• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can we allow women to participate in lalitha shasranama laksharchana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you ask a strictly traditional person, he may say that women are banned from performing Lalitha sahasranamam laksharchana.
A the same time, several organisations are doing this and nothing negative has happened to them.
I have some interesting things on this-
1. At our samooham here in Thripunithura, for samooham laksharchanas, laies are not allowed. But during Navarathri and even other occasions, Abhirami group here conduct laksharchana. The samooham priest makes them do samkalpam etc. and officiates as priest.

2.At Alwaye, one of my friends conducts laksharchana on a Sunday during Navarathri every day. Ladies freely participate and his prosperity has only increased. At the same time, on Mahanavami day, the local samooham next door had it only for men exclusively till about two years ago. Two years back, men did not turn up in sufficient numbers to finish the function in time. So, on my advice, the samooham president allowed ladies to participate and it was repeated last year and going to be so this year too. The priest was not happy, but it was a bold decision.

3. I perform bhagavathi sevai, in which lalitha sahasranamam archana is usual. When I performed this for a famous singeron her birthday, I allowed her entire troupe which included Christian ladies to perform archana. Her fame only increased after that. I did a prasna vicharam on m act and it was approved by the Goddess.

I do not know the practice in tamil Nadu and other states. I invite comments.

Subramania Iyer, Thripunithura

Sir,

I think the reply for your querry lies in your own post.

I perform bhagavathi sevai, in which lalitha sahasranamam archana is usual. When I performed this for a famous singeron her birthday, I allowed her entire troupe which included Christian ladies to perform archana. Her fame only increased after that. I did a prasna vicharam on m act and it was approved by the Goddess.

I believe Gods don't discriminate. You yourself admit that performing Bhagwathi Sewai with sankalpam and archanai by people of other faith has increased the quality of life of your client. You also say that you have done a Prashna vicharam and got a devine "Ayes" Then why worry? Go ahead and be cool..

Wait a second!
Worshiping a female deity but females cant participat?

I feel a fatwa should be made to strictly forbid males for worshipping female deities.

Let it all be male worship males and females worship females.

Much easier!

Wait a second!
Worshiping a female deity but females cant participat?

I feel a fatwa should be made to strictly forbid males for worshipping female deities.

Let it all be male worship males and females worship females.

Much easier!

Oh my God!, not again...then who will worship Ardhanareeshwara??

I raised the question only because traditionalists are against this practice, although I have got the divine approval as per the prasnam. I would like to see whether there is any negative views on allowing ladies to perform the shasranamam archana.

If you ask a strictly traditional person, he may say that women are banned from performing Lalitha sahasranamam laksharchana.
A the same time, several organisations are doing this and nothing negative has happened to them.
I have some interesting things on this-
1. At our samooham here in Thripunithura, for samooham laksharchanas, laies are not allowed. But during Navarathri and even other occasions, Abhirami group here conduct laksharchana. The samooham priest makes them do samkalpam etc. and officiates as priest.

2.At Alwaye, one of my friends conducts laksharchana on a Sunday during Navarathri every day. Ladies freely participate and his prosperity has only increased. At the same time, on Mahanavami day, the local samooham next door had it only for men exclusively till about two years ago. Two years back, men did not turn up in sufficient numbers to finish the function in time. So, on my advice, the samooham president allowed ladies to participate and it was repeated last year and going to be so this year too. The priest was not happy, but it was a bold decision.

3. I perform bhagavathi sevai, in which lalitha sahasranamam archana is usual. When I performed this for a famous singeron her birthday, I allowed her entire troupe which included Christian ladies to perform archana. Her fame only increased after that. I did a prasna vicharam on m act and it was approved by the Goddess.

I do not know the practice in tamil Nadu and other states. I invite comments.

Don't bother Mr. Iyer Go ahead with what you are doing. I have heard that Ladies never used to chant Vishnu Sahastrnamam earlier until Great Rajaji prompted M. Subbalakshmi to render it for HMV. So everything has to have a beginning.

Don't bother Mr. Iyer Go ahead with what you are doing. I have heard that Ladies never used to chant Vishnu Sahastrnamam earlier until Great Rajaji prompted M. Subbalakshmi to render it for HMV. So everything has to have a beginning.
Valid point!! :)

Who is this "strictly traditional person"? I will show you a misogynist, sexist, male chauvinist, and ignorant.

Are there separate gods for men and women? Never knew ...

Yes..there are.
Lord Shiva is one heck of a good looking phenomenon... I love to sing Shiva Bhajans cos it has a different beat that sways your mind and body.

Vishnu is a bit too Sattva ..too calm and does not have that Macho feel unlike Lord Shiva who takes my heart away.

A God should have the " Here I am..Rock you like a Hurricane" feel...Shiva has it all.

Last edited:
Some of the things which they told earlier had been misunderstood by our younger generation. Even when males are not clean like not taking bath, they will not be allowed to enter temples previously. Usually males are not allowed to have upper garments in kerala temples.Therefore this is not only a question of faith but it depends on the local customs , which sometimes seems to be scientific and sometimes seems to be unscientific. Only during polluted days or when unclean only, these rules apply. I hope I have made things clear.

I think the concept of cleaning oneself before visiting a temple is well taken. But sometimes the temples themselves are not clean and one can see garbage in various corners. That should have been addressed, right?

we are allowing ladies. see here the website--

Dear Members

Namaskaram. We are pleased to bring you another golden opportunity this year, to be sitting in front of Sri Maha Periva (Life size Vigraham, full of life) and to chant Sri Lalita Sahasra Nama Stotram - in the divine surroundings of Sri Kapaleeswarar Sameda Sri Karpagambal Sannidhi, Mylapore.

On the occasion of Sri Maha Periva Aradhana coming up on Thursday December 14, 2017 we are performing this Eka-Dina-Ashtottara-Shata-Parayanam of Sri Lalita Sahasra Nama Stotram (practically equivalent of Lalita Laksharchana) - for which we will be selecting 108 volunteers who will be blessed with this opportunity to specifically perform Sankalpam, do the chanting and finally receive the special prasadam package that will be available for them.

If you are interested to avail this blessed opportunity, please fill up and submit this form ONLY if you meet the conditions given there (no restrictions of caste, creed, gender etc apply - free for every devotee to participate subject to the conditions). Hurry up, registrations close by 31 October 2017.

Register here: goo.gl/forms/V14XXRYwqj886KmH3

We will post more details of the program shortly.

Periva Saranam

Read more: http://periva.proboards.com/thread/14534/periva-aradhana-celebrations-dec-2017#ixzz4wJAZQElo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back