• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Taj Mahal insignificant??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GANESH65

Taj Mahal dropped from UP tourism booklet? Here's why the controversy erupted

The Taj Mahal, one of the seven wonders of the world does not excite the imagination of Yogi Adityanath's administration

1445948961-4806.jpg

Mark Zuckerberg at Taj Mahal in Agra.

The Taj Mahal may be one of the ‘seven wonders of the world,’ attracting millions of tourists each year, but it has failed to feature in Uttar Pradesh’s latest tourism booklet.

The 32-page booklet, which has the famed Ganga aarti as its cover image, has been printed to promote the tourist spots in Uttar Pradesh, but surprisingly the most prominent and popular one is missing.

Titled Apaar Sambhavnaye or ‘Boundless Possibilities’, the brochure released by the Uttar Pradesh Tourism Department displays most of the other cultural and heritage sites in the State, particularly those associated with the Hindu religious tourism. Earlier, it was also reported that the BJP Government in the state had not included Taj Mahal as part of Uttar Pradesh's "cultural heritage".

Taj Mahal irrelevant to Indian culture - UP CM

Yogi Adityanath, earlier this year, said that Taj Mahal and other minarets - monuments made during the medieval and Mughal era - were not reflective of Indian culture.

Last month, Uttar Pradesh deputy chief minister made the controversial statement that Mughals were "plunderers" and not "our ancestors" as depicted in Indian history.

He also called Shah Jahan "barbaric" for amputating the hands of the artisans who constructing the Taj Mahal."The Taj Mahal is an outstanding monument depicting Indian craftsmanship but Shahjahan amputated the hands of artisans who made the Taj. This is not Indian culture and shows he was barbaric.

The deputy chief minister's remarks come about three months after his boss, Uttar Pradesh chief minister
Significance of the Taj Mahal
* The Taj Mahal is one of the seven wonders of the world

* It is tourism magnet for celebrities including Princess Diana, who famously posed outside it alone, telegraphing her disintegrating marriage.

* A visit to the Taj Mahal, built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in 1630s, is a must for foreign tourists, looking to explore Indian culture and heritage spots.

* It has been named a "World Heritage site" by Unesco.

* It is among the 10 iconic spots of Indian heritage and Indian culture, to be cleaned up under Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Clean India mission.
What the brochure does have

The brochure has a picture of the Ganga Aarti in Varanasi on its cover featuring Adityanath and Rita Bahuguna Joshi, while its inside pages cover most of the cultural and religious sites of tourism and circuits like the Ramayana, Budhha, Krishna, Bundelkhand, Vindhya and Awadh.

The brochure highlights the religious and cultural significance of Varanasi and its ghats, the coming Ardh Kumbh Mela in Allahabad, while promoting Ayodhya as the birthplace of Lord Ram and Mathura-Vrindavan for its connection with Lord Krishna.

It also presents the Gorakhpeeth in Gorakhpur, of which the Chief Minister himself is the head priest, as a tourist destination, along with the Devipatan Shakti Peeth.

UP government denies reports

Uttar Pradesh Tourism Minister Rita Bahuguna Joshi on Monday rejected reports of Taj Mahal's exclusion from the state government's new tourism booklet.

"You are wrong. You can clearly see and we also have the records that work worth Rs 1.75 crore has been started and almost completed. Don't make this a controversy," Rita told ANI.

She further stated that Taj Mahal has been the legacy of Uttar Pradesh and hence claiming that the government is ignoring it, is wrong.

The Uttar Pradesh government has proposed a slew of tourism projects worth Rs 370 crore, around half of which is meant for the Taj Mahal and its surrounding areas, said an official release said on Monday.

"Tourism projects worth Rs 370 crore are proposed, under which schemes worth Rs 156 crore are meant for the Taj Mahal and its surrounding areas in Agra," the release read.

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...y-the-controversy-erupted-117100300250_1.html

I think we are trying to rewrite Indian History. Muslim names and monuments are side story. Just a joke LOL.

History is the record of past events. No one can change it. Taj Mahal is a historical monument, most beautiful awe inspiring structure. Whether it is published in a tourist brochure or not, its "a thing of beauty and joy for ever". Taj Mahal is an architectural Marvel, just as Pyramids of Giza in Egypt and Angkor wat in Cambodia. It exhibits the human excellence.
We cannot change history.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Sounds very strange!. Last year, there was a golbal voting took place to re-define the 7 wonders of world, and I think Taj secured the top position because of voting from all over the world.

Sounds very strange!. Last year, there was a golbal voting took place to re-define the 7 wonders of world, and I think Taj secured the top position because of voting from all over the world.

By any account Taj Mahal is a beautiful creation of human mind. When I first saw this Mausoleum, I questioned in my mind 'how could any one plan such a magnificent' edifice for his beloved wife ? It is superlative in any account of aesthetics.

Lord declares in Githa (Ch10.41)

Know that all beautiful, glorious, and mighty creations spring from but a spark of My splendor.

How true it is....

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

I am just thinking aloud here.

Let us just say that an architectural marvel is created by "x" king of the medieval times to torture people and to display their plight. It may be a beautiful structure but would that structure still represent India?

Would the guillotine represent the french?
Would the concentration camps represent the germans?

It is a tourist spot alright, but can it be a symbol of India? We are romanticised by its story rather than its cruelty.

It could either be rank ignorance or plain prejudice and I have a hunch I know which it is. The UP government’s attitude to the Taj Mahal is more than negligence. It suggests deliberate disregard. And the chief minister’s belated reassurance – from Kerala of all places – does little to dispel my doubts.

The Taj is unquestionably India’s biggest tourist attraction. It’s renowned as one of the seven Wonders of the World. Tagore called it “a tear drop on the cheek of time”. Unesco considers it a World Heritage Site. Many travel to India just to see it. And a picture by the Taj is what everyone wants.

Yet, when the Yogi Adityanath government presented its first budget it didn’t allocate any cultural heritage funds for the Taj. In June the chief minister said: “The Ramayana and The Geeta represent Indian culture not the Taj Mahal”. He also claimed gifting replicas of the Taj to foreign visitors is “not a part of Indian culture”. Finally, a recently released 32-page glossy brochure, called ‘Uttar Pradesh Paryatan-Apaar Sambhavanaayein’ translated as ‘Uttar Pradesh Tourism – Unlimited Possibilities’, which is intended to promote tourism, ignores the Taj Mahal altogether. Leave aside a photograph, there’s isn’t even a reference to this iconic monument. Yet a whole page has been devoted to the Gorakhnath Temple, of which the Yogi is the head priest.

Alas, the Yogi Adityanath government either doesn’t accept this or, possibly, doesn’t like it. As Rajiv Saxena, the secretary of the Tourism Guild of Agra, says: “The current state government is not supporting Agra as a tourist destination because of its Mughal monuments. Money for tourism development has not been announced. Their focus is on religious tourism.”

This brings me to the concern I started with. Are the Yogi and his government ignoring the Taj because it was built by the Mughal Empire? Is it viewed as a symbol of Muslim conquest? Is their treatment of the Taj revenge for 1,200 years of invasion, conquest and rule?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/columns/why-the-iconic-taj-mahal-is-a-victim-of-prejudice/story-XoWy59Wn6dTrhtYnA9WlIJ.html

This is just our own inhibitions. No story can be said as true or false unless proved. No one can find proof for stories even though it is historical. Even Taj Mahal is not included, all know that place. It is not wrong since there are many good places that we have to see that they can include in tourist map so that others will also get highlighted and visited by foreigners. I am not saying this as an anathema to Taj or any Historical structure or not for its relevance but mainly to know new places for others outside the state and outside the country and outside the continent. The reason told for the minister is very rubbish.

UP Government has reported to have set aside a sum of Rs.156 crore for maintenance of Taj Mahal and its surroundings.

And if the current Government consider's such a wonderful monument as insignificant, why set aside huge tax payers money for its maintenance...??

Men may come and men may go.....

In what many see as damage control by the BJP after a string of controversial remarks by its leaders about the Taj Mahal, Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath on Thursday visited the monument, broom in hand, and took part in a mega cleanliness drive to promote Swachh Bharat Mission.

Adityanath's visit to the 17th century monument is the first by a BJP CM of the state. When the media asked him about his experience at the Taj, where he spent about 30 minutes, the chief minister didn't say a word but smiled and showed a 'thumbs up' sign amid loud chants of 'Bharat Mata ki jai' by his supporters and party workers.

Later, addressing the media at Soor Sarovar Bird Sanctuary, Adityanath was candid in admitting that the cleanliness drive was an attempt to show the "clean intentions" of his government to safeguard the monument and promote tourism. "This should be enough to silence our critics," he said.

At another public meeting at GIC ground, the CM said, "Only casteist forces have a problem with me visiting Agra. People with a divisive agenda are trying to divert the state from the path of development by giving a communal turn to every issue." He did not name anyone while mentioning these "divisive" forces.

"Instead of going into who built the Taj Mahal, we should remember that Indian labourers gave their blood and sweat for its construction. So it is the duty of our government to protect and preserve it," Adityanath said.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/agra/broom-in-hand-yogi-at-taj-says-intentions-clean/articleshow/61251005.cms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back