• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Question on death of my aunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Nandama

Your chinna-thaaththa's unmarried daughter is equivalent to your chitthi (father's sister).

The ashoucha period is three days immediately after her death or three days immediately after news of her death reaches you. There is no one-year mourning period, as there would be if your chinna-thaathaa, your chinna-paatti, or your parents or your father's younger brother or his younger brother's wife died.

I pesume ypur kujla-deivam is Thirupathi Sree Venkataachalapathy, and not Thirumalanaayaki?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sri Nandama

Your chinna-thaaththa's unmarried daughter is equivalent to your chitthi (father's sister).

The ashoucha period is three days immediately after her death or three days immediately after news of her death reaches you. There is no one-year mourning period, as there would be if your chinna-thaathaa, your chinna-paatti, or your parents or your father's younger brother or his younger brother's wife died.

I pesume ypur kujla-deivam is Thirupathi Sree Venkataachalapathy, and not Thirumalanaayaki?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear sri Narayanaswamy

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, my kula deivam is Tirupathi Venkatachalapathy. My vaathiar told me that for 1 year I cannot go to Tirupathi etc. And that I should also do Kuzhi tharpanam on the 10th day. Same advice was given by another vaathiar as well. However on the 10th day the Vaathiar engaged my uncle to complete the rituals didn't allow me to do kuzhi tharpanam as he was of the view that the ashoucha period was only 3 days. So pretty confusing.

Dear Sri Nandama

Some "vaadhyaars" do not know the shasthrams.

As you belong to the same gothram as your deceased aunt and she has no son, you have every right to perform her anthyeshti kriyas if you so wish. Probably some conspiracy between the vsadhyaars and your uncle to bypass you. Your uncle has the same ashoucha period as you.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back