• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why sitting down all day is bad for the brain

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with too much sitting

Too much sitting can increase the risk of early death. It’s estimated that 60-75 minutes a day of moderate to vigorous intensity exercise is required to offset the increased risk of death associated with more than eight hours a day of sitting.

This is a lot of exercise. At least twice as much as the current minimum recommended amount for adults. So reducing sitting may be an additional health-enhancing strategy.

Multiple studies have demonstrated that reducing and replacing sitting with light intensity walking improves glucose control after food consumption. That means glucose levels that do not spike too high, or dip too low. This may be explained by the way working muscles can use up some of the glucose in our system, helping to keep glucose in the optimal range.

DIIVc9GWAAALaa0.jpg

Evidence suggests that when it comes to glucose control, light intensity physical activity spread across the day can be superior to a day in which a single bout of moderate to vigorous exercise is performed in the morning. Even when the total energy expenditure of the light intensity activity is equal to the energy expenditure of the single bout of higher intensity activity.

Improved glucose control may explain some of the health benefits of reducing sitting time, but what about effects on brain function?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Even without reading the article I can tell sitting with out activity is a punishment, both physical and mental. I am experiencing it now.
The reason is partly physical due to old age and partly the prevailing condition of environment in the abnormal growing city of Bangalore. Almost all the roads in our locality is dug up for relaying sewage pipes and cleaning rain water drains ! With the rains of monsoon on people are unable to walk on the roads. As we grow older sense organs fail one by one. Now my hearing is weakened. I have already got my cataract operation done for both eyes. Memory is failing day by day. To start with I am unable to remember names.
In spite of these growing impediments I try to catch up knowledge seeking by reading and listening to audio books. That keeps me ticking !
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back