• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

If we look at the moon on chathurthi how to overcome it !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we look at the Moon on chathurthi how to overcome it ?.

Krishna gives a boon that those who perform the Ganesh Pooja and would listen to the story of birth of Ganesha and the story of smantakamani and put the AKSHINTALU( rice which is prepared by mixing it with pasupu(turmeric) that are used to do pooja) on their heads would be freed from the curse if they accidentally see the Moon.

No harm ensues if sliver of moon is sighted on an ordinary chathurthi thithi in any month.

However, if sighted inadvertently on Vinaayaka Chathurthi Day -- Bhaadrapada maasa, Chingnya maasam, Aavani maasam, fourth day after Amaavaasya (new moon day) -- the praayaschittham usually is performance of Mahaa Ganapathi pooja or Mahaa Gaapathi homam. If homam, it should be timed to end at sunrise.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Viji,

Almost every year, I happen to see the Moon on Vinayaka Chathurthi, when I visit our colony temple in the evening!

I did NOT face any problem, may be because we pray Lord Vinayaka with special neivEdhyams on that day!

So, don't worry too much. :)

Logically nothing can happen if we see the moon on any day.

The moon is there in space whether we look at it or not.

And its not the only moon in the universe.

If we are to start fearing every celestial body and its effect on us..why dont we all start fearing gravity and come up with some Homa as Prayaschittam so that we can float around weightlessness?

Nature is nature..if you dont mess with it..it doesnt mess with you.

Would we recommend any Homa for Prayaschitam for Neil Amstrong and Edwin Aldrin for stepping on the moon?

Its time we Hindus learn to spell LOGIC.

Dear Viji,

Almost every year, I happen to see the Moon on Vinayaka Chathurthi, when I visit our colony temple in the evening!

I did NOT face any problem, may be because we pray Lord Vinayaka with special neivEdhyams on that day!

So, don't worry too much. :)

Dear RRji,

You are making it sound as if you are saved from the effects of looking at the moon becos you offered Lord Ganesh Naivedhyam.

Is it?

Cant be right?
God doesnt take bribes..only humans try to bribe Him!LOL

... You are making it sound as if you are saved from the effects of looking at the moon becos you offered Lord Ganesh Naivedhyam.

Is it?.....
:nono: Dear Renu! I am just trying to make Viji NOT to get scared!

I have strong belief in Karma theory and am sure that viewing Chathurthi Moon will not harm anyone.

In fact, only the moondrAm piRai is hard to locate but nAngAm piRai will be at an angle for very easy viewing! :cool:

It is high time we call a superstition as such and denounce it.
Superstitions hold back our progress.

If you look at the posts in this site, the majority are superstitious.
hi sir,

many religious practices based on....its belief....some body beleives some thing..others will not...we can;t generalise...

even worshipping GOD and doing avani avittam may be superstitious...not for every one...if u dont beleive...don't

reply to the particular thread...you can keep quiet...thats all...

Post 8

Dear Mr tbs,

You have made an excellent point. This is Rituals section and only people who are well versed in rituals should reply. Giving gratuitous and uncalled for advice unrelated to the topic area will only hurt the sentiments of 'newbies'
Hope this practice will stop. Helping to remove fear like Raji Madam's reply is fine . Mr Iyer has the best and useful response for the query. And I am not into rituals or know much but saying this out of respect for believers

Post 8

Dear Mr tbs,

You have made an excellent point. This is Rituals section and only people who are well versed in rituals should reply. Giving gratuitous and uncalled for advice unrelated to the topic area will only hurt the sentiments of 'newbies'
Hope this practice will stop. Helping to remove fear like Raji Madam's reply is fine . Mr Iyer has the best and useful response for the query. And I am not into rituals or know much but saying this out of respect for believers

Yes, point noted. I did not see the section of the post. I responded to a post, but my mistake. I deleted my post.

Just say if its really advocated to do a Ganapati Homa if one accidently sees the moon on the forbidden day....my question is..if the person who sighted the moon is a Vaishnava who does not subscribe to Ganapati Homa...how is this case handled?

Is Prayaschittam needed here?

Just say if its really advocated to do a Ganapati Homa if one accidently sees the moon on the forbidden day....my question is..if the person who sighted the moon is a Vaishnava who does not subscribe to Ganapati Homa...how is this case handled?

Is Prayaschittam needed here?

I do not believe in mumbo jumbos so I can not say anything in this section.

I do not believe in mumbo jumbos so I can not say anything in this section.

I am looking for an answer which would agree with every sect of Hinduism.

If Ganapati does not play a significant role in Vaishnava school of thought hence sighting the moon on any day should not bring any harm cos the moon sighting cant be selective in harmful effects that would warrant a Homa only for non vaishnavas.

Bad is bad..it cant be bad only to a select few and have no effect on others.

For eg Cyanide..its 99.9999% lethal.
Its not selectively lethal.

So to get down to this matter if the sighting of the moon on Ganesh Chaturti is bad..this belief should be supported by every other Hindu sect.

May be Vaagmi ji can shed some Chandra Kiran here so it will not make us go into were wolf mode to fear the moon.

May be the following post quench your thirst. Copied from internet not verified personally.

Source: http://rajuhiremath.blogspot.in/2012/09/ganesha-chaurthi-and-seeing-moon-myth.html

Raju Hiremath
A blog where Raju Hiremath communicates to the world the way he sees it

Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Ganesha Chaurthi and Seeing Moon - A myth or reality?
Many of us, during our childhood, were told the Hindu Mythological story about Lord Ganesha and Moon, we were also told not to see the moon during Ganesha Chaturthi. It is said that whosoever sees moon on Shukla Chaturthi i.e Ganesh Chaturthi will be falsely accused/blamed. Keeping aside this Mythological Story about Lord Ganesha falling off and Chandra Dev (Moon) laughing at him, let us see what is this all about scientifically.

Before understanding this, one should know that all beings including humans have positive energy and negative energy within them. The one who nurtures a particular energy of his/her's - will lead their life accordingly in the respective path. Based on this you can say that positive or negativity happenings in one's life is the effect of their own self. It is natural that all human beings are derived from nothing but darkness, we keep on adding to this by food (grown on earth - mud), surroundings, thoughts, influences, and upbringing. Our ancestors realized this thousands of years ago and found a way to put light into our body/soul by inventing Pranayama. Prana means light/light particle - Ayama means invoking. Hence Pranayama means invoking light. The light, also called as light particles are invoked from Cosmos. In particular one can say they are invoked from Sun who is the light provider to the entire earth. If practiced properly with the relevant techniques, these Prana Particles will become the guiding light energy for that person and will help him/her in showing the path of their life. Similarly the light energy of an individual will be simultaneously equal to the quantity of the light invoked. This light energy gives answers to lot of questions about self and life, it also helps the person to lead a good peaceful life by manifesting positivity in and around him/her. There are thousands of Pranayama methods invented, of which very few are practiced in today's world - indeed they serve the purpose too.

Coming back to the topic. During the Shukla Chaturthi, which falls on the fourth day of new moon in the bhadrapada month of hindu calender, also called as Ganesha Chaturthi, the rays emitted by the moon will carry negative like prana particles. When a person sees the moon, these negative like prana particles enter the body through his/her eye. Once these particle enters the body the negative like situation, a false blame/accusation gets manifested in their life. Because of this particular reason our ancestors advised us against from seeing moon during Chaturthi Tithi - through a story about Ganesha and Moon.

Upon knowing these facts you may have few questions. I will answer a few of the basic questions here :-

Q: Is the story about Ganesha falling off and the moon laughing at him a false story?
A: Our ancestors had a unique way of telling the facts to common people. Be it early Hindus, or ancient Egyptians or the old Chinese - they have passed on tremendous knowledge to the next generations through symbols and through stories. As a symbol or as a story it is easy to remember the facts. However in this case the story passed on through generations, but not the fact behind it as the way it is.

Q: If I see Moon on Ganesha Chaturthi when will I have the effect mentioned above?
A: It varies from a person to person. Normally the manifestation happens in one moon cycle or 15 days. Moon passes on in two cycles each month called as New Moon or Amavasya and Full Moon or Poornima.

Q: The mythology also says if one listens or reads the story of Lord Krishna and Syamantaka Mani, the curse will be removed. Will this help?
A: As I mentioned earlier our ancestors passed on knowledge through stories, this is also part of the same story. Reading or Listening to that story will not help

Q: What if I see moon, say by mistake, can I nullify the after effects of seeing it?
A: Yes. There is always a solution or an antidote to a problem. This has to done only by yourself. However one cannot learn this method in a day or two. But there is no harm in trying it!!

Q: Nowadays Ganesha Festival is celebrated for more than a day everywhere. Does it mean I should not see moon on all those days?
A: Shukla Chaturthi is on fourth day after New Moon (Amavasya) i.e on Ganesha Festival. Hence it is advised not see Moon only on that particular day.

Q: Do you mean to say that I should also avoid seeing the moon in images, internet or say even on TV?
A: The prana particles will come from the real moon not from the moon in your laptop or your TV. Hence no harm!!

I wish you and your family a very happy Ganesha Chaturthi. Hope you don't see the moon :)

However let me know if you see the moon on this day!!

Last edited:
Reading the story about how this belief came about..
It seems that the Chandra insulted Ganesh's looks becos Chandra deva
was very good looking.

So Ganesh cursed him and this story came about.

May be its symbolic.
The moon is used in many cultures to denote beauty.
So mostly beauty of physical form is often equated with vanity.

So I guess just once a year on Ganesh Chaturti we should not focus on physical beauty and vanity instead we should focus on removing the obstacles that cloud our intellect...after all Ganesh is Vighneswara...the remover of obstacles.

So Puranas usually instill fear that becomes a superstition without many of us wanting to dissect beyond.

I guess the Prayaschit Ganapati Homa is just to alleviate the Fear Factor.

The next question is..
" Do we want to try understanding rationale of every phenomenon or do we just want to remain fearful".

Breaking away from fear by understanding isnt a sin.

May be the following post quench your thirst. Copied from internet not verified personally.

Source: http://rajuhiremath.blogspot.in/2012/09/ganesha-chaurthi-and-seeing-moon-myth.html

Raju Hiremath
A blog where Raju Hiremath communicates to the world the way he sees it

Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Ganesha Chaurthi and Seeing Moon - A myth or reality?
Many of us, during our childhood, were told the Hindu Mythological story about Lord Ganesha and Moon, we were also told not to see the moon during Ganesha Chaturthi. It is said that whosoever sees moon on Shukla Chaturthi i.e Ganesh Chaturthi will be falsely accused/blamed. Keeping aside this Mythological Story about Lord Ganesha falling off and Chandra Dev (Moon) laughing at him, let us see what is this all about scientifically.

Before understanding this, one should know that all beings including humans have positive energy and negative energy within them. The one who nurtures a particular energy of his/her's - will lead their life accordingly in the respective path. Based on this you can say that positive or negativity happenings in one's life is the effect of their own self. It is natural that all human beings are derived from nothing but darkness, we keep on adding to this by food (grown on earth - mud), surroundings, thoughts, influences, and upbringing. Our ancestors realized this thousands of years ago and found a way to put light into our body/soul by inventing Pranayama. Prana means light/light particle - Ayama means invoking. Hence Pranayama means invoking light. The light, also called as light particles are invoked from Cosmos. In particular one can say they are invoked from Sun who is the light provider to the entire earth. If practiced properly with the relevant techniques, these Prana Particles will become the guiding light energy for that person and will help him/her in showing the path of their life. Similarly the light energy of an individual will be simultaneously equal to the quantity of the light invoked. This light energy gives answers to lot of questions about self and life, it also helps the person to lead a good peaceful life by manifesting positivity in and around him/her. There are thousands of Pranayama methods invented, of which very few are practiced in today's world - indeed they serve the purpose too.

Coming back to the topic. During the Shukla Chaturthi, which falls on the fourth day of new moon in the bhadrapada month of hindu calender, also called as Ganesha Chaturthi, the rays emitted by the moon will carry negative like prana particles. When a person sees the moon, these negative like prana particles enter the body through his/her eye. Once these particle enters the body the negative like situation, a false blame/accusation gets manifested in their life. Because of this particular reason our ancestors advised us against from seeing moon during Chaturthi Tithi - through a story about Ganesha and Moon.

Upon knowing these facts you may have few questions. I will answer a few of the basic questions here :-

Q: Is the story about Ganesha falling off and the moon laughing at him a false story?
A: Our ancestors had a unique way of telling the facts to common people. Be it early Hindus, or ancient Egyptians or the old Chinese - they have passed on tremendous knowledge to the next generations through symbols and through stories. As a symbol or as a story it is easy to remember the facts. However in this case the story passed on through generations, but not the fact behind it as the way it is.

Q: If I see Moon on Ganesha Chaturthi when will I have the effect mentioned above?
A: It varies from a person to person. Normally the manifestation happens in one moon cycle or 15 days. Moon passes on in two cycles each month called as New Moon or Amavasya and Full Moon or Poornima.

Q: The mythology also says if one listens or reads the story of Lord Krishna and Syamantaka Mani, the curse will be removed. Will this help?
A: As I mentioned earlier our ancestors passed on knowledge through stories, this is also part of the same story. Reading or Listening to that story will not help

Q: What if I see moon, say by mistake, can I nullify the after effects of seeing it?
A: Yes. There is always a solution or an antidote to a problem. This has to done only by yourself. However one cannot learn this method in a day or two. But there is no harm in trying it!!

Q: Nowadays Ganesha Festival is celebrated for more than a day everywhere. Does it mean I should not see moon on all those days?
A: Shukla Chaturthi is on fourth day after New Moon (Amavasya) i.e on Ganesha Festival. Hence it is advised not see Moon only on that particular day.

Q: Do you mean to say that I should also avoid seeing the moon in images, internet or say even on TV?
A: The prana particles will come from the real moon not from the moon in your laptop or your TV. Hence no harm!!

I wish you and your family a very happy Ganesha Chaturthi. Hope you don't see the moon :)

However let me know if you see the moon on this day!!

Dear Ganesh Ji.

Prana reaches us by the process of radiation..just like sunlight..it can even travel tru vaccum.

By saying on Ganesh chaturti the moon emits negative Prana..why only upon seeing the moon the Prana enters us.

Prana does not need to enter only tru eyes to have an effect.

Its all around us.
Prana is in every breath we take.

Its not in every sight we behold.

Pranayama itself is done with closed eyes focusing on breath control.

Somehow the story does hit the logical scale.

I will see the moon tomorrow.

Last edited:
Post 8

Dear Mr tbs,

hi

thanks...

Ganeshji,
If this post was in GD section, we can argue this point.
Like a-TB pointed out I can not present opposing point in this section.

Ganeshji,
If this post was in GD section, we can argue this point.
Like a-TB pointed out I can not present opposing point in this section.

I would still like to know your point of view on this Prasadji. thaugh not for the sake of argument. Please PM me if possible if you don't want to do it in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back