• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Great Indian Jugaad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find indian workmen very innovative and good at finding cost effective solutions for every issue.

Some instances.

1. I have one very large Daewoo frig 570litres about 18 years old.Daewoo had pulled out of indian market for this item.One of its ex employees makes replacement

parts for inner cabinets,freezer in part metal replacing plastic.I found them excellent.Its compressor recently failed.One small shop mechanic simply brought a

compressor taken from an old frig and fitted it.It works fine.It did not cost much. less than a thousand rupees.

2. My split AC compressor from a reputed brand failed and totally damaged. 8 years old.The company wanted 13 k for replacement of compressor alone filled with

gas.I called the local mechanic instead. He replaced the total box including compressor and accessories outside the home. He did that for 9k with gas filled and gave me

one year guarantee. It took him just two hours.Now the split AC is a combination original brand fitting , electronics , remote

and local compressor box.lol

3. During diwali time lot of chinese decorations colourful with long lasting indian bulbs and electrical fittings are sold.Local fellows remove the inner electrics which

are flimsy and replace with standard indian lights and fittings.

4.Lot of indian companies have come up offering high speed internet , wifi with competitive prices and better services. They They make possible wireless connection

of all devices mobiles, ipads, PCs . Theyt call every second day to find out if their system works fine.

4. A couple of youngsters just out of college have floated a company next door in a flat.They service finance requirements of some govt departments.In addition,

they also supply groceries -yes groceries, fresh vegetables etc for orders got online in a range of 4 km to all homes . They store all these in the back room of the flat. Could you

imagine someone combining finance applications and grocery supply in a company?These boys called on me and my wife , touched our feet and took our blessings

and handed over sweets while starting the company couple of months back.This is new india.

5 Our plumbers are the most ingenious. They have installed a network of tanks at various level at kitchen height and top of building and arranged for motor for

pumping , overflow alarms in tanks in my flat.It is a marvel . I never have water shortage. They have installed a RO water facility ensuring sufficient head for

it.They have safeguards to prevent reverse flows and installed hot water geyser in the network along with a mixer for cold water.I fel like five star hotel resident. All

this in an old DDA [delhi development authority] flat which I have remodelled.

6. I found a young 25 year old girl interior decorator fresh out of college -symbiosis who took up the challenge of modernising my flat.She completely changed the

look of the flat, added a sit out with glass frontage,changed all the lights into fancy ones, repainted all the walls with best paints with decent coiour combination,

Added very good modern furniture, almirahs, sofas, book cases. So good that I could not recognise my own house. There is talent in india.If given an oppurtunity,

and free hand they can turn out brilliant work.

Vgane ji

I have PMed you the interior decorators contact.

However a better idea is to float a free ad in sulekha or any other site and get quotes , see their work and take a call.

Best wishes

My recent jugaad to replace burnt underground cable with temporary cable overground and later burying the temporary cable in place of regular cable back fired. The

temporary buried cable started sparking and also blew off the circuit breaker of neighbour . lol.

So one more temporary fix digging out part of the sparking cable and rejoining it before reburying again.

My recent jugaad to replace burnt underground cable with temporary cable overground and later burying the temporary cable in place of regular cable back fired. The

temporary buried cable started sparking and also blew off the circuit breaker of neighbour . lol.

So one more temporary fix digging out part of the sparking cable and rejoining it before reburying again.

You need to be sure of the wire type before burying the wire. Not all wires can be buried. You may also use a conduit to sheath the wire. The joints must be water sealed.

You need to be sure of the wire type before burying the wire. Not all wires can be buried. You may also use a conduit to sheath the wire. The joints must be water sealed.
Thanks for info.

These workmen were pretty good. They joined each pair put a joint by welding , taped each pair, further enclosed in a sheath and burnt the ends to completely seal it to

make it water proof.
The issue is little more complicated. Most flats are using power more than the sanctioned load [with multipleAC, pumps,frig etc] so Circuit breakers often blow up. Cables

which are rated below the requirement are unable to take it.Ofcourse,the existing cable is not good for burial. But leaving it overground is more serious in rainy season.

I suppose one chooses the lesser evil.Lol

Thanks for info.

These workmen were pretty good. They joined each pair put a joint by welding , taped each pair, further enclosed in a sheath and burnt the ends to completely seal it to

make it water proof.
The issue is little more complicated. Most flats are using power more than the sanctioned load [with multipleAC, pumps,frig etc] so Circuit breakers often blow up. Cables

which are rated below the requirement are unable to take it.Ofcourse,the existing cable is not good for burial. But leaving it overground is more serious in rainy season.

I suppose one chooses the lesser evil.Lol

In the Juggad style, you OVERCOMPENSATE.
The original TATA trucks were rated 7ton, but the company knew that people will overload, so the cross members were strengthened to take up to 10tons. But then the operators started loading up to 15 Ton and then the trucks will break down on the side of the road.:Cry:

So if you need a 20 AMP wire you put 30 AMP wire.
When I was studying engineering, we were told to always expect the peak load capacity and then add 25% factor. It will increase the original cost but will work out better.:doh:

hi

i got elecrticity connection without DESU/BSES....with my electician with GREAT JUGGAD....

In the Juggad style, you OVERCOMPENSATE.
The original TATA trucks were rated 7ton, but the company knew that people will overload, so the cross members were strengthened to take up to 10tons. But then the operators started loading up to 15 Ton and then the trucks will break down on the side of the road.:Cry:

So if you need a 20 AMP wire you put 30 AMP wire.
When I was studying engineering, we were told to always expect the peak load capacity and then add 25% factor. It will increase the original cost but will work out better.:doh:
There was a time when designs were conservative and margins were added to take extra load.

See the ceiling fans of sixties and those today.

Older fans were rugged, the coils hardly got burnt out, failures almost unknown.

Now you hear often fans getting damaged on simple over voltage or catching fire often.

Very now and then we have to get them rewired or buy a new one.

Now life expectancy of a fan is not more than 2 years or so.

Yup, that is the problem with disposable goods from China. Use and throw every 2 years. Nothing is made of metal any more. All plastic or paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back