Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Thriupunithura, Ernakulam distt. Kerala
    Posts
    17
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Can we allow women to participate in lalitha shasranama laksharchana?


    1 Not allowed!
    If you ask a strictly traditional person, he may say that women are banned from performing Lalitha sahasranamam laksharchana.
    A the same time, several organisations are doing this and nothing negative has happened to them.
    I have some interesting things on this-
    1. At our samooham here in Thripunithura, for samooham laksharchanas, laies are not allowed. But during Navarathri and even other occasions, Abhirami group here conduct laksharchana. The samooham priest makes them do samkalpam etc. and officiates as priest.

    2.At Alwaye, one of my friends conducts laksharchana on a Sunday during Navarathri every day. Ladies freely participate and his prosperity has only increased. At the same time, on Mahanavami day, the local samooham next door had it only for men exclusively till about two years ago. Two years back, men did not turn up in sufficient numbers to finish the function in time. So, on my advice, the samooham president allowed ladies to participate and it was repeated last year and going to be so this year too. The priest was not happy, but it was a bold decision.

    3. I perform bhagavathi sevai, in which lalitha sahasranamam archana is usual. When I performed this for a famous singeron her birthday, I allowed her entire troupe which included Christian ladies to perform archana. Her fame only increased after that. I did a prasna vicharam on m act and it was approved by the Goddess.

    I do not know the practice in tamil Nadu and other states. I invite comments.

    Subramania Iyer, Thripunithura
  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    272
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    1 Not allowed!
    Sir,

    I think the reply for your querry lies in your own post.

    I perform bhagavathi sevai, in which lalitha sahasranamam archana is usual. When I performed this for a famous singeron her birthday, I allowed her entire troupe which included Christian ladies to perform archana. Her fame only increased after that. I did a prasna vicharam on m act and it was approved by the Goddess.
    I believe Gods don't discriminate. You yourself admit that performing Bhagwathi Sewai with sankalpam and archanai by people of other faith has increased the quality of life of your client. You also say that you have done a Prashna vicharam and got a devine "Ayes" Then why worry? Go ahead and be cool..
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,231
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Wait a second!
    Worshiping a female deity but females cant participat?

    I feel a fatwa should be made to strictly forbid males for worshipping female deities.

    Let it all be male worship males and females worship females.

    Much easier!
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    272
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Wait a second!
    Worshiping a female deity but females cant participat?

    I feel a fatwa should be made to strictly forbid males for worshipping female deities.

    Let it all be male worship males and females worship females.

    Much easier!
    Oh my God!, not again...then who will worship Ardhanareeshwara??
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Thriupunithura, Ernakulam distt. Kerala
    Posts
    17
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    I raised the question only because traditionalists are against this practice, although I have got the divine approval as per the prasnam. I would like to see whether there is any negative views on allowing ladies to perform the shasranamam archana.

    Subramania Iyer, Thripunithura
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,090
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by athimber View Post
    Oh my God!, not again...then who will worship Ardhanareeshwara??
    I can guess Renu's answer.

    But, don't want to write in "Navratri'' thread.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Delhi/NCR
    Posts
    2,018
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PRVSIYER View Post
    If you ask a strictly traditional person, he may say that women are banned from performing Lalitha sahasranamam laksharchana.
    A the same time, several organisations are doing this and nothing negative has happened to them.
    I have some interesting things on this-
    1. At our samooham here in Thripunithura, for samooham laksharchanas, laies are not allowed. But during Navarathri and even other occasions, Abhirami group here conduct laksharchana. The samooham priest makes them do samkalpam etc. and officiates as priest.

    2.At Alwaye, one of my friends conducts laksharchana on a Sunday during Navarathri every day. Ladies freely participate and his prosperity has only increased. At the same time, on Mahanavami day, the local samooham next door had it only for men exclusively till about two years ago. Two years back, men did not turn up in sufficient numbers to finish the function in time. So, on my advice, the samooham president allowed ladies to participate and it was repeated last year and going to be so this year too. The priest was not happy, but it was a bold decision.

    3. I perform bhagavathi sevai, in which lalitha sahasranamam archana is usual. When I performed this for a famous singeron her birthday, I allowed her entire troupe which included Christian ladies to perform archana. Her fame only increased after that. I did a prasna vicharam on m act and it was approved by the Goddess.

    I do not know the practice in tamil Nadu and other states. I invite comments.

    Subramania Iyer, Thripunithura
    Don't bother Mr. Iyer Go ahead with what you are doing. I have heard that Ladies never used to chant Vishnu Sahastrnamam earlier until Great Rajaji prompted M. Subbalakshmi to render it for HMV. So everything has to have a beginning.
    नाभुक्तं क्षीयते कर्म कल्प कोटि शतैरपि।
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  14. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,090
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GANESH65 View Post
    Don't bother Mr. Iyer Go ahead with what you are doing. I have heard that Ladies never used to chant Vishnu Sahastrnamam earlier until Great Rajaji prompted M. Subbalakshmi to render it for HMV. So everything has to have a beginning.
    Valid point!!
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  16. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    9
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Yes, you most definitely can allow women to participate in any pooja for that matter.
    Eternal Pilgrim
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  18. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,656
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Are there separate gods for men and women? Never knew ...
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •