• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bhagavata parayanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read Bhagavatam one sloka atleast per day with meaning, though people cannot become free from their material vasanas, but bhakti makes one completely pure and cleans the heart of all impurities. These stories are there specifically to show the greatness of bhakti over all other paths. The point is not in the telling of a story, but in what the story is trying to tell us.

Used to read Bhaagavatham devotedly when young.

Stopped when I came across disgraceful passages solemnly saying

- that Krishna had 16,108 wives,
- that gopis exposed and rubbed their bare breasts against his naked torso out of lust,
- that he induced pathi-vrathaa Braahmana wives attending and assisting in solemn fire-sacrifices in the forest to desert their husbands after stealing the food preparations so as to feed Krishna's co-shepherds,
- that one can lead a dissolute and wholly sinful life but at the moment of death accidentally say the word "naaraayanaa" and immediately attain Heaven,
- that in a battle over Krishna's grandson's infatuation with an asuran's grand-daughter:
- Krishna and his son defeated Lord Shiva and his hosts of bhoothams,
- that Krishna's son also defeated Lord Vinaayaka and his army,
- that Krishna's son finally wounded Lord Subrahmanya in all his 12 arms and his legs and sent him bleeding and fleeing in disgrace from the battlefield.

The same blasphemies were repeated in a condensed form by Naaraayana Bhattaththiri in his "Naaraayaneeysm".

So, be cautious when reading the Bhaagavatham.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Please read Devi Bhagavatam atleast an overview, then you will clearly understand and get answers for all your comments.

When I read your reply I feel sorry for your views.

Used to read Bhaagavatham devotedly when young.

Stopped when I came across disgraceful passages solemnly saying

- that Krishna had 16,108 wives,
- that gopis exposed and rubbed their bare breasts against his naked torso out of lust,
- that he induced pathi-vrathaa Braahmana wives attending and assisting in solemn fire-sacrifices in the forest to desert their husbands after stealing the food preparations so as to feed Krishna's co-shepherds,
- that one can lead a dissolute and wholly sinful life but at the moment of death accidentally say the word "naaraayanaa" and immediately attain Heaven,
- that in a battle over Krishna's grandson's infatuation with an asuran's grand-daughter:
- Krishna and his son defeated Lord Shiva and his hosts of bhoothams,
- that Krishna's son also defeated Lord Vinaayaka and his army,
- that Krishna's son finally wounded Lord Subrahmanya in all his 12 arms and his legs and sent him bleeding and fleeing in disgrace from the battlefield.

The same blasphemies were repeated in a condensed form by Naaraayana Bhattaththiri in his "Naaraayaneeysm".

So, be cautious when reading the Bhaagavatham.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Its not the fault of Lord Krishna...its the fault of the overactive imagination of the writers... also we do not have evidence if all these really happened.

Such writers should be beheaded..cos they give God a bad name.

Last edited:
Dear Newbie Viji Ramsai

Read your response. My comments require no "answers". They are fully verifiable, self-contained and self-explanatory.

Moreover, Vishnu Bhaagavatham contains other disgraceful and blasphemous stories about Krishna. One is as follows:-

One bright morning a crowd of pubescent gopis (milkmaids) went down to the sacred Yamuna River to bathe "skinny-dipping". They left all their clothes on the river bank in a heap. Krishna and his gang of Peeping-Tom cowherds creeping up saw that, grabbed the all the maidens' clothes, climbed a nearby tree, and hid there, avidly watching the naked women bathe and sport innocently in the water.

After a while the women came out of the water, but could not find their clothes. They heard scornful laughter from the nearby tree where Krishna and his gang were hiding with the stolen clothes. The women hid heir modesty as best they could and humbly asked Krishna to throw down their clothes.

Krishna refused, and asked them to remove the forearms with which they were covering their breasts. They did so, and again asked for their clothes. Again Krishna refused. He now insisted that they remove the other forearms and spread palms with which they were shielding their private parts. He told them to raise their joined palms over their heads and
adore him.

Only when all of them complied and stood absolutely naked on the Yamuna River bank without a stitch on their skins did Krishna and his mocking gang of booligans throw down the gopis' clothes.

I feel really sorry for you if you totally approve of such behaviour and consider it a divine blessing to the gopis.

Thanks for bringing in Devi Bhaagavatham. Yes. I have read all three volumes of it in the original thoroughly. Have you? Do you know who Ambaa, Ambikaa, and Ambaalika are? Can I give you a thumb-nail sketch of what is in the Devi Bhaagavatham? Thanks. Listen.

Long, long ago a Gandharva was flying through the sky when he spotted a beautiful silver-coloured fish swimming and diving in the Yamuna River below. Overcome by lust, he mated with it. The fish conceived and eventually gave birth to a stinky human female. She was found by a fisherman. He named her Durganthi ("the smelly one"), brought her up, and trained her to row a boat across the river and back.

We know from Devi Bhaagavatham that Krishna Dvaipaayana (black baby born on an island), child of a fisherman's adopted daughter called Durganthi (stinking female) and a renegade wandering aged Paraasara (mixed-blood individual), took a vow of chastity (brahmachaaryam). He was later known as Vyaasa (the "original" one and splitter of the Vedas). His mother Durganthi married King Shantanu, who already had a son Bhishma, by Ganga Devi, but did not know of Durganthi (renamed Sathyavathi)'s history, especially of her having been seduced by half-blood Paraasara and having birthed Krishna Dvaipaayana alias Vyaasa. Bhishma took a vow of brhamachaaryam so that King Santanu's other children could be king after the king died.

Devi Bhaagavathem rcounts extensively stories of King Chithraanganda, his impotent son Vichithraveerya, Ambaa, Ambika, Ambaalika (royal sisters who were abudcted by warrior Bhishma at their svayamvaram), and how this Vyaasa at Durganthi's request broke his brahmachaaryam vow, slept with Ambikaa and Ambaalikaa (two royal widows of deceased King Vichithraveerya) and with Ambaalika's maid, and produced respectively Maha-Bhaaratham's blind King Dritharaashtra, skin-diseased Paandu, and [impotent?] Vidoora. It recounts how Ambaa's fiance/husband was killed (by Bhishma?) and how she, by powers obtained by severe austerities, was reborn as a male, opposed Arjuna in battle in the Mahaa-Bhaaratha War, and would have killed Arjuna if not for the intervention of Krishna.

With due respect, nowhere is Devi Bhaagavtham relevant to my commentrs on Vishnu Bhaagavatham.

For your information, and to assuage your anxieties, I still perform piously shodashopachaara pooja and archana to Lord Sree Krishna-Paramaathma every year on Gokulaashtami Day and recite daily slokams from Bhagavath Geetha. I also include in my daily prayers slokams proferring namaskaarams to Him and to Lord Sree Raama-Parabrahma as avathaarams of Mahaa Vishnu.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

hi

always in every puranam....some kind of stories....which are undigestable.....just bhakti required...

Sure I have bhakthi, Sir.

For your information, and to assuage your anxieties, I have bhakthi in our Central Government. They contain no criminals, are absolutely incorruptible, treat Hindus and Muslims equally ("Haj" subsidies for Muslims are matched with "Yathra" subsidies for Hindus travelling to Haridvaar, Gangotri, Yamunotri, Rameswaram, Kaashi, Triveni Sangamam in Prayaaga, and Shraaddha Bhoomi Gaya),

They treat Braahmanas and Dalits as equal (there are reservations for Dalits in Government jobs, in subsidised Government housing, in generous grants for studies in Universities of their choice, for travelling overseas to study and to enjoy holidays: there are reservations for Braahmanaas in old peoples' homes without any amenites, in hospitals without any qualified doctors, in schools without any qualified teachers, in public toilets which require their labour to clean, in villages where the roofs and walls of houses are collapsing, where the water supply is dubious and electricity or telephone connections do not exist, in very old neglected temples where idols of gods and goddesses have been stolen and sold to overseas collectors).

I have bhakthi in our Braahmana community. Especially those who detest Braahmanas who do namaskaarams to gods, goddesses, elders, gurus, vaadhyars, aachaaryaars, maathrus, pithrus, and athithis. I have bhakthi in those who make fun of Lord Vinaayaka, who say out loud that Arjuna is an anti-feminist stuntsman, who write in our columns that the Hadiths of Islam and the Koran are superior to our shaasthrams and our Vedams, that our puraanams are stories cooked up by male chauvinists, that we should all aspire to Firdaus the Muslim Heaven, that Telegu, Kannadam and Malayalam are akin to alien Swahili tongues while Arabic and Malay are not.

Sir, I have strong bhakthi in the fairness, in the impartialty, in the even-handedness, in the absolute justice and equity, in fact in the infallibility, of our moderators, in our teamtb, and in all our contributors. Yourself included, Sri tbs.

If I have left anyone out, please pardon me for the inadvertence.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Newbie Viji Ramsai

Read your response. My comments require no "answers". They are fully verifiable, self-contained and self-explanatory.

Moreover, Vishnu Bhaagavatham contains other disgraceful and blasphemous stories about Krishna. One is as follows:-

One bright morning a crowd of pubescent gopis (milkmaids) went down to the sacred Yamuna River to bathe "skinny-dipping". They left all their clothes on the river bank in a heap. Krishna and his gang of Peeping-Tom cowherds creeping up saw that, grabbed the all the maidens' clothes, climbed a nearby tree, and hid there, avidly watching the naked women bathe and sport innocently in the water.

After a while the women came out of the water, but could not find their clothes. They heard scornful laughter from the nearby tree where Krishna and his gang were hiding with the stolen clothes. The women hid heir modesty as best they could and humbly asked Krishna to throw down their clothes.

Krishna refused, and asked them to remove the forearms with which they were covering their breasts. They did so, and again asked for their clothes. Again Krishna refused. He now insisted that they remove the other forearms and spread palms with which they were shielding their private parts. He told them to raise their joined palms over their heads and
adore him.

Only when all of them complied and stood absolutely naked on the Yamuna River bank without a stitch on their skins did Krishna and his mocking gang of booligans throw down the gopis' clothes.

I feel really sorry for you if you totally approve of such behaviour and consider it a divine blessing to the gopis.

Thanks for bringing in Devi Bhaagavatham. Yes. I have read all three volumes of it in the original thoroughly. Have you? Do you know who Ambaa, Ambikaa, and Ambaalika are? Can I give you a thumb-nail sketch of what is in the Devi Bhaagavatham? Thanks. Listen.

Long, long ago a Gandharva was flying through the sky when he spotted a beautiful silver-coloured fish swimming and diving in the Yamuna River below. Overcome by lust, he mated with it. The fish conceived and eventually gave birth to a stinky human female. She was found by a fisherman. He named her Durganthi ("the smelly one"), brought her up, and trained her to row a boat across the river and back.

We know from Devi Bhaagavatham that Krishna Dvaipaayana (black baby born on an island), child of a fisherman's adopted daughter called Durganthi (stinking female) and a renegade wandering aged Paraasara (mixed-blood individual), took a vow of chastity (brahmachaaryam). He was later known as Vyaasa (the "original" one and splitter of the Vedas). His mother Durganthi married King Shantanu, who already had a son Bhishma, by Ganga Devi, but did not know of Durganthi (renamed Sathyavathi)'s history, especially of her having been seduced by half-blood Paraasara and having birthed Krishna Dvaipaayana alias Vyaasa. Bhishma took a vow of brhamachaaryam so that King Santanu's other children could be king after the king died.

Devi Bhaagavathem rcounts extensively stories of King Chithraanganda, his impotent son Vichithraveerya, Ambaa, Ambika, Ambaalika (royal sisters who were abudcted by warrior Bhishma at their svayamvaram), and how this Vyaasa at Durganthi's request broke his brahmachaaryam vow, slept with Ambikaa and Ambaalikaa (two royal widows of deceased King Vichithraveerya) and with Ambaalika's maid, and produced respectively Maha-Bhaaratham's blind King Dritharaashtra, skin-diseased Paandu, and [impotent?] Vidoora. It recounts how Ambaa's fiance/husband was killed (by Bhishma?) and how she, by powers obtained by severe austerities, was reborn as a male, opposed Arjuna in battle in the Mahaa-Bhaaratha War, and would have killed Arjuna if not for the intervention of Krishna.

With due respect, nowhere is Devi Bhaagavtham relevant to my commentrs on Vishnu Bhaagavatham.

For your information, and to assuage your anxieties, I still perform piously shodashopachaara pooja and archana to Lord Sree Krishna-Paramaathma every year on Gokulaashtami Day and recite daily slokams from Bhagavath Geetha. I also include in my daily prayers slokams proferring namaskaarams to Him and to Lord Sree Raama-Parabrahma as avathaarams of Mahaa Vishnu.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Half blooded Parasara muni or mixed blood Veda Vyasa..at the end of the day its this mixed blood one born tru Sathyavati who rearraanged the Vedas for easier Parroting.

I used the word Parroting cos very few people know Vedic Sanskrit well enough in this world to understand Vedas.

Mostly just memorize and regurgitate yet call themselves learned.

Poly wants a cracker.
Squaawk!

Pained to see illspeak about bhagavatham.Actually bhagavatham contains 12 big chapters with many sargas(athyayam)in them.The above so called bad stories comes in 10 th chap.vedavyas would have thought after reading 9 chap the reader would be nearing a gnani stage.I pity vyasa for misjudging people.the comments remind me of the story"குரங்க நினைத்துக்கொண்டு மருந்து சாப்பிடாதே"

It does not take a gnaani to separate the grain from the chaff. If the visible and patent truth hurts, then do not read either the Vishnu or the Devi Bhaagavatham.

The comments remind me of the popular Thamizh saying, "நாயை குளிப்பித்து நட்டுள்ளில் வைத்தால் வாலை குழைத்துண்டு ....... தின்ன போகும்.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

hi

asta dasa puraneshu...vyasasya vachana dwayam.....propakaara punyaaya..paapaya para peedanam...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back