• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are there any person/s of garga gothram with valliyur (tirunelveli dist) origin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am giving my ancestral history here as per the details given by my periyappa and other elders, who are no more now.
My great grandfather was Sankarasubba Iyer. He belonged to Valliyur and hailed from the 4th house at Valliyur gramam. He was a good Vedic scholar and did business for living. He came to Kerala, initially for business and eventually settled at Kidangoor, near Kottayam/Ettumanoor. Gradually, he constructed a house etc. He married twice and had children. His son was Venkitasubramanian. He also settled an married around there. Then one more generation of Sankarasubba Iyer and then Venkitasubramanian (my grandfather) whose name I have. My father was his third son out of five sons. He retired from Brooke Bond and eventually died in 1987. My mother belonged to Trissur. She died in 1999. I am the eldest of 5. My only sister died due to cancer in 1990. So, we 4 sons remain, settled in different places.

Through a blog about Valliyur, I traced a possible relative now settled in USA. After some exchange of messages, we met at Valliyur and I helped her to give the offerings in the temples. I used to visit Valliyur Murugan (my family deity) an Munru Yugam Kanda Amman at Valliyur also due to a prasnam saying that our ancestors used to worship there also and I must do so to get the blessings of Murugan. During my last visit to Valliyur, I got another possible relative, who is settled in Hosur. When I say relative, I mean, Garga gothram with Valliyur origin. I am 72 now.

Please note that the 4th house in the Valliyur gramam is now occupied by someone else entirely unconnected. That house happens to be the house next to the house of Ganapathi Bhattar, Murugan koil priest, with whom I have good rapport.

I am writing this to see if anyone else of Garga gothram of Valliyur origin is available.

If anyone responds positively, we can exchange contact details and exchange information through WhatsApp etc. and re-establish connections, and I am willing to invite them important functions of our family.

Subramania Iyer, Thripunithura

Sir,
Namaskarams, I think I can help you with some inputs. Tried to PM you but could not succeed as your PM mode is not enabled. Please share your personal E-mail or enable PM mode so that I can send you some details.

Ganesh

There have been many discussion on this subject of Gothram. Please search the site.

In India, the clan (gotra) has its
[FONT=q_serif]origin[/FONT] not in the birth of people but derives from the gurus they followed. For example, families belonging to the Bharadwaja gotra are the followers of Bharadwaja Maharishi. But it does not necessarily mean that all its members belong to the same family. Different families in the same caste might have followed Bharadwaja Maharishi; hence so they acquired the name of Bharadwaja gotra.

As a Rigvedic term, gotra simply means "cow pen" or "herd of cows". The specific meaning "family, lineage kin" (as it were "herd within an enclosure") is relatively more recent, first recorded around the mid-1st millennium BCE (e.g., Chandogya Upanishad).

For example, Jats and Rajputs have 3000 Gotras and Mudirajas of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu have 2600 Gotras. Gotra is always passed on from father to children among most Hindus. However, among the Malayali and Tulu
people it is passed on from mother to child.

In the 1945 court case of
Madhavrao vs Raghavendrarao, which involved a Deshastha Brahmin couple, the definition of gotra as descending from eight sages and then branching out to several families was thrown out by the Bombay High Court. The court called the idea of Brahmin families descending from an unbroken line of common ancestors as indicated by the names of their respective gotras "impossible to accept." The court consulted relevant Hindu texts and stressed the need for Hindu society and law to keep up with the times, emphasising that notions of good social behaviour and the general ideology of the Hindu society had changed. The court also said that the mass of material in the Hindu texts is so vast and so full of contradictions that it is a near-impossible task to reduce it to order and coherence.

So you may think that a
sogotra person is your family, that is not true.
You belong to Humankind and everybody belonging to that clan is a family member.

Last edited:
This reply is to Mr.Prasad1.

I am simply trying to see whether any of the descendants from my ancestory acanbe traced.

The human kind and agothra are different dimensions. I do m kulacharams within my home. Outside, I am perfectly non-discriminatory.

Mr. Ganesh65, I do not know what I should do to enable my emails. At my end, all emails are received without any bar. Some of them go to Spam by mistake, but I take it to inbox. You can also try to contact me by my mobile, preferable through WhatsApp. My number is 9495605092. Also please remember that my email ID has a dot after Subramania. and then iyer all small letters.

If you try to call me, I may be busy elsewhere. So messaging is better. We can chat through WhatsApp.

So, the problem is in this site. If you know, please advise.

Sure Sir

I think we may have something in common. Most of your family history has some relation with connection's I have.

Thank you

Last edited:
If you only consider people of your gothera as family, you are going to miss out 70% of family members. All your cousins from attai, mamas, and other members of mothers side. It is a sad commentary of male chauvinism in the days of women's empowerment.

When we talk about the Gothram, we also talk about mother's and wife's side. No male chauvinism etc. intended here. For example. Ganesh has given details about his mother's side. Of course, as it was late night yesterday, I have to talk about my family.

But I have a question> Mr. Prasad are you Garga gothram with Valliyur origin. I am only asking to clarify. This question does not mean that only those related to me can reply this thread. Any one can express just as you have.

The temple tank of Valliyur Murugan temple has completely dried up due to absence of rains. They tried bore well, but as there was no groundwater recharge, this also failed. Now they are trying to clean the tank and bring water from a tank nearby. They have appealed to all well-minded people, especially, Muruga devotees and who have roots in Valliyur, to liberally contribute to this enormous task. You may contact Ganapathi Bhattar at his mobile numbers: 9791433020; 9487149082,
for more information and enquiries and how to transfer money etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back