• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

'Food served on trains unfit for consumption'

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

The country’s top auditor on Friday criticised the catering services of the Indian Railways saying that food served in railways was unsuitable for human consumption and contaminated.

The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in its audit report on “Catering Services in Indian Railways” tabled in Parliament said several deficiencies in respect of quality of food served were noticed during the audit.

“Food articles unsuitable for human consumption, contaminated foodstuff, recycled foodstuff, packaged and shelf life expired packaged and bottled items, unauthorised brands of water bottles were offered for sale at stations,” said the report.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/624040/food-served-trains-unfit-consumption.html

I have been trying to post this message since yesterday. The site gives me an error message and boots me out of the site. I reported it to Praveenji, but he is not able to duplicate it. Sorry for the empty message.

Last edited:
Empty message! Anyway, the caption of the thread is 'ooraRindha ragasiyam'! :gossip:
hi
கரப்பான், எலிகளின் நடுவே தயாரிக்கப்படும் ரயில் உணவுகள்!: சி.ஏ.ஜி. அறிக்கையில் குற்றச்சாட்டு

this is the message,,,,,,

http://www.dinamani.com/india/2017/...-சிஏஜி-அறிக்கையில்-குற்றச்சாட்டு-2741744.html

Last edited:
That reminds me of the golden days of rail travel. My first trip to Mumbai (Bombay) was on October 2, 1964. In those days there was no direct train from Coimbatore to Mumbai. Only two carriages were reserved to Mumbai, which will be attached to Madras-Bombay express at Arkonam junction. This express will stop at Raichur junction for lunch, for which we have to purchase Coupons previous night itself. The Bombay express stopped for 30 minutes at Raichur. When the train reached the Station, passengers who had lunch coupons rushed to the VR dining hall. The hall was spacious and rows of plantain leaves were arranged neatly for serving food. The food served was tasty. A bell rang just 5 minutes before starting of the Train, to caution the passengers to take the train. This was an experience that stays with me. Quality of food both South Indian and North Indian menu was good. In olden days, food in Trains /Stations were simple and tasty. Most of the VR and NV restaurants were run by private contractors.
It is unfortunate that the food offered in super fast Rajdhani Express is awful. The present Commercialization of Railways for earning more money have done more damage to the system.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Fiftees were the golden age of railways as far as food is concerned.

The train journey was laid back and it stopped at big junctions for sufficient time to go to V and NV dining room at these junctions for fairly decent food. Upper class had

separate stand alone compartments with doors directly opening into platforms. One travelled 48 hours to go to chennai from delhi in trains hauled by steam engines.

That reminds me of the golden days of rail travel. My first trip to Mumbai (Bombay) was on October 2, 1964. In those days there was no direct train from Coimbatore to Mumbai. Only two carriages were reserved to Mumbai, which will be attached to Madras-Bombay express at Arkonam junction. This express will stop at Raichur junction for lunch, for which we have to purchase Coupons previous night itself. The Bombay express stopped for 30 minutes at Raichur. When the train reached the Station, passengers who had lunch coupons rushed to the VR dining hall. The hall was spacious and rows of plantain leaves were arranged neatly for serving food. The food served was tasty. A bell rang just 5 minutes before starting of the Train, to caution the passengers to take the train. This was an experience that stays with me. Quality of food both South Indian and North Indian menu was good. In olden days, food in Trains /Stations were simple and tasty. Most of the VR and NV restaurants were run by private contractors.
It is unfortunate that the food offered in super fast Rajdhani Express is awful. The present Commercialization of Railways for earning more money have done more damage to the system.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
hi

my maternal grand father used to be VR contractor in chengalpattu/tambaram station for many years...i know many tamil

brahmins used to be contractors...even my close relative was VR CONTRACTOR IN COIMBATORE JN...OLAVAKODE JN

VR WAS FAMOUS IN OLD DAYS FOR PALAKKKAD BRAHMINS....food was good.....even my friend's father was catering

manager in VIJAYAWADA JN...which caters mainly for delhi/howrah trains....

Last edited:
hi

my maternal grand father used to be VR contractor in chengalpattu/tambaram station for many years...i know many tamil

brahmins used to be contractors...even my close relative was VR CONTRACTOR IN COIMBATORE JN...OLAVAKODE JN

VR WAS FAMOUS IN OLD DAYS FOR PALAKKKAD BRAHMINS....food was good.....even my friend's father was catering

manager in VIJAYAWADA JN...which caters mainly for delhi/howrah trains....
When I was doing my "articles" in 1966-69 I used to visit Palghat and Olavakode on daily basis many days.Except for Ananda Bhavan in Gandhi Bazaar, no good Hotel was there in Palghat. Olavakode was a small village, and the Station was getting developed into a new Divisional Head quarters for Southern Railways. At that period the VR at Olavakode was the only restaurant catering to the needs of Railway Staff. Our peon Ezhuthachan will bring lunch for me in a good old "Tiffin Carrier" from the VR. In the evening before entraining for Coimbatore I used to take my snack (mostly அரிசி உப்புமா or இட்டிலி) from the Olavakode VR !
Yes. Almost all VRs in South Indian railways were run by Brahmins. And the NV restaurants were run by Spencer's. Only difference was RVs were simple, and the NVRs were spacious and had uniformed bearers. Being a strict vegetarian I used to order for Bread toast and pot coffee from NVRs. Many long distance trains had separate restaurant cars.
I am not sure whether such " luxury" still exist in Railway catering today.
When Railways were run by Companies the staff were provided comfortable quarters. Most of the divisions had Railway colonies with club house etc for staff. The trains were punctual and there was absolute discipline.
At the time of independence, the British left 20,000 "iron miles" in the form of Railways connecting all corners of the subcontinent.
What a change now !
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
When I was doing my "articles" in 1966-69 I used to visit Palghat and Olavakode on daily basis many days.Except for Ananda Bhavan in Gandhi Bazaar, no good Hotel was there in Palghat. Olavakode was a small village, and the Station was getting developed into a new Divisional Head quarters for Southern Railways. At that period the VR at Olavakode was the only restaurant catering to the needs of Railway Staff. Our peon Ezhuthachan will bring lunch for me in a good old "Tiffin Carrier" from the VR. In the evening before entraining for Coimbatore I used to take my snack (mostly அரிசி உப்புமா or இட்டிலி) from the Olavakode VR !
Yes. Almost all VRs in South Indian railways were run by Brahmins. And the NV restaurants were run by Spencer's. Only difference was RVs were simple, and the NVRs were spacious and had uniformed bearers. Being a strict vegetarian I used to order for Bread toast and pot coffee from NVRs. Many long distance trains had separate restaurant cars.
I am not sure whether such " luxury" still exist in Railway catering today.
When Railways were run by Companies the staff were provided comfortable quarters. Most of the divisions had Railway colonies with club house etc for staff. The trains were punctual and there was absolute discipline.
At the time of independence, the British left 20,000 "iron miles" in the form of Railways connecting all corners of the subcontinent.
What a change now !
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
hi

during britsh and after independence...the stretch between coimbatore to mettupalayam upto ooty...these narrow guages were

running by anglo indian....the station master/engine driver used to be anglo indians..very punctual and decent behavior...

nice nilagiris tea used to be available....now whole system messed up....thanks for modern independence attitude..

Lizard found in food served on Poorva Express

lizard-trainfood-ani.jpg.image.975.568.jpg

In a shocking incident, a lizard was found in a meal served on the Poorva Express. A passenger who ordered a vegetarian biryani found the reptile after consuming a few bites.

The DRM and other officials took cognizance of the issue, inquired about the health of the passenger and provided him with medicines.

The passenger has filed a complaint with the Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu through Twitter.

The passenger told the media that he was provided the medication really late.

"The thing which I regret the most is that I was given medicines really late. I was not given any medication for about four hours", he said.

The Divisional Railway Manager (DRM) of Danapur division Kishor Kumar condemned the incident and assured a detailed enquiry in the matter.

"It is a very unfortunate incident. A detailed enquiry would be conducted in the case and necessary action would be taken", Kumar said.

"A check-up was done in the Danapur Division and he was given medicine", he added.

Kumar further said that the department's main concern was the health of the passengers.

"Our concern was the health of all the passengers. All the passengers were attended and it was ensured that the passengers were given the
necessary health treatment," he said.

Kumar said that the incident would be taken as a feedback of the railway system to improve the passenger services.
Last week, a report by the Comptroller and Auditor General ( CAG) revealed that unpurified water was being used to make beverages, rats and cockroaches were found in the pantry and food was being left out in the open among a number of other things.

The Ministry of Railways took to Twitter to establish the fact that the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has been mandated to carry out the unbundling by creating a distinction primarily between food preparation and food distribution.

The New Catering policy, which was issued on 27 February, also states that IRCTC is responsible for all issues pertaining to setting up and operation of kitchen units and quality of food.

Read more at: http://www.theweek.in/news/india/lizard-found-in-food-served-on-poorva-express.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Director Shankar's effort in Anniyan to highlight the issues has not been fruitful.
It makes me wonder why can't we keep these places clean.

Toilets & food preparation areas are the ones that require to be the most hygienic.

But here they are the worst.

By nature we are selfish people. Our personal hygiene is superb but when it comes to community cleanliness we never bother. We always feel it is the responsibility of Government. Why can't we put collective efforts to keep our surroundings clean. I feel, of late the welfare activities of Government is also fading. Railways should view it as a welfare activity, similarly toll-free good roads are the responsibility of Government. Above all the ruling class view every welfare activity on the basis of caste and groupings. And they should not try to make money out of services.
I feel unfettered freedom is bane for effective governance.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Director Shankar's effort in Anniyan to highlight the issues has not been fruitful.
It makes me wonder why can't we keep these places clean.

Toilets & food preparation areas are the ones that require to be the most hygienic.

But here they are the worst.
hi

i agreed...even in USA...many indian houses are same condition as in india....but in any american family houses..generally both

places are very good....we never change in any country...

.. i agreed...even in USA...many indian houses are same condition as in india....
Don't be so harsh, T B S Sir!

All the Indian houses I saw in the U S of A were clean, because cleaning is much easier there, than in India. :)

Don't be so harsh, T B S Sir!

All the Indian houses I saw in the U S of A were clean, because cleaning is much easier there, than in India. :)
hi

i had more than 15 yrs experiences in USA...its my personal observation....in USA...TOILET IS CALLED AS REST ROOM...

many indian toilets are never been REST ROOM...its hard ...

.. i had more than 15 yrs experiences in USA...its my personal observation....in USA...TOILET IS CALLED AS REST ROOM...

many indian toilets are never been REST ROOM...its hard ...
Your group of friends is bad! :grouphug:

Your group of friends is bad! :grouphug:
hi madam,

many things are hard to digest....UNMAI ENDRUM KASAKKUM.....in many american rest room uses to read books...they keep

books in rest room....is it possible any indian rest room?.....becoz we got ATTITUDE from india...we never change so easily...

until by compulsion....it applies to me also....im not exempted...

Reading books in the rest room! Yeah! Let me share an interesting anecdote. :ranger:

Ram's sister lives in the U S of A for the past five decades and her husband reads books in the rest room. :cool:

Once, a new Mexican cleaning maid was awestruck! The toilet paper holder was empty and the new roll was yet to be replaced.

She asked my sister in law, for what purpose those old books were kept in the rest room! :lol:

Even in india , there are many who read newspapers in the toilets.

Seniors have health conditions requiring a lot of time on the pot.

They end up browsing the days paper during that time.

Books of course are not easy to support on two hands.lol

The rest rooms in cinema theatres in mutiplexes are normally very good. Airport in Metros have also equally good rest rooms.

Homes in india do not rate very highly as regards toilets.

They are only just functional.

Most often they get clogged causing misery.

Only indian sanitation workers can fix them-it is a special skill.

Some lose their lives trying to fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back