• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Antharajanam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janaki Jambunathan

Nice to remember this woman on Vijayadasami like Kali she faught Injustice!

She was anantharjanam,meant to live pure and tame. But she wasa lover of pleasure and she threw open her doors to all men
This is a real story from 1905, of Kuriyedathu Thatri, a Brahmin woman who, instead of staying in purdah and worshipping her gods, became a prostitute. Why she did what she did has always been a great mystery in Kerala. Archives in Kochi tell her story. During her trial for prostitution, she began to recite the names of all her famous clients. Great men fell. The king had to stop the trial. The Thatri case became a turning point in the history of women’s reforms. The novel Pratikara Devata based on her life was written by Lalithambika Antharjanam.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...magazine/savitris-revenge/article19779641.ece

hi

very sad story kerala namboothiri brahmin women stories...i know some of them in my childhood...i heard some of the stories too..

Nice to remember this woman on Vijayadasami like Kali she faught Injustice!

She was anantharjanam,meant to live pure and tame. But she wasa lover of pleasure and she threw open her doors to all men
This is a real story from 1905, of Kuriyedathu Thatri, a Brahmin woman who, instead of staying in purdah and worshipping her gods, became a prostitute. Why she did what she did has always been a great mystery in Kerala. Archives in Kochi tell her story. During her trial for prostitution, she began to recite the names of all her famous clients. Great men fell. The king had to stop the trial. The Thatri case became a turning point in the history of women’s reforms. The novel Pratikara Devata based on her life was written by Lalithambika Antharjanam.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...magazine/savitris-revenge/article19779641.ece

I thought I heard about this story before that the King stopped the trial becos he too was her client and did not want that to be known.

She was one of the first ‘feminists’ in Kerala much before the term was coined. A widow at the age of 14, she defied all social norms and community rules to marry again and fought her way through life without compromising on her ideals and values. This film is about that legendary woman, someone who broke new paths, dared to challenge decadent tradition and boldly fought ‘moral policing’ of the times head-on to live the life she believed in.

http://upperstall.com/film/amma/

She died at the age of 99 ! Has any has the link to view this documentary ?

Is this feminism?

She had the option to study, coming out of purdah and the dark rooms of her house, and become a rallying point for other such women in her community. Being very young, she had time on her side. She also had the liberty go with a vengeance at the society as a seductress and prove a point. She chose the second option consciously. That is the story. I do not see any enlightened feminist here or maturity. I see a warped personality which derived a strange pleasure from expressing its sexuality in a particular jihadist way. If this is feminism, I will stop supporting feminism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back