• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gynaecologists are doctors, not nannies

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

She panicked when she thought she might be pregnant. She couldn’t tell her parents; had heard horror stories about doctors. “I was too scared to even buy a DIY pregnancy kit,” says the unmarried, final year college student. Those harrowing days were finally dispelled with the arrival of a late period.

Not every story ends so happily. In a country where sex is taboo and virginity is prized, unmarried women who have to visit the gynecologist often end up receiving large lashings of judgment.

Are you married? Are you having sex with your boyfriend? Do your parents know? Beta, girls from good families don’t do these wrong things.

Sometimes it isn’t even about sex but ‘protecting’ virginity.

Gayathri, who asks that I use only her first name, talks of going to a posh Delhi hospital for an invasive vaginal examination for a diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome and being ‘advised’ by the lab technician to opt for just a superficial examination. The technician was worried that the invasive test could rupture her hymen. “He was trying to be nice,” she says wryly.

In a country where sex education is practically absent and parents are loathe to have that conversation with their children, the result of a disapproving encounter between patient and medical professional is not humiliation so much as the patient’s health.

Most women, married or not, will only see a gynecologist when they are pregnant -- or trying to be. Our bodies, vessels for delivering new generations of babies, are deemed worthy of a trip to the doctor only when we’re fulfilling our roles as mothers. For most – even those with the means to healthcare -- the idea of a routine checkup or health screening is alien.

Yet, India has 132,000 new cases of cervical cancer a year and WHO estimates that by 2020, 1.24 lakh women will be affected by breast cancer. Can we really afford to be squeamish?

“If you’re young, you’re shamed for having sex. If you’re older, you’re shamed for not having kids,” says Paromita Vohra, film-maker, writer and founder of Agents of Ishq that aims to create positive conversations about sex, love and desire.

There are exceptions. A crowd-sourced list maintained by Delhi-based activist Amba Azaad has a directory of trustworthy, non-judgmental gynaecologists.

Elsewhere, Haiyya, an NGO has an on-ground campaign and online petition for the right to safe medical services for everyone, regardless of marital status.

The next step, says campaign manager Mrinalini Dayal: getting doctors to agree to various ‘commandments’ including respecting patient confidentiality and treating adult unmarried women as capable of making informed decisions about their bodies.

It is not an unreasonable demand. Doctors need to be reminded they are medical practitioners, not the moral police.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/colum...not-nannies/story-eWn8NUS2Pc4viVjQh58PpJ.html

Out here we dont really have this problems as much..doctors just treat patient without getting too moral police cos if patient complains we are in for it from Ministry of Health.

In fact all cases of unwed pregnancies are considered high risk cases becos of lack of support from family and society..so its compulsory for the doctor to inform the government ante natal services about an unwed mother so that a nurse would be sent to make a home visit to make sure the unwed mother follows up her pregnancy and baby is cared for.

Out here we dont really have this problems as much..doctors just treat patient without getting too moral police cos if patient complains we are in for it from Ministry of Health.

In fact all cases of unwed pregnancies are considered high risk cases becos of lack of support from family and society..so its compulsory for the doctor to inform the government ante natal services about an unwed mother so that a nurse would be sent to make a home visit to make sure the unwed mother follows up her pregnancy and baby is cared for.
In many countries that would be a death sentence for the woman.

In many countries that would be a death sentence for the woman.

I studied in India..I have seen doctors behaving as rude moral police back then..may be its better now..manners and proffesionalism must have improved...seriously I dont get it why some need to act as moral police as if they are faultless.

As a doctor I found sex workers as extremely polite patients.
I usually advise them safe sex practices but never find fault with their choice of profession after all why do we need to moral police them when corrupt politicians are given VIP treatment?

Why no doc in India plays moral police to a corrupt politician?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back