• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brinjal recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually I hate eating brinjal (as a sidedish). But, I like to taste it in combinations with onion or in stuffed masala like that. Why dont this thread paves way to new brinjal dishes...

BRINJAL CURRY:

Ingredients:
round lump of small size- tamarind
150 g - cashew nuts
½ kg - small purple brinjals
1 ½ cup - onion, sliced finely
1 cup - tomato, chopped (optional)
1/3 cup - bengal gram (chana) dal
2 tsp - black gram (urad) dal
10 to 15 - dry red chillies
2 tsp - coriander seeds
½ tsp - fenugreek seeds
3 tbsp - dry coconut (copra), grated
2 tbsp - roasted peanuts
½ tsp - asafoetida powder
4 tbsp - oil
2 pieces, 2 cm each - cinnamon
few curry leaves
salt to taste

Prep:
  1. Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water.
  2. Soak cashew nuts in hot water for 1 hour.
  3. Cut the brinjals into quarters, length way.
  4. Roast all the ingredients from Bengal gram dal to dry coconut, using a little oil.
  5. Cool and grind to slightly coarse paste with peanuts and asafoetida.
  6. Heat the oil in a kadai. Add cinnamon.
  7. After few seconds, add onion. Fry till onion is golden brown.
  8. Add the ground paste and fry well.
  9. Add curry leaves and tomato. Cook till tomato is soft.
  10. Add brinjals and drained cashew nuts.
  11. Add salt and 1 ½ cup of water. Cover and simmer till brinjals are ½ cooked.
  12. Squeeze the soaked tamarind and extract the juice. Add the juice to the kadai.
  13. Simmer without cover till the brijal is cooked and the gravy is thick.
  14. Serve hot with steamed rice, poori or chapathi
Note: Without adding water, we can also use this as Curry sidedish for rice. (since cashews are added it will be yummy). Its an alternate for my sweetest Stuffed brinjal fry.

Usually I hate eating brinjal (as a sidedish). But, I like to taste it in combinations with onion or in stuffed masala like that. Why dont this thread paves way to new brinjal dishes...

BRINJAL CURRY:

Sri Dirgadasan,

Was it from your swayampaakam experience? Good.

Though Brinjal is told to be escalating "Pitha", I like the brinjal 'mezhukkuperatti"- a sort of brinjal fry with onions ,half fried in coconut oil .. it will smell sweet and taste very much, good side dish as a poriyal type.

Then comes the brinjal 'Thuvayal"- with ulundu,(blackgram)" ,asafoetida,tamarind, salt, all slightly fried ,and ground to paste...
really yummy .. with Dosai and Idly,pongal( in place of dry chatni.)

" Let tasty foods come from all sides"--(apologies for the adaptation of famous Rig Veda verse"

Greetings

BRINJAL CURRY:

Ingredients:
round lump of small size- tamarind
150 g - cashew nuts
½ kg - small purple brinjals
1 ½ cup - onion, sliced finely
1 cup - tomato, chopped (optional)
1/3 cup - bengal gram (chana) dal
2 tsp - black gram (urad) dal
10 to 15 - dry red chillies
2 tsp - coriander seeds
½ tsp - fenugreek seeds
3 tbsp - dry coconut (copra), grated
2 tbsp - roasted peanuts
½ tsp - asafoetida powder
4 tbsp - oil
2 pieces, 2 cm each - cinnamon
few curry leaves
salt to taste

Prep:
  1. Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water.
  2. Soak cashew nuts in hot water for 1 hour.
  3. Cut the brinjals into quarters, length way.
  4. Roast all the ingredients from Bengal gram dal to dry coconut, using a little oil.
  5. Cool and grind to slightly coarse paste with peanuts and asafoetida.
  6. Heat the oil in a kadai. Add cinnamon.
  7. After few seconds, add onion. Fry till onion is golden brown.
  8. Add the ground paste and fry well.
  9. Add curry leaves and tomato. Cook till tomato is soft.
  10. Add brinjals and drained cashew nuts.
  11. Add salt and 1 ½ cup of water. Cover and simmer till brinjals are ½ cooked.
  12. Squeeze the soaked tamarind and extract the juice. Add the juice to the kadai.
  13. Simmer without cover till the brijal is cooked and the gravy is thick.
  14. Serve hot with steamed rice, poori or chapathi
Note: Without adding water, we can also use this as Curry sidedish for rice. (since cashews are added it will be yummy). Its an alternate for my sweetest Stuffed brinjal fry.
Sri Durga , you are not only updating on spiritual, rituals and bhakthi maarga subjects but also in recipies,cooking. You can be named as sakala kalaa daasan. Your wife should be a gifted soul.

Self Introduction

Dear Everyone,
I introduce myself as B.Krishnamurthy.I spent my first 20years of my life
in Thiruvanaikoil, near Tiruchirapalli, TAMILNADU. After graduating from St.Josephs' college, I left for NAGPUR where my maternal uncle was residing.I entered Government of India service in the year 1954 in P&T AUDIT OFFICE, NAGPUR.IN 1969 I opted for ACCOUNTS SERVICE
when Accounting work was separated from AUDIT DEPARTMENT and the responsibility of maintaining Accounts was taken over by the P7T department.WHILE in AUDIT DEPT, I had passed "Subordinate Accounts
Service" (SAS) examination.I became a Class I officer in 1979 in
the DEPATRMENT OF TELECOMMUNICATION,Govt of India and retired
in the year 1991 as DIRECTOR (Telecom ACCOUNTS). I was reemployed as "consultant' from September1991to August,1992 and thereafter on a few occasions as I had done lot of initial work both at the time of formation of
"MAHANAGAR TELEPHONE NIGAM" IN THE YEAR 1986 and before formation of "BSNL".
I have four daughters and one son.All are married and settled in life.
My daughters are in INDIA.MY son is in USA.I am now staying with him.
I never had opportunity to work in TAMILNADU. I had settled in NANGANALLUR,CHENNAI,600061
THE LIFE IN USA IS VERY TOUGH FOR AGED PERSONS LIKE ME.Both my son and daughter -in-law will go for JOB.Till they return one has to be all alone in the house. Even after coming from JOB they will have their own work and priorities.The time we spend together will be very less on working days.

You can go for walk for some time, spend time in the Library,Listen to MUSIC, watch TV and spend considerable time sitting before the computer.WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY,HEALTHY&PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR,2010
With MY BEST WISHES to ONE AND ALL
B.Krishnamurthy

Sri.Krishnamoorthy Sir,

"THE LIFE IN USA IS VERY TOUGH FOR AGED PERSONS LIKE ME.Both my son and daughter -in-law will go for JOB.Till they return one has to be all alone in the house. Even after coming from JOB they will have their own work and priorities.The time we spend together will be very less on working days."

Sir, when your son and daughter-in-law go to work, you have the house for yourself; mainly, the kitchen for yourself. You can cook them a nice, hot dinner while they are away. They will love it! That will keep you very busy too. Just a suggestion.

Cheers!

Hmmmmm..... Kitchen is the best place to innovate all our new ideas.

Dear Suryakasyapa ji
Some years back, I read a story about brinjal. It was stated that Brinjal was a king by name "VAARTHAGAN", who worshipped only siva and attained mukthi. So, shiva has honoured him by accepting him as naivedya and vishnu rejects him. I dont know how much this is true. But am devotee of sakthi na. So, in combo I will work out. I hate brinjal as such (to pacify Vishnu), at the sametime try brinjal with other vegetables and then eat (to pacify shiva). Hahahah...

Teach me how to do the "Mezhugupuratti". Also, I ate thuvayal many times. But never tried myself. My mom will char the brinjal by holding it in a stick and then grind it as a paste. It will be superb with vadaam (especially javvarisi vadam and vengaya vadam).

Dear Sundaram Uncle

This is tooooooooooo much. You know the nature of dog. It will sip a drop of water from a stream, then walk along it, then again other sip... (ODARA THANNILA NAI VAYA VECHA MARI). Am very similar to that. I dont know anything in real. But I dont feel for that. Coz, I have interest in learning all the things. (You compared me with sakalakala.... ahaahahahah; nenachale siripu siripa varudhu uncle)

Dear Krishnamoorthy Uncle,

Enjoy every second of life. Dont think that you are alone. The system is with you. You chat with all of us in daytime and also go nearby places. If everything is boring, as my raghy uncle suggested try new dishes and if it really works out well, share the same and surprise your son and in-law. We all are here with you uncle.

Dear all

Everywhere it has been stated that "NALA BHAAGAM" and nowhere stated as "NALINI BHAAGAM". So, we people are the chief chefs. Be proud of it.

Pranams

there is another form of kathrikka recipe we call 'shobha kathrikka'.

kathrikka is cut into normal one to two inch pieces, sauteed till half cooked. then there is this powder made of rice and spices, which i cannot fathom. it is mixed with the kathrikka, and comes out spicy hot and yummy.

folks who had this and wanted children conceived within weeks. hence this kathrikka is named after our friend who used to cook this. i can say it worked for us .)

krishnamoorthy,

i understand your predicament.

as raghy has suggested, one way to deal with it, is to get busy around the house: cooking for the son/dil is one way of delighting them.

get into involving in the internet. time can pass very pleasantly.

also cleaning up the house, laundry and a whole lot of household work can not only be satisfying, but keeps one healthy and brisk.

in addition taking walks, and depending on where you stay, go to the library, volunteer in the hospital, teach english to new immigrants etc there are lots of ways to spend the time.

i agree that this is new to you. my mother, could never adjust.

the other option is to live with your daughters, if your circumstances permit. daughters are kinder and more sympathetic than dil, as a rule.

the worst thing is to feel frustrated and angry. this will only result in tension within yourself (which can cause grievous health problems) and within the family.

if there are grandchildren, it is even better. you get a chance to read books to them, which even the most possessive mother will not resist.

best wishes.

hi folks
my favorite vegetable kattrikkai/bringal/egg plant...we make
whole small kattrikkai with masala stuffed and boiled in oil...
very yummy ..yummy..its stem with green covered very tasty..
another kathrikkai mezhukku varatti...with nice small pinchu
karrikkai with onion/masala powder...boiled in oil...still
water comes in mouth...this is very famous in kerala/palakkad
type...murungakai sambar with katthirikkai curry..nice combination..
pakka sappattu raman things...romba besha irukkum...

regards
tbs

Dear Everyone,
I introduce myself as B.Krishnamurthy.I spent my first 20years of my life
in Thiruvanaikoil, near Tiruchirapalli, TAMILNADU. After graduating from St.Josephs' college, I left for NAGPUR where my maternal uncle was residing.I entered Government of India service in the year 1954 in P&T AUDIT OFFICE, NAGPUR.IN 1969 I opted for ACCOUNTS SERVICE
when Accounting work was separated from AUDIT DEPARTMENT and the responsibility of maintaining Accounts was taken over by the P7T department.WHILE in AUDIT DEPT, I had passed "Subordinate Accounts
Service" (SAS) examination.I became a Class I officer in 1979 in
the DEPATRMENT OF TELECOMMUNICATION,Govt of India and retired
in the year 1991 as DIRECTOR (Telecom ACCOUNTS). I was reemployed as "consultant' from September1991to August,1992 and thereafter on a few occasions as I had done lot of initial work both at the time of formation of
"MAHANAGAR TELEPHONE NIGAM" IN THE YEAR 1986 and before formation of "BSNL".
I have four daughters and one son.All are married and settled in life.
My daughters are in INDIA.MY son is in USA.I am now staying with him.
I never had opportunity to work in TAMILNADU. I had settled in NANGANALLUR,CHENNAI,600061
THE LIFE IN USA IS VERY TOUGH FOR AGED PERSONS LIKE ME.Both my son and daughter -in-law will go for JOB.Till they return one has to be all alone in the house. Even after coming from JOB they will have their own work and priorities.The time we spend together will be very less on working days.

You can go for walk for some time, spend time in the Library,Listen to MUSIC, watch TV and spend considerable time sitting before the computer.WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY,HEALTHY&PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR,2010
With MY BEST WISHES to ONE AND ALL
B.Krishnamurthy[/QUOTE )

hi Krishnamurthy sir,
im from USA...i know your feelings...i live here more than a decade..
here life is like that...like 5 days naukari..1 day grocery..1 day
laundary...this is called american life. some guys work 7 days...
everybody busy to survive...but u can try volunteer in local temples/
senior citizen group activities...here the country can provide
more volunteer activities....many elderly ppl engaged in community
activities...any way HAPPY & PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR....

regards
tbs
hi

BRINJAL DHAHI BHAJI

Its an northie chat item, which I like more. The brinjal well-known for its Pitha generation in our body system well be equalised by adding thick curd with it. In this way, it is healthy also.

Ingredients:
1 Big Brinjal (6 small bringals will also do)
3 Green Chillies cut into small pieces
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Oil 1 tsp
Urad dhal 1 tsp
Coriander leaves
Curry leaves
Yogurt or thick curd 4 cups

Method

1. Apply oil on the brinjal and allow it to bake in 350 Degrees in the Oven for about 20 minutes. Keep it for some more time if the brinjal is not soft enough to peel the skin.
I hate using Oven, so I did it with normal pan itself. It will take sometime. Thats all. The mark is to get brownie brinjal. Add oil and fry it continously. If you are much lazy (my own technique), just smear oil over brinjal and put it in cooker. Just wait for the pressure to create. Dont put whistle over it. (Might be 5-7 mins; just turn-off the gas and wait for the pressure to reduce. It will bake in the heat itself)

2. Meantime put oil in the pan, put the mustard seeds. After the seed splutter add urad dhal, green chillies and curry leaves.
3. Fry the above till the dhal turn brown colour. Remove from stove and put it in a vessel.
4. Add the Yogurt and salt to the above.
5. Peel the skin of brinjal after taking off from the oven.
6. Add the pealed brinjal to the mixture and smash it till the brinjal gets mixed up well with the yogurt. Add the coriander leaves to it.
7. Serve it with Rice.

I have never tried with yoghurt. I tried with thick curd only...

It will be simply superb chat. You can also mix a paste of ginger-garlic-onion, which adds extra flavour and taste for it. It can be used like our sambar, rasam for rice and also simply as a chat.

Pranams

one thing i forgot.

when i slice the thin long brinjals, i microwave (5 minutes per brinjal). this get it a drier, and make the brinjal fry less pulpy.

STUFFED KADALAI BRINJAL

Ingredients
  1. Small Purple Brinjals – 4
  2. Oil – 2 tbsp
  3. Roasted Pottu Kadala – 1/2 Cup
  4. Coconut Scrapes – 1/2 Cup
  5. Chilly Powder – to taste
  6. Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
  7. Cumin Powder (Jeerakam) – 1/4 tsp
  8. Salt – to taste
  9. Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
  10. Water – 1/2 cup
Preparation:

Mash and prepare a paste of all the ingredients leaving items 1 and 2. (Except brnjal and onion) (You can even blend or grind to get good mash). Cut the brinjal (to slits) to 4 pieces so that you can stuff the paste inside it. Stuff the mixture into it. Heat oil in a pan and add the brinjals. The remaining stuffs may also be added as covering material (mel mavu). Cover and cook in low heat by slightly changing their sides. You can also sprinkle some water to get it baked well. Its a time consuming process and will take 20-30 min. But the final product will be tastier so that we will even dont think of time and gas wastage.

Note: If you are sprinkling water for baking purposes, then add a spoon of "Kadalai mavu" which will turn the whole curry crispier and also absorbs all the excess oil in kadai.

கத்தரிக்காய் வாங்கி பாத் பக்குவம் சொல்லவில்லையே?

கத்தரிக்காய் வேர்கடலை கூட்டு செய்வதில்லையோ?

கத்தரிக்காய் பொறித்த கூட்டு, கத்தரிக்காய் புளிப்பு கூட்டு...

Cheers!

hmmmm. That and all boring uncle. Everyone knew them hopefully. We have try different different dishes and explore the kitchen. Summa puratti poda vendaam? Eppa paaru indha ammamigal araicha mavaie namalum thirumba araikalamo???

Really? How many of you know about 'கத்தரிக்காய் வேர்கடலை கூட்டு'?

Uncle I dont know about maximum people. Anyhow its very common here in TN. we can get kadalai very often here and we will do that. Also whenever kathirkkai kootu is decided, people will add verkadalai to increase the tase (mainly the quantity). It is also a major item in bhojanams like Mangali pondugal.

Pranams

I, for one, do not know this recipe and have not even heard of it. Could Raghy or Durgadasan please post a recipe?

Thanks

Vanaja

dear sabesan mama,
now this is for you i post here....sunkan

BRINJAL RASAVAANGI
[FONT=&quot]Brinjal 500gm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One cup of tuvar dhall[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4tablespoon of coriander seeds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 to 8 red chillies[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp of chana dhall[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A small pinch of hing or perungayam[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ coconut scraped[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A small lemon size tamarind soaked and juice extracted[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ tsp turmeric powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ tsp mustard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ tsp urad dhall[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A few curry leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 to 5 spoons of cooking oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt to taste.

Method :
Cook toovar dal with some turmeric and hing in 2½ cups of water and keep it aside.
Fry coriander seeds, red chillies, channa dal, and hing in 2 tsp of oil and wet grind the above mixture with coconut, you can add a little curry leaves too it enhances the taste
Fry brinjal in 2 tsp of oil until it becomes soft, now add turmeric, salt and the tamarind juice
and allow it to cook for a few minutes. Now add the fresh ground masala and let it cook for 10minutes and now you can add the cooked tuvar dhall and cook for another 10minutes..
Heat some oil, splutter mustard, then add hing, urad dal, and curry leaves and garnish this to the rasavangi.
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back