• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Speeding up by slowing down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

From Time Management expert David Allen's blog; it came in as an email.
GTD is acronym for Getting Things Done, a common sense approach to managing priorities in life.

=============================================================

I want to talk about one of the more mysterious best practices in the GTD® methodology: the art of speeding up by slowing down.

I am making the assumption that all of you reading this are on some track of improvement and growth to begin with. I mean, why speed up, instead of slow down, as an end-result? If we were here to merely fulfill entropy, the thicker, duller, slower, and generally more unconscious we became, the more on track we would experience ourselves. I have to admit I do have some component inside of me that seems to align with that—my comedy team of Sloth and Indolence, with their cute little assistant, Gravity. Pretty seductive, especially as I move into my later years, to give in to that siren’s call.

There is a more dynamic and more “real” part of me, though. It is naturally buoyant, has direction, is continually expansive and is in upward movement. The trick is how to maximize my alignment with that. If someone asked me whether I would consider expressing that with more effort instead of less, I would say, no, I’m not interested. (For me, increasing productivity means getting a result with as little effort as possible.) But if what we’re getting to here is how to truly access more and more of that refreshing, rewarding, and fulfilling aspect of ourselves, is “working harder” required to get there...? No.

One of the subtlest ways that positive energy retreats from us is in our busy-ness. Losing perspective in trying to control everything, finish it all, fix it all—all at once. It shows up in ways like practicing Getting Things Done® out of frustration instead of inspiration, or helping yourself and others out of compulsion, not compassion.

One of the greatest lessons I have learned and continually must practice is that in order to really be in control, I must surrender. In the martial arts things must be held lightly. Grabbing too tight, whether it’s my muscles, my ego, my trowel, or my lists of projects and actions, can be dangerous and ultimately ineffective. I must at a moment’s notice be ready to let go, walk away from it all, and do nothing. Nothing at all. As a matter of fact, your ability to do nothing—to be idle, to daydream, to nap peacefully, to give yourself permission for 100% zoning out—is a hallmark of GTD maturity. And if you don’t believe me, just read the plethora of new data from the cognitive scientists about the need for the brain to rest—daily. That’s a bit tough to do, though, unless you’re REALLY onto the GTD game.

I must at a moment’s notice be ready to let go, walk away from it all, and do nothing. Nothing at all. As a matter of fact, your ability to do nothing—to be idle, to daydream, to nap peacefully, to give yourself permission for 100% zoning out—is a hallmark of GTD maturity. And if you don’t believe me, just read the plethora of new data from the cognitive scientists about the need for the brain to rest—daily. That’s a bit tough to do, though, unless you’re REALLY onto the GTD game.

I practice this (according to others) GTD all the time. I go to Yoga class to do Shavasana. But it does not hemp me during meditation.

I hope it is not considered irrelevant.
Shavasana is a pose usually done at the end of a yoga practice in which practitioners lay flat on their backs with the heels spread as wide as the yoga mat and the arms at the sides of the body, palms facing upward.

Last edited:
One of the greatest lessons I have learned and continually must practice is that in order to really be in control, I must surrender. In the martial arts things must be held lightly. Grabbing too tight, whether it’s my muscles, my ego, my trowel, or my lists of projects and actions, can be dangerous and ultimately ineffective. I must at a moment’s notice be ready to let go, walk away from it all, and do nothing. Nothing at all. As a matter of fact, your ability to do nothing—to be idle, to daydream, to nap peacefully, to give yourself permission for 100% zoning out—is a hallmark of GTD maturity. And if you don’t believe me, just read the plethora of new data from the cognitive scientists about the need for the brain to rest—daily. That’s a bit tough to do, though, unless you’re REALLY onto the GTD game.

I practice this (according to others) GTD all the time. I go to Yoga class to do Shavasana. But it does not hemp me during meditation.

Shavasana is a pose usually done at the end of a yoga practice in which practitioners lay flat on their backs with the heels spread as wide as the yoga mat and the arms at the sides of the body, palms facing upward.

The quoted portion from shri tks' post refers, imo, to a cultivated habit of being able to remain unaffected by changes in events around us and to be able to refrain from all activities. Shavasana and other yogic poses may but only assist in doing this.

Not commenting on GTD, but cultivating the habit of being unaffected by events itself is a major step in clearing the mucous of the mind. It brings an inner tranquil.

The quoted portion from shri tks' post refers, imo, to a cultivated habit of being able to remain unaffected by changes in events around us and to be able to refrain from all activities. Shavasana and other yogic poses may but only assist in doing this.

Not commenting on GTD, but cultivating the habit of being unaffected by events itself is a major step in clearing the mucous of the mind. It brings an inner tranquil.

That is a correct interpretation in my view

To be honest even to do NOTHING the whole body is still engaged as much as doing ANYTHING.

Its just a perception that we are letting go..relaxing..slowing down.

Rest or Unrest in the real sense there is no difference.

To speed up by slowing down itself shows the axis of the mind is TIME.

So techincally as long as we exists..we are always relating to TIME and no actual Slowing down or Speeding up for the matter is all that different.

Simple example is to acheive the No Make Up look for womans face..one actually puts on a great deal of make up to acheive that look.

Likewise..speeding up or slowing down is just a perception..both.involve a great deal of effort.

The Parasympathetic system of the body knows no rest.

Background function is there even in a comatose person.

So what is true slowing down?

Death?

May be Not for all we might never know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back