• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Clarification about prasadam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please clarify that when PARUPPU VADAI (Kadalai paruppu) is being made for being offered as Neyvedyam, is it customary/mandatory to make a hole in its centre, as is done in case of ULUNDHU VADAI.
There seems to be some difference in practices giving rise to this confusion

My wife is certain that no hole is made in the center for PARUPPU VADAI, other wise known as Amavadai offered for "neivedyam" . I hope your confusion is clarified. Thanks for posting such an important matter.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Probably the name 'Amaivadai' is given because the vadai resembles the shape of a turtle (with limbs + head in its shell). :)

Usually, it is made without a hole at the center; but I have seen paruppu vadais with holes, when I was young, and that

mAmi said she did so, to make it more crisp! In Ram's village, 'pattANi paruppu' is used for making amaivadai and even

without holes at the center, these will stay crisp for many hours!! :thumb:

P.S: pattaNi paruppu = yellow split peas

Yellow split peas: (courtesy: Google images)

pattani_parupu_2_580x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back