• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Visit to temples

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Raghavan

My brother's wife died at the age of 62 last week. My brother is not interested in any kriyas. I want to go Rameshwaram and perform Shradha for my parents. This was planned about 6 months back. Last year I had been to Gaya for the same purpose. Now can I visit Rameshwaram to perform shradha or is there waiting period. Also can I visit temples now as I plan to visit Tirupathi and Madurai temples on the way. I want a reply to plan my programme

S Raghavan

I hope some traditionalist will post a more helpful answer.

Almost all Hindus refrain from visiting the temples (at least th South Indian. especially from Tamil Nadu do) for one year from the date on which the death has occurred or from the date of performance of the Gruhayagna (Gregya)-கிரேக்கியம் ,the Thirteenth Day ceremony.
This is an erroneous interpretation of the Sastras, without an understanding the thirteenth day ceremony,Gruha Yagnya, also called as Subasweekaram.

The word ‘Gruhayagnam’ means the performance of Yagnas at Home.

Householders are not sanctioned to perform the Daily Karmas,Duties, for thirteen days from the date of death in the family.This sanction excludes Sandhyavandan/Sandhyavandana.
On the thirteenth day. a Purification ceremony is performed at Home( Punyahavachanam)and people are asked to visit temples.

If one is purified to perform Yagnas(Gruhayagnas), it is illogical to proscribe a visit to the Temples.
( one also finds, as I see a comedy in this, many people visit temples refraining during this period except those on Hill Tops;if one can visit a temple, why on earth should one not visit a Temple on the Hill tops?)

The other term, Subhasweekara means ,literally,’inviting the Auspicious’.

Once when you invite auspiciousness to visit you, you can visit temples as well.

People must remember that the Vedas do not mention visiting temples at all, though
Time that we understand the Karmas and act accordingly with out following some one blindly.

https://ramanan50.wordpress.com/2013/05/11/wrong-practices-hinduism-temples-death/

Those who follow sAstram don't visit hill temples for one year.

But after 'Shubam', visits to other temples is allowed.

About performing srAddham, Gopalan Sir can give the apt reply. I shall send a PM to him.

After subham you can go to Rameswaram to do sraatham. you should not do any archana in any temple for one year.
After this subham you are permitted to do nithya karmas like oupaasanam, ishti, brahma yagnam; reciting vedas daily; panchayathna pooja; teaching to students which are the nithya karmas for brahmins.

on those days you have to walk a long distance to visit temples like madurai and thirupathi .and you have to do sodakumpam daily for one year. in your own house. Due to Aaagama vidhi to temple dieties you should not do any archana or abhishekam
to the temple diety for one year. you can go -have darshan and come back. that is all.

people doing nava aavarana pooja in houses for devi are not permitted to do this nava aavarana pooja and chandi homam and srividhya homam in their own houses. for one year. now a days we are not doing sodakumpam daily which is impossible .

Respected Gopalan Sir,

Is a visit to hill temple allowed for one year?

In my family, we don't visit Thirupathi or other hill temples for one year.

I thank all members for the reply. I forgot to add that my brother stays in Mumbai and I stai in Hyderabad. My brother does no believe in Hindu rituals and did not perform kriya. It was in this context I had asked for guidance

S Raghavan

My understanding:

What is important is sapindeekaranam on the 13th day.

The confusion comes because there is a provision that sapindeekaranam can be performed on the 13th day or on the varshaaptheekam day when the first anniversary is performed.

If the sapindeekaranam has been completed on the 13th day, subham can be performed following that and people can visit temples. If the choice had been to perform sapindeekaranam at the time of anniversary, one should not visit the temples till that is completed.

Sapindeekaranam involves joining of the departed soul in the pitruloka with other pitrs.

Raghavanji,
It all depends on how many people you ask, ultimately you will get the answer you want. That is the beauty of Hinduism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back