• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The making of a god: How a statue outside a Kerala hospital turned into a deity over

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Falcon

In India, we already have more places for worship than schools, colleges and universities.......

And now..... !!

Wish their prayers be answered..... sarve jana suchino bhavantu....

The making of a god: How a statue outside a Kerala hospital turned into a deity over time

DC2GMOUUMAA_Kwb.jpg:large

People pray to the sculpture of a mother breastfeeding her baby installed in Medical College campus, even the sculptor is surprised.

When you are desperately seeking divine intervention, you begin to put your faith in anything you can gain solace from. And in Thiruvananthapuram, the object of faith for scores of patients and their families visiting the Sree Avittom Tirunal (SAT) Hospital is the familiar grey stone statue of a mother breastfeeding her baby, created by artist Aryanad Rajendran.

Installed on the road near the entrance of the SAT hospital, this work of art has transformed into a deity with people offering candles, agarbattis, payasam (kheer)and milk. Some other throw coins and prayers for their beloveds undergoing treatment in the hospital.

For Geetha, who is from Kadakkal, it is irrelevant that the statue does not represent any known religious figure. “You see faith is all that matters. Even if we worship a stone, it will get supernatural power within days. Faith can transform a stone to deity. After I prayed to the mother, we see her as amma-mother. There is a big improvement in my daughter’s health condition since I prayed to amma. Why would this many people pray here if it was mere superstition?”

Read more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-kerala-hospital-turned-deity-over-time-64018

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignorance, superstition, and feeling impotent, the desperation of the masses create these false gods.
The "so called" leaders mislead the masses to enrich themselves. Because the truth is unglamorous, and masses would not follow it as it is rigorous. Masses want a quick fix and are not ready for reality.

By the way, the heading is misleading.

How can you make god?

Kabir Das says:

[FONT=&quot]Pahan puje hari mile to mai puju pahar, tate ye chaki bhali pees khaye sansar.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Meaning: We worship idols made from stone to reach god, I will worship a mountain and get a bigger god.
[/FONT]
It is better to worship,[FONT=&quot] home flour mill (chakki) that gives us the flour to the world?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Even in personal life, we do things for "show". For instance, I am losing faith in Temple visits, and begging for favors from "gods". I would not go out in society and advertise that belief. It is the fear of being laughed at or getting into a long drawn confrontation.

Last edited:
So what do you think about the other gods?

auh ji,

I think it is common. :)

This is by கவிஞர் கண்ணதாசன் in பார்த்தால் பசிதீரும்
……….
தெய்வம் என்றால் அது தெய்வம் - அது
சிலை என்றால் வெறும் சிலை தான்
தெய்வம் என்றால் அது தெய்வம் - அது
சிலை என்றால் வெறும் சிலை தான்
உண்டென்றால் அது உண்டு
இல்லை என்றால் அது இல்லை
இல்லை என்றால் அது இல்லை

உள்ளம் என்பது ஆமை - அதில்
உண்மை என்பது ஊமை

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

நல்லவர்க்கெல்லாம் சாட்சிகள் ரெண்டு.....

ஒன்று மனசாட்சி.......ஒன்று தெய்வத்தின் சாக்ஷி அம்மா.....

நம்பிக்கை வைத்து கல்லையும் பார்த்தால் தெய்வத்தின் காட்சியம்மா....

அது தான் தெய்வத்தின் சாக்ஷி அம்மா...

நதி வெள்ளம் காய்ந்து விட்டால் ....

நதி செய்த குற்றம் இன்றி....

விதி செய்த குற்றம் அம்மா...

Ignorance, superstition, and feeling impotent, the desperation of the masses create these false gods.
The "so called" leaders mislead the masses to enrich themselves. Because the truth is unglamorous, and masses would not follow it as it is rigorous. Masses want a quick fix and are not ready for reality.

I do not agree with the de-hyphenation of masses from "classes" or "elite" or non-masses, whatever it be.

The followers of Rajneesh or Sri Satya Sai were by no means **mere masses**.

Their ignorance, superstition and desperation was in no way superior to the desire of the "masses" to create an entity that they felt will alleviate their (the non-masses category of people) real/imagined suffering.

There is nothing like False God. To each, his God will fulfill the aspiration of his followers.

Reminds me of a story I studied when I was a young boy.

The Israelites after crossing the red sea over to the other side, following their release from egyptian captivity, were waiting for Moses to come down from Mt Sinai.

But Moses took a long time and the Israelites lost patience.

So they made a golden calf and worshipped it saying, 'this is the god that brought us out of captivity in egypt'

Then Moses indeed came down, got angry and what followed after then is history.

... or so they think and believe.

There is nothing like False God. To each, his God will fulfill the aspiration of his followers.

I think Auhji is right.
But I think it is our duty to enlighten.
Which "god" has fulfilled any aspiration of anyone in real life. They may sincerely perceive it that way, but that alone is not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back