• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gandhi jayanti 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

mahatma-gandhi-spinning-charkha_650x400_81480496265.jpg
Today is Gandhi jayanti, birthday of Mahatma Gandhi. Let us remember this great soul who spent his entire life for the welfare and freedom of humanity.

Brahmnyan
Bangalore.

Nice. Just returned from cleanliness programme arranged by an NGO group in our area..

Indeed a good gesture to participate in the programme organized to commemorate the Birthday of this great man, who had sacrificed his entire life for the upliftment of down trodden.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Remembering காந்தி கணக்கு.!
Gandhi Kanakku Meaning - காந்தி கணக்கு என்றால் என்ன?
காந்தி கணக்கு என்றாலே கிட்டதட்ட 'நாமம்' என்கிற அர்த்தத்தைதான் நாம் உருவாக்கி வைத்திருக்கிறோம். ஆனால், காந்தி கணக்கு என்றால் என்ன என்பதற்கான உண்மையான அர்த்தம் என்னவென்று பலருக்கும் தெரியாது. அதை இப்போது தெரிந்துகொள்வோம்.
மகாத்மா காந்தி உப்பு சத்தியாகிரகம் மேற்கொண்டிருந்தபோது, அவருக்கு வியாபாரிகள் அத்தனை பேரும் தார்மீக ஆதரவு அளித்தார்கள். அவர்கள் காந்தியிடம் “நேரடியாக எங்களால் இந்தப் போராட்டத்தில் கலந்துகொள்ள முடியாது. ஆனால், எப்படியாவது உங்கள் போராட்டத்திற்கு நாங்கள் ஆதரவு அளிப்போம். இதில் கலந்துகொள்ள வரும் தொண்டர்களை எங்கள் கடைகளில் எது வேண்டுமானாலும் வாங்கிக் கொள்ள சொல்லுங்கள். பணம் தர வேண்டாம். அடையாளம் தெரியாமல் பணம் கேட்க நேரும்போது, 'காந்தி கணக்கு' என்று எங்களுக்கு புரியும்படி சொன்னால் போதும். நாங்கள் அவர்களிடம் பணம் கேட்க மாட்டோம்” என்றார்களாம் அந்த வியாபாரிகள்.
அப்படி வந்ததுதான் காந்தி கணக்கு. ஆனால், நாம் இதற்கு அர்த்தம் வைத்திருப்பதோ புரியாத கணக்கு. ஒவ்வொரு சொல்லிலும் அதன் உள் அர்த்தத்தை புரிந்து செயல்பட்டால் அறிவு விசாலமாகும்

From my in box

Indeed a good gesture to participate in the programme organized to commemorate the Birthday of this great man, who had sacrificed his entire life for the upliftment of down trodden.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Yes, but today's India has forgotten Mahatma Gandhi. They only hate a different Gandhi.

Good post J J ji. But, this confirms that 'Gandhi kaNakku' = 'nAmam'!! :D

Rajaji & Raji

One enacted Gandhi's call!
Another explained his kanakku - Gandhi kaNakku' = 'nAmam'!!

ராஜாஜி நாமம் வாழ்க!
ராஜி காந்தி கணக்கு வாழ்க!

Arunthathi Roy recently called him "Saint of status co" due to his caste prejudices! Mayawati is unhappy for calling Dalit as 'Harijan' and thinks it unconstitutional!
In Ghana University his statue removed - reason he is racist!

Arunthathi Roy recently called him "Saint of status co" due to his caste prejudices! Mayawati is unhappy for calling Dalit as 'Harijan' and thinks it unconstitutional!

Controversies are nothing new to Gandhiji. He has faced many throughout his life. The people of the present generation have no idea about the issues he had faced during his life time. He fought for the freedom of his mother land and respect for the down trodden relentlessly. His methods were unique. Through out his life he never aspired for any position or power, which he would have got easily just for the asking. He was such a great man the present bunch of "leaders" may not have the power to understand him.

As an octogenarian I feel lucky to have lived during his life time.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Controversies are nothing new to Gandhiji. He has faced many throughout his life. The people of the present generation have no idea about the issues he had faced during his life time. He fought for the freedom of his mother land and respect for the down trodden relentlessly. His methods were unique. Through out his life he never aspired for any position or power, which he would have got easily just for the asking. He was such a great man the present bunch of "leaders" may not have the power to understand him.

As an octogenarian I feel lucky to have lived during his life time.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

hi

may be he is great soul......many unsung heroes never recognised....even my paternal grand served in british raj as police officer....

he always like discipline/punctuality like british officers...but my father was gandhi follower...still my curious....why he never

got nobel prize for peace?.....i feel his personal enemity became the tool for independence of india...i personally admired

always with shri subhash chandra bose....i may be wrong...

There is a vast difference between a Hero and a Leader, T B S Sir! :decision:

A hero is worshiped :hail: whereas a Leader is worshiped and followed. :flock:

hi

may be he is great soul......many unsung heroes never recognised....even my paternal grand served in british raj as police officer....

he always like discipline/punctuality like british officers...but my father was gandhi follower...still my curious....why he never

got nobel prize for peace?.....i feel his personal enemity became the tool for independence of india...i personally admired

always with shri subhash chandra bose....i may be wrong...

Yes. Why Gandhiji was never awarded "Nobel Peace Prize" ?
This question has occurred for many times during his life time and as well as after his demise. Here is an excerpt from the website of Nobel prize Committee.

"Gandhi was nominated in 1937, 1938, 1939, 1947 and, finally, a few days before he was murdered in January 1948. The omission has been publicly regretted by later members of the Nobel Committee; when the Dalai Lama was awarded the Peace Prize in 1989, the chairman of the committee said that this was "in part a tribute to the memory of Mahatma Gandhi". However, the committee has never commented on the speculations as to why Gandhi was not awarded the prize, and until recently the sources which might shed some light on the matter were unavailable."
Full report can be read in the following URL of "Nobel prize organization"
https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/themes/peace/gandhi/

Other question is whether he would have accepted the offer, if there was one. The answer is an empathic NO. Gandhiji has never aspired or accepted any honour or encomium during his life time.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Not to mention his unacceptable methods of testing if he could remain celibate that involved very unhealthy practices which in present times could land someone in the same cell as certain ashram gurus.

May be we should just compartmentalize a person..that is no need to call anyone a Mahatma cos everyone has Good..Bad and Ugly in them.

Its fair enough to praise him for starting an Ahimsa Inquilab but it should stop there cos in my opinion some of the other shades of his nature was just like any other common man or even slightly questionable.

So its easier we just see a person tru different lenses so we can focus on what we can accept and reject what we might disagree with.

So far the only person who came with a flawless charecter from every possible angle was Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
So if I really want to call anyone Mahatma its only Him.

I dont mind typing him with a capital H.

There is a vast difference between a Hero and a Leader, T B S Sir! :decision:

A hero is worshiped :hail: whereas a Leader is worshiped and followed. :flock:
Yes Ma'am, Gandhiji was the leader of a great National movement to free the Country from the shackles of foreign rule. Indian National Congress was an umbrella movement accepting all ideologies from right to left. In 1923 Gandhiji introduced a revolutionary concept of nonviolence "Sathyagraha" to fight the mighty British.
The present (Indira) Congress which usurped the name of that mighty organisation has nothing in common with INC of the past. In fact Gandhiji asked to windup the Indian National Congress, the movement after independence.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

No one can deny that Mahatma was a great Hindu. But unfortunately, he viewed ‘Hindu-Muslim’ unity as a sanctified cult and as such failed to see the writing on the wall. He went on giving concessions to the Muslims in the name of ‘unity’ which came to bite him (and Hindus in general) hard in the end. We will see that as early as 1921, Mahatma had set upon the path of ‘Muslim appeasement’ at all costs which did cost India dearly in the end

Some one even called him Moulana of Muslim appeasement!-Not with out reasons - his support for Caliphate and Kilafat - his writings & views on Mappla revolt unlike that of Ambedkar or Annie Besant!

No one can deny that Mahatma was a great Hindu. But unfortunately, he viewed ‘Hindu-Muslim’ unity as a sanctified cult and as such failed to see the writing on the wall. He went on giving concessions to the Muslims in the name of ‘unity’ which came to bite him (and Hindus in general) hard in the end. We will see that as early as 1921, Mahatma had set upon the path of ‘Muslim appeasement’ at all costs which did cost India dearly in the end

Some one even called him Moulana of Muslim appeasement!-Not with out reasons - his support for Caliphate and Kilafat - his writings & views on Mappla revolt unlike that of Ambedkar or Annie Besant!
hi

there are many UNTOLD stories about hindu muslim unity.....if gandhi accept jinnah as the PM OF MODERN INDIA....the story of Nehru

will be different....india will be different....i think some kind of conspiracy theory between nehru and gandhi...nobody

can talk about it....gandhi is good leader...but .....?

Yes Ma'am, Gandhiji was the leader of a great National movement to free the Country from the shackles of foreign rule. Indian National Congress was an umbrella movement accepting all ideologies from right to left. In 1923 Gandhiji introduced a revolutionary concept of nonviolence "Sathyagraha" to fight the mighty British.
The present (Indira) Congress which usurped the name of that mighty organisation has nothing in common with INC of the past. In fact Gandhiji asked to windup the Indian National Congress, the movement after independence.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Sir,
I say this with all sincerity.
You and I are old for modern India and Indians.
In 50 more years Mahatma Gandhi will be a distant memory.
Sadly, there is no room for esteemed leaders. The modern leaders have destroyed the reverence we felt for our leaders.

Sir,
I say this with all sincerity.
You and I are old for modern India and Indians.
In 50 more years Mahatma Gandhi will be a distant memory.
Sadly, there is no room for esteemed leaders. The modern leaders have destroyed the reverence we felt for our leaders.
Dear Sri Prasad,
When I see some of the comments
I fully agree with your prophetic words "sadly there is no room for esteemed leaders". Neither space for elderly in the modern forums.
Regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Gandhi created myth that non-violence was deeply rooted in the Indian psyche:

Why do you say that Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru helped create the myth of ancient India being a non-violent place?

Gandhi was aware of the element of violence in India's past. But by using non-violence as a philosophy and strategy to overthrow the British Empire, he created an impression that non-violence was somehow deeply rooted in the Indian psyche. Our national emblem — the Sarnath lion capital — is connected with Ashoka and the Buddha, men whom Nehru admired greatly. Although Nehru had a deep understanding of Indian history, he did under-estimate the element of conflict and violence. This is not surprising. He saw and emphasised what he wanted to see and emphasise (for instance, religious tolerance and lack of conflict) against the background of India's freedom struggle and his aspirations for her future. But both Gandhi and Nehru did put their finger on an important pulse in India's early past, though not in the way in which it is usually understood at the popular level. There is, in fact, a close connection between ancient India and non-violence. It is not that ancient Indians were especially non-violent. It is that ancient Indian intellectuals, religious thinkers and poets discussed and debated the issue with a seriousness and intensity not seen anywhere else in the world.

https://m-timesofindia-com.cdn.ampp...cms?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQECAAYAA==#social

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back