• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

My children have no default religion: 2 Kerala leaders refuse to fill in column in sc

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Falcon

Is following a religion is a matter by birth or by choice…?

“All religions lead to the same God, and all deserve the same respect. Anyone who chooses a religion is also choosing a collective way for worshipping and sharing the mysteries. Nevertheless, that person is the only one responsible for his or her actions along the way and has no right to shift responsibility for any personal decisions on to that religion.”

Paulo Coelho, Like The Flowing River

My children have no default religion: 2 Kerala leaders refuse to fill in column in school form

With blank columns, 2 Kerala leaders say their kids will choose their own religion as adults

At a time when people are judged on the basis of their religious affiliations, two Kerala leaders have demonstrated that there is an alternative, by refusing to give a ‘default’ religion to their children. On the school applications of the children of CPI(M) MP MB Rajesh and Congress MLA VT Balram, the religion column shows a very conspicuous blank.

The two young leaders took to Facebook on Thursday to announce proudly that their children had been admitted to government schools and the column asking for the child’s religion had been left blank.

VT Balram, the Congress MLA from Thrithala, wrote, “As part of public education, I have enrolled my son Advaith Manav into the Arikkad Government LP school near my house. In the column that asked for his religion and caste, we said he doesn’t have any. When he is an adult, he is free to choose his religion.”

In MB Rajesh’s case, this is apparently the second time that he has chosen to not fill the religion column for his children.
He wrote on Facebook, “I have written 'no' in the column for religion and caste. I am proud that I have done this at a time when the state is celebrating the 100th anniversary of Panthibhojanam.”

Panthibhojanam, or a community feast, was a historic event that unraveled in Kerala 100 years ago, in which members from various castes were brought together for a feast.

“This ‘Pravesanolsavam’, through which thousands of toddlers take their first step into the world of letters and knowledge, is the biggest and most popular festival of the state - a festival of knowledge that can be celebrated by everyone irrespective of the barrier of caste or religion,” he said.

Read more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-leaders-refuse-fill-column-school-form-62983

Last edited by a moderator:
there are at least 2 intelligent, wise, sensibly thinking human beings in india. something to cheer about.

Yes.
If he was going to gain some benefit by specifying it might have been different. Then again being the child of an MLA is a benefit on its own.

Rumor has it that Kiran Bedi's children got admission in Scheduled Tribe (I have no verifiable proof).

https://www.quora.com/How-did-Kiran...College-for-an-MBBS-under-the-Northeast-quota

Harilal Gandhi wanted to go to England for higher studies and hoped to become a barrister as his father had once been. His father firmly opposed this, believing that a Western-style education would not be helpful in the struggle against British rule over India. Eventually rebelling against his father's decision, in 1911 Harilal renounced all family ties.

Parents decision for their children has consequences, sometimes it can backfire.

Last edited:
I think this is a good step. Religion, caste etc. are not mandatory.

If you have seen Amir Khan's PK movie, these identifiers are not stamped on a baby's bottom when it is born. Not even mother tongue.

Governments need not bother to 'know' about a person's religion.
Leaving that entry blank for a government form is fine.
Drawing conclusion from this that religion is bad and unneeded is not wise ....

:thumb:

a-TB Ji,

Government of India have launched schemes to award scholarship based on 'Merit-cum-Means' to students belonging to minority communities.....

To extend such financial assistance to the deserving candidates....information regarding community.. religion etc needs to be furnished....

If the Government is really interested in promoting the standard of living of minority communities in all aspects, it may need such data....

And all political parties are after this..... whether they are achieving it or not is a different question.....:)

Above all, is it okay for one to be officially non-religious......??

One needs to undergo lot of bureaucratic tangles in obtaining a Birth Certificate and in executing a 'Last will and testament' without mention of religion and caste.

Of course there may be few longing for freedom from 'Religion'.

P.S: To avail certain benefits, one needs to submit claim with necessary certificates proving his eligibility which includes community....
Of course, I agree that schools are meant for education and not for indoctrination.

Last edited by a moderator:

What you wrote here is the exact opposite of how the Indian state functions.

Religious information is mandatory in a govt form if you want to receive privileged treatment from the government because the govts run all sorts of schemes favoring christians, muslims, and other minorities - basically anyone who is not a Hindu. You can refer to the secularism thread in the GD section that I wrote some time back.

The two guys filling the religion information blank is treated the same as any other Hindu.

So the only people who do these types of stunts are Hindus :) and these two politicians are probably hindus. There is nothing revolutionary about this. Now if these very same people fight against religious discrimination by their govt, that would be revolutionary.

Only in India where govt discrimination along religious lines is accepted and even celebrated while a person following religion in private capacity is ridiculed!

Post 8 (Mr Falcon), Post 9 (Mr KB)

Understand both your post. I am unable to understand how followers of major religions in the world (Christianity, Islam) are considered minorities and given special privileges.

My comment is towards a common-sense government that need not 'know' about one's religion. That will make both government and religion better..

When GOI wanted to conduct a caste census Big B (Shri Amitabh Bachchan) roared that his caste is Indian..How many have the guts to take on the Government?

One of the people I knew gave up eating Bitter melon after visiting Kashi. Then his wife joked that he never ate it anyway even before going to Kashi.

Same thing if you do not have any advantage, you can easily give it up, and claim political points.

If that MLA was a minority and gave up from claiming it, it will be newsworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back