட்டு is more than
    "மங்களம்" sentiments ! It is political statment even for Rahul! Fashion statement for Usha udup - trade mark for Kunakkudi -Cause for Dermatitis for many!

17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!

Namaskarams
    Please observe the sindhoor at the vahidu. MS Amma at the young age. It is not the recent trend. It is a traditional one.

Anbuden
    Adiyen
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123