• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why do we tolerate so called 'godpersons'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Apex body of sadhus release list of 14 'fake babas', demands crackdown on 'rootless cult leaders'.

The Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad on Sunday released a list of 14 "fake babas" and demanded a crackdown on "rootless cult leaders" by bringing in a legislation.
The parishad is a council of akharas, which are monastic orders drawing their spiritual lineage from 8th-century seer Adi Shankara, who is said to have established orders of martial monks with the aim of defending the Hindu Dharma.
Giving out the list, which includes names like Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, Rampal, Asaram and his son Narayan Sai, the parishad's president Swami Narendra Giri said, "We appeal to even the common people to beware of such charlatans who belong to no tradition and by their questionable acts, bring disrepute to sadhus and sanyasis.

http://zeenews.india.com/india/apex...ackdown-on-rootless-cult-leaders-2041116.html

Ordinary educated people have demanded this. I know members will jump that it does not address other religions.

The Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad has really done a good job by opening this pandara box. Their press release says there is more to come. Infact this was need of the hour. People are getting attracted to these babas, because every one want a short cut for success in life. Imporatance of hard work is forgotten. With their huge following which comes handy as a vote bank, these people started ejnoying political patronage as well. Other major factor could be the literacy rate. If you see the fan following of Ram Rahim or Asharam, it didn't include any one from the elite club. Religion is the most saleable commodity at present in India, and people become easy pray for it.

The Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad has really done a good job by opening this pandara box. Their press release says there is more to come. Infact this was need of the hour. People are getting attracted to these babas, because every one want a short cut for success in life. Imporatance of hard work is forgotten. With their huge following which comes handy as a vote bank, these people started ejnoying political patronage as well. Other major factor could be the literacy rate. If you see the fan following of Ram Rahim or Asharam, it didn't include any one from the elite club. Religion is the most saleable commodity at present in India, and people become easy pray for it.

So true.

One reason I found is, in Hinduism we have a seriouis deficit of prpoer platform for religious activity. The reach of our temples, Akaras or Madhoms are limited to certain jurisdiction. The There is no Single religious authority to control the so called saints resulting every person with little bit knowledge of religion becomes a preacher and slowly becomes an establishment himself. We have Madhoms like Kanchi, Sringeri, Dwaraka and Puri etc. but they cant excecise control over the entire religion. Similarly Organizations like Hindu Aikya vedi etc have also no control over religious activities. Varna culture is another biggest hurdle. The lowest cadre feels ignored and look elsewhere to find their own Guru and fall prey to such Godmen who promise them enlightenment. It is time to think about those points. We should try and bring maximum Hindu bodies under one umbrella so that activities on unscrupulous Godmen could be checked. Sorry if I sound rebel....

Athimberji,
I understand your pov but I differ. In other religions too there is no single authority. The evagilical do not accept the pope, the scientologist are not accepted by other denominations. Similarly Isis has no acceptability among the traditional Muslims.
There are predators in every field of life, including religions.

Athimberji,
I understand your pov but I differ. In other religions too there is no single authority. The evagilical do not accept the pope, the scientologist are not accepted by other denominations. Similarly Isis has no acceptability among the traditional Muslims.
There are predators in every field of life, including religions.

May be. But majority of Christianity is controlled by Rome. Almost each and every Parish reports to them.They have a very high influence among the community and damage control measures are immediately undertaken if anything affecting their faith is happened or their pride is at stake. ISIS do not enjoy any clergy staus, I believe. But Imams of major Mosques play a major roll in decisions of their community Majority of Muslims in India follows and accepts fatwa from Imam of Jumma Masjid, Dehi, though he is also not considered as a single head. Moreover they have the Muslim personal law board which exercises a wider reach and control over the community in India.

Last edited:
One reason I found is, in Hinduism we have a seriouis deficit of prpoer platform for religious activity. The reach of our temples, Akaras or Madhoms are limited to certain jurisdiction. The There is no Single religious authority to control the so called saints resulting every person with little bit knowledge of religion becomes a preacher and slowly becomes an establishment himself. We have Madhoms like Kanchi, Sringeri, Dwaraka and Puri etc. but they cant excecise control over the entire religion. Similarly Organizations like Hindu Aikya vedi etc have also no control over religious activities. Varna culture is another biggest hurdle. The lowest cadre feels ignored and look elsewhere to find their own Guru and fall prey to such Godmen who promise them enlightenment. It is time to think about those points. We should try and bring maximum Hindu bodies under one umbrella so that activities on unscrupulous Godmen could be checked. Sorry if I sound rebel....

What you say is true...even an indian reporter said the same thing in an interview with BBC..that the down trodden and scheduled caste feel unrepresented in main stream Hinduism hence prefer to follow Bhakti based ashrams that do not play on Varna grounds.

I think its high time some authority in Hinduism has the guts to delete texts that deem to divide humans into Varna system in the religion.

I am not saying that Varna system cant exists as a social order but in religion it should not exists.

As humans we divide ourselves into different categories..rich..poor..good..bad..educated..
Uneducated etc BUT in religious text words that degrade humans into papa yoni...chandala..shudra unfit for tapas etc should be deleted but sadly no Fatwa on this for us Hindus.

In other religious text we do not find words that degrade their own followers.

Renukaji,
The Catholics in usa, UK, Australia, and nz from a minority of Christians. They are protestants, Baptists, Lutherans, or various other denominations.

Similarly a sunny Imam has no say in a Shia community.

What you say is true...even an indian reporter said the same thing in an interview with BBC..that the down trodden and scheduled caste feel unrepresented in main stream Hinduism hence prefer to follow Bhakti based ashrams that do not play on Varna grounds.

I think its high time some authority in Hinduism has the guts to delete texts that deem to divide humans into Varna system in the religion.

I am not saying that Varna system cant exists as a social order but in religion it should not exists.

As humans we divide ourselves into different categories..rich..poor..good..bad..educated..
Uneducated etc BUT in religious text words that degrade humans into papa yoni...chandala..shudra unfit for tapas etc should be deleted but sadly no Fatwa on this for us Hindus.

In other religious text we do not find words that degrade their own followers.

Madam,

If what you suggest needs implementation, then BG would be banned.

Athimberji,
I understand your pov but I differ. In other religions too there is no single authority. The evagilical do not accept the pope, ...... including religions.

the pope is head of ONLY the catholic church, which again is but an institution who eschew some unbiblical principles. numerous institutions evolved consequent upon the reformation movement which rocked medeaval europe. every institution have their own head, rules, rituals etc different from others. these are my recollections from what I studied in history subject in school.

Renukaji,
The Catholics in usa, UK, Australia, and nz from a minority of Christians. They are protestants, Baptists, Lutherans, or various other denominations.

Similarly a sunny Imam has no say in a Shia community.

excepting europe and latin american countries, catholics are minority.

Apex body of sadhus release list of 14 'fake babas', demands crackdown on 'rootless cult leaders'.

The Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad on Sunday released a list of 14 "fake babas" and demanded a crackdown on "rootless cult leaders" by bringing in a legislation.
The parishad is a council of akharas, which are monastic orders drawing their spiritual lineage from 8th-century seer Adi Shankara, who is said to have established orders of martial monks with the aim of defending the Hindu Dharma.
Giving out the list, which includes names like Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, Rampal, Asaram and his son Narayan Sai, the parishad's president Swami Narendra Giri said, "We appeal to even the common people to beware of such charlatans who belong to no tradition and by their questionable acts, bring disrepute to sadhus and sanyasis.

http://zeenews.india.com/india/apex...ackdown-on-rootless-cult-leaders-2041116.html

Ordinary educated people have demanded this. I know members will jump that it does not address other religions.

but these had existed in earlier centuries, have been existing since yester-centuries and would spring up like mushroom in future as long as they have patronage of gullible public.

would melmaruvathoor guy not come under this umbrella of fake-godmen? for that matter there is a motley crowd of them in tn existing since long, with mass-following. why don't their names figure in this list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back