• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Melukote, the Karnataka town famed for temples and tanks and its unforgettable puliyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Falcon

[h=1]Melukote, the Karnataka town famed for temples and tanks and its unforgettable puliyogare[/h]
Cheluvanarayanaswamy%20Temple-compressed.jpg

The Cheluvarayaswami Temple

Perched atop the rocky ridge of the Sahyadri ranges, Melukote is famed for its temples, tanks, Iyengar puliyogare and the Academy of Sanskrit Research.

The compelling aroma of puliyogare (tamarind rice) assailed my senses as I sauntered along the narrow, winding lanes of the temple town of Melukote in Karnataka. I stumbled upon Iyengar priests chanting Sanskrit slokas and reading religious books seated in their cool verandahs.

I found women in their traditional nine-yard saris drawing intricate kolas in front of their houses at the break of dawn. The typical Iyengar touch was perceptible in the architecture of the simple and humble dwellings of orthodox Hindus whose ancestors have resided here for centuries.

Perched atop the rocky ridge of the Sahyadri ranges, Melukote is famed for its temples, tanks, Iyengar puliyogare and the Academy of Sanskrit Research.
The 12th century Cheluvarayaswami Temple, here flaunts a rose-coloured gopuram and lions’ heads facing north, south, east and west and ornate carvings on the pillars in the cloister-area surrounding the temple. Melukote is intricately linked with the famous Vaishnava saint and philosopher, Ramanujam, who established the temple and its associated monasteries here. He is said to have recovered the lost idol of the main deity.

Read more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-tanks-and-its-unforgettable-puliyogare-54587

hi

thanks...my friend got appointment in the academy of sanskrit library in melukotte....i heard that its iyengar's town...only

one smartha family there.....many are migrated from srirangam during mysore maharaja period...still tamil dominated

vadagalais are there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back